Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 09:37 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

I heard that the company Agon Sports has a pro-soccer team. I don't remember if it's pro or semi-pro. But more on the current proposal here:

https://boisedev.com/project/les-boi...-stadium-site/

Boise turned down the new stadium because of tax burdens. Would Meridian or the county of Ada welcome it or would they reject it as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:27 PM

131 posts, read 197,695 times
I think the era of tax payers being burdened with sports teams fancy digs has passed. They can pay for their own [mod cut] stadiums.

Last edited by volosong; 05-03-2020 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: mildy profane adjactive not needed for meaning of sentence.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:00 PM

278 posts, read 906,462 times
I'm not sure why it is socially acceptable for sports teams to expect free stadiums from taxpayers. If a team is willing to actually invest in their own facility, I'm sure it would happen.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:10 AM

Has any sports teams built stadiums without tax payers help? There’s other areas with cheaper land near Boise. Green Bay packers stadium is like an hour out.

EDIT: It's rare, but found a site with some places that were able to finance their own teams.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonno.../#34c0843d6fb9

Last edited by the city; 05-03-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 10:36 AM

289 posts, read 311,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsgrrl View Post
I think the era of tax payers being burdened with sports teams fancy digs has passed. They can pay for their own [mod cut] stadiums.
I wish you were correct on this but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be the case when you look at the most recent mega stadiums built recently or currently being built. The cumulative number is probably in the billions in public financing. LA and Atlanta come to mind.

I say give up on funding large stadiums and super libraries (looking at you Boise) and put that money into necessary infrastructure, which EVERY large city can vastly benefit from. Considering there are recent studies suggesting we're not seeing the economic boost we were promised from these mega stadiums.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:37 PM

47 posts, read 54,424 times
The stadium/MegaLibrary ship has sailed. That was Dave Bieter's thing, and he got thrown out of office last November. By a super majority! Ada County certainly won't be funding a stadium, and no other towns in the valley have the budget or political support to build one. So we might as well put a fork in it. People are frustrated about taxes that keep going up.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalbabe208 View Post
The stadium/MegaLibrary ship has sailed. That was Dave Bieter's thing, and he got thrown out of office last November. By a super majority! Ada County certainly won't be funding a stadium, and no other towns in the valley have the budget or political support to build one. So we might as well put a fork in it. People are frustrated about taxes that keep going up.
I think there are some cases where stadiums have been financed without tax payer support.

I think the area just doesn't have enough population yet to make sense for developers to bring a team in and finance it by itself. Austin just got a pro soccer team and there's more people in that metro. Boise doesn't need semi-pro which is what is proposed.

Last edited by the city; 05-03-2020 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 05:51 PM

1,246 posts, read 824,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Has any sports teams built stadiums without tax payers help? There’s other areas with cheaper land near Boise. Green Bay packers stadium is like an hour out.
Lambeau Field is about 3 miles from downtown Green Bay.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Lambeau Field is about 3 miles from downtown Green Bay.
Green Bay isn't a major city though. Green Bay is not near Milwaukee, the major city for WI. Let's be honest, Milwaukee is a huge fan population support for that stadium.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:33 PM

47 posts, read 54,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I think there are some cases where stadiums have been financed without tax payer support.
Boise doesn't have a good history with pro-sports. Our minor league basketball team (Idaho Stampede) packed it in and left for Utah a few years ago. The Boise Hawks struggle to sell tickets. Even the Boise State Bronco football team have seen ticket sales continually fall the last few years. That is even without the coronavirus which will make it even tougher to run a pro sportsball team here. And soccer has never had a very big following in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area