Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,672 times

Advertisements

Husband wants to move from Oregon to Idaho within the next 2 months to be near his parents who recently moved to Meridian. This came as a complete surprise to me but am supportive of his wish. Inlaws are retired professionals who are happy in a nice subdivision. I'm nearly 70 and lived in mountains of Oregon all my life so the adjustment would be easier if I could stay rural. So our criteria are 1 hour or less from Meridian. Budget of 250 to 375k, large shop for husband, garden area and chickens for me and room for 3 dogs and a cat. Acreage and privacy would be a nice to have. What are the areas you would suggest we look first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 06:12 PM

213 posts, read 342,950 times
Melba, Horseshoe Bend, Emmett, Homedale, Mountain Home.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. Husband is leaving Thursday to look for homesand it's nice to have an idea where to concentrate his efforts. Ideally one would have more time for research before moving.....

Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
Outside Emmett would seem like a good choice to me.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:49 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon hillbilly View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply. Husband is leaving Thursday to look for homesand it's nice to have an idea where to concentrate his efforts. Ideally one would have more time for research before moving.....
Congradulations!!

Old 06-10-2020, 06:12 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,032 times
Mountain Home is not mountainous. Emmet is on the edge of a plain, so you would want to go north from there to be in some lower mountains.

So if you want to be in the mountains, then your hubby needs to look north along ID 55, which includes Horseshoe Bend and even as far up as Garden City, which is right at 1 hour from Meridian and is getting well up into the mountains that you would like. Also, Idaho City is deep into the mountains and forests and is an hour from Meridian via ID21.

The higher you go into the mountains, you will get considerably more snow than in the immediate Boise vicinity. It will involve good snow tires and a few days where you won't want to go out.

If you are from the Cascades, then things are going to be considerably drier all around the Boise region.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:30 AM

Drier huh. Are there areas where water is scarce? I've been looking at homes online and I dont see many green lawns.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:44 AM

131 posts, read 197,462 times
The Boise area is high mountain desert with little rain fall - if you do not water, it will not be green. We have wells for water and rely on mountain snow runoff for irrigation.

I’d suggest looking at Garden Valley area, more green and mountainous.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:03 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,032 times
The key for green in the northern Rockies is snow in winter that lays for a long time. That tends to come with elevation, or the farther north areas like northern ID and NW MT where the winters are cloudier and the snow lays more.

I personally like the high elevation areas in the region where you get a mix of high elevation grass and trees. But as burbsgrrl notes, when you get in the lower elevations like in the Treasure Valley like Meridian and Boise, not much snow lays and the land is more arid. Idaho City is heavily forested at around 4000'. Garden City is a slightly higher elevation (than Boise) valley area, as you might guess LOL. Even where the snow lays in winter, most of central and southern ID will get dry in mid-late summer, including the mountain regions.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:05 AM

A learning opportunity.
We should be able to find a place where I can grow veg garden and flower beds if we are willing to pour on the water, correct? Wells usually have unlimited water? The upside i guess is no more moss growing on everything left outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area