Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,663 times

Advertisements

I live in Boise and have owned a home in the bench since 2016. In my opinion, there are a lot of factors that contribute to why the cost in home ownership has risen so much. Retirees from more expensive areas find that they are able to afford more home for their money, the demand exceeds the supply of homes, and millennials are also in the market to buy homes and prefer to live in areas where downtown, the foothills, and BSU are more accessible. I chose to live in Boise rather than Meridian/Nampa/Caldwell to be closer to work (downtown) and things to do. If you don’t have to be near those things areas outside of Boise are fine. The commute from Caldwell and Nampa isn’t terrible and their downtowns are up and coming as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 08:28 PM

215 posts, read 258,723 times
Default Sorry, public transportation is not the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLeeSpeaking View Post
But this affects the entire region. Eagle is not immune to growth in Boise or Nampa, and vice versa. The roads clog up the same. Consider State St. and Eagle Rd., which are the two main roads in and out from Eagle, and people driving from Meridian or Boise. Public transportation is a huge factor in this.
[mod cut] Public transportation in a city the size of Eagle will not work. It didn’t work in CA either unless you were low income and had to ride the Metro. And no one said we are immune to growth, but it does not need to be high density apartments.....NO, NO!

Last edited by volosong; 07-08-2020 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Innapropriate question. DM the moderator if necessary.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:20 PM

47 posts, read 54,424 times
...and it will be affordable again. There is so much up in the air right now in regards to economic disruptions, unemployment, mortgage defaults, foreclosure forbearance, credit markets etc. that you'd have to be nuts to finance any house purchase right now, much less pay the inflated asking prices that you see on the internet. But no doubt there will be a ton of "knife catchers" who will do so anyway. Prices don't hit bottom overnight, and it will take several years for it to all play out.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:15 PM

127 posts, read 140,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalbabe208 View Post
...and it will be affordable again. There is so much up in the air right now in regards to economic disruptions, unemployment, mortgage defaults, foreclosure forbearance, credit markets etc. that you'd have to be nuts to finance any house purchase right now, much less pay the inflated asking prices that you see on the internet. But no doubt there will be a ton of "knife catchers" who will do so anyway. Prices don't hit bottom overnight, and it will take several years for it to all play out.
I don't think the house prices are even inflated, unfortunately. It's only going to keep trending up for a long time. Boise is decades behind other west coast cities in terms of pricing and people were lucky things were affordable for as long as they were. It's a sad reality.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:02 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
I don't think the house prices are even inflated, unfortunately. It's only going to keep trending up for a long time. Boise is decades behind other west coast cities in terms of pricing and people were lucky things were affordable for as long as they were. It's a sad reality.
One can always buy a "cheap" house in the Midwest but quality of life is poorer overall.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When relocating to another state people look for a place that's a close as possible to where they left, but less expensive. That caused the mass transplanting from the California Bay Area to the Seattle area in the 1980-90s. Now with the prices here getting so high, along with other reasons people are looking at Boise, and with the increased demand prices go high quickly, just as happened here.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:26 PM

355 posts, read 564,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When relocating to another state people look for a place that's a close as possible to where they left, but less expensive. That caused the mass transplanting from the California Bay Area to the Seattle area in the 1980-90s. Now with the prices here getting so high, along with other reasons people are looking at Boise, and with the increased demand prices go high quickly, just as happened here.
I think it's that as much or more than the prices (unless it's retirees with equity). Costs of living are based on income and expenses, and although prices are lower here, salaries are MUCH lower unless you can telecommute.

However, other reasons (look at the carnage in Seattle over the last month or two) are speeding up the process for many. Hopefully people leave their baggage behind, like I did, and move here because they like it and not because they want to change it.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:57 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I remember the 90's and the great migration from CA to Washington state well. I had in-laws move up to Whatcom Co. up by the Canadian border. That was a real nice place. I went up there and stayed there. Rural and nice. I was going to move there years ago after planning retirement. But now everyone is leaving that place. Also the prices have gone sky high and the laws have become as bad as CA laws.

Things are always constantly changing. I wish we could find someplace that didn't.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:25 PM

629 posts, read 619,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Also the prices have gone sky high and the laws have become as bad as CA laws.

So a place flooded with Californians ends up as crappy as California? However can such a thing happen...? This concept confuses me...

Old 07-14-2020, 12:06 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Stop blaming Californians. Housing markets rise and fall because of demand, or lack thereof. If there is a strong central employment center (such as the Boise metro area) --(before covid)-- then prices will simply adjust to what those are willing to pay for them. A strong economy almost always produces higher prices. Californians who move to Idaho are not increasing prices, the economy is. Part of that may be newcomers who add to those looking to buy, but if you get into the stats, it is really current residents who are driving up prices due to a favorable economy. --(again before covid)--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: