Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,888 times

Advertisements

Looking for an office job as an office clark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,860 times
Default Boise Social Services Job Market

Hi Torrie!

Thanks for beginning this thread. I am lifelong Georgia resident but I have been looking to make a big change and have recently been looking to relocate out West. Lately, my interest has been directed at the Boise area. It looks like a great metro that is growing at an acceptable pace (I lived in Atlanta for a while-talk about a lack of planning for growth!) I stumbled onto this thread due to concerns expressed in other threads over the struggle to find a job in the Boise area. I recently finished my master's in social work and have one year post-degree experience in social services (dept of family and children services-not sure what it is called there). Just curious, what is the job market like for social services and, specifically, non-profits in the Boise area? I also have university experience (go GA State!), so I was also wondering about the difficulty of getting on staff at Boise State. Is it extremely competitive? Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. Again great thread...

Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerck_uga_msw View Post
Hi Torrie!

Thanks for beginning this thread. I am lifelong Georgia resident but I have been looking to make a big change and have recently been looking to relocate out West. Lately, my interest has been directed at the Boise area. It looks like a great metro that is growing at an acceptable pace (I lived in Atlanta for a while-talk about a lack of planning for growth!) I stumbled onto this thread due to concerns expressed in other threads over the struggle to find a job in the Boise area. I recently finished my master's in social work and have one year post-degree experience in social services (dept of family and children services-not sure what it is called there). Just curious, what is the job market like for social services and, specifically, non-profits in the Boise area? I also have university experience (go GA State!), so I was also wondering about the difficulty of getting on staff at Boise State. Is it extremely competitive? Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. Again great thread...
Hello! Glad this thread offers some help to you. My hope in starting this, was to give people an idea of where the jobs might be as new companies come into the area. Boise's market is quite competitive so it's definitely better to come with a job in hand, otherwise you might find yourself in a pickle.

Currently I don't have any insight to offer on your particular field; maybe someone on this forum, who works in social services would be able to offer you some solid information. I can give you a link that will give you a ballpark idea of what average salary might be. Every year, Idaho puts out the Occupational Wage & Employment Report which lists all the occupations in the state of Idaho. Looks like this year they broke it down by region so it will be easier to go through. Below is the link for SW Idaho, which includes Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owhyee, Payette, Valley, Washington counties and Boise City-Nampa.

http://lmi.idaho.gov/LinkClick.aspx?...=2090&mid=2705

If you want to compare the salaries to other regions in Idaho, go here:

Occupational Employment & Wage Report 2008

One more link....in case you haven't found this yet.....here's the job posts for BSU:

Boise State University ~ Human Resource Services (http://hrs.boisestate.edu/joblistings/ - broken link)

Best of luck and let us know if we can offer anymore help.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 PM

Report shows Idaho still has doctor shortage

Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Here's an update article; looks like they're due to open up by the end of the year.......so I'm sure there are some job opportunities here.

Meridian expecting organic co-op and deli by end of the year | West Ada County | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/westada/story/484401.html - broken link)

Not sure they'll make the Dec 08 opening, but at least they're working in the right direction.

Meridian co-op grocery organizers eye bylaws

Old 11-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Default Job Lead for an Academic Dean

Considering a move to Boise? I've got a great job lead......looking for someone who has a background in education that would meet qualifications for an Academic Dean. Job is available immediately. This is a nice opportunity, and I'd love to be able to help out a fellow forum member.

If you're interested, please contact me by clicking on my name and sending me a direct message. I'll put you in contact with the appropriate people. Best of luck!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:08 AM

93 posts, read 313,428 times
Hi All,

DirecTV is hiring Customer Service Reps, installers and Field Managers. Just thought I would let everyone know.

DIRECTV: DIRECTV Careers?

May not pay as much as you'd like, but with the economy the way it is (my aunt just got laid off from MPC this week), I'll take what I can get!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:05 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
I think the Qwest call center downtown is pretty much a revolving door for employment. It may not be much, but it might be enough to meet your obligations if your in a pinch.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
Here is a link about a new program opening up at ISU Pocatello for folks interested in a two year degree with starting salary between 50-75K and assured hire:

Energy Systems Technology and Education Center opening at Idaho State University in Pocatello, Ribbon Cutting this week!

Excellent fast track career training opportunities.

http://www.kpvi.com/global/video/pop...age&clipFormat=

Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM

229 posts, read 706,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I think the Qwest call center downtown is pretty much a revolving door for employment. It may not be much, but it might be enough to meet your obligations if your in a pinch.
In between that and being a customer service rep at DirecTV, there will probably never be a shortage of jobs where customers are angry or upset at you all day! You have to be a certain type to put up with that day in and day out. I've been out of work since I moved here in July 2007 and will take most of the available employment at this point, but doing something like that has to be mentally draining and not good for the soul. I feel for you if you are employed like that, although I do envy your cash flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area