Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:31 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
One thing to know is that median Boise house prices have just now finally reached the national median. The buying pressure of many people wanting to relocate and being a less spoiled city is a current event, so to speak. So Boise still looks good for prices compared to higher priced areas.

How well wages will follow this, IDK. But I think the work from home situation will tend to drive wages flat or down. Those newly working from home probably don't realize that the pool of other potential employees for their job just got a LOT bigger.
I think wages may start increasing slowly. Last year in the news it mentioned Idaho's median income was rising. I would post links, but it appears for some strange reaseon that this forum does not allow copy and paste anymore, really weird.

Even though some people are working from home there is still impressive job growth and commercial real estate growth in Boise and the metro from companies relocating here from California and other states, thus increasing competition for employees and increasing wages.

On another note, we are not unique in this current situation. Many growing cities in the West are experiencig the same with rising home prices and low wages. Same story in Salt Lake, people complain about low wages compared to the cost of living.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:13 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I would post links, but it appears for some strange reaseon that this forum does not allow copy and paste anymore, really weird.
Not "really weird". The "strange reason" is due to copyright restrictions. It is still permissible to post links to on-line articles, (except for competing web sites to City Data), and even post a small part of the article, (under the "fair use" doctrine). What is not allowed is the posting of the entire, or even a lengthy portion of, an article.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-03-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not "really weird". The "strange reason" is due to copyright restrictions. It is still permissible to post links to on-line articles, (except for competing web sites to City Data), and even post a small part of the article, (under the "fair use" doctrine). What is not allowed is the posting of the entire, or even a lengthy portion of, an article.
It's still weird. I've tried copying and pasting links to local news sources and the forum will not allow it.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:38 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Without knowing exactly what you are trying to do, I can't envision what is not working for you. I've been able to post text and links. But then, I use the hypertags when doing so. Have to specifically add them.

[-quote]Type or paste some text here.[-/quote] (without the hyphens)

[-url]Paste the Uniform Resource Locator here.[-/url] (again, without the hyphens)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-03-2021, 06:04 PM

40 posts, read 38,451 times
We moved here in 2013 and bought a house in 2015. Meridian is a great place to live. We have another spot in mind that we can go back to the small town feel and make a profit on this house Idaho has been amazing.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Without knowing exactly what you are trying to do, I can't envision what is not working for you. I've been able to post text and links. But then, I use the hypertags when doing so. Have to specifically add them.

[-quote]Type or paste some text here.[-/quote] (without the hyphens)

[-url]Paste the Uniform Resource Locator here.[-/url] (again, without the hyphens)

That is what has changed. Used to be able to simply copy and paste a link into the body of the post without using the hypertag icon above. The forum has been updated to only allow use of the hypertag icon. Other options have been disabled such as the function to "cut" verbiage.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:35 PM

Here is a go at the new City Data "Insert Link" icon.

Here is a new example of job growth in Boise.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...e249689898.htm

Firm says it will open Boise factory, hire 146 workers at average $50,000 yearly pay

Old 03-04-2021, 03:01 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I guess "affordable" is a relative term. If you consider that the lions share of folks have incomes below 60k a year and an average home in most areas directly in the Boise area are way over the $300k range it's hard to imagine if you're NOT one of those from Cali coming from a Million dollar home sale ready to plunk down the cash for a mortgage free life one could consider moving to the area. It continues to amaze me how many come prepared to lay down the serious bucks for these homes at or above the half million mark, of which there are so very many being built at this time. Oh well.......must be nice to be so well off.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:30 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I guess "affordable" is a relative term. If you consider that the lions share of folks have incomes below 60k a year and an average home in most areas directly in the Boise area are way over the $300k range it's hard to imagine if you're NOT one of those from Cali coming from a Million dollar home sale ready to plunk down the cash for a mortgage free life one could consider moving to the area. It continues to amaze me how many come prepared to lay down the serious bucks for these homes at or above the half million mark, of which there are so very many being built at this time. Oh well.......must be nice to be so well off.
$60,000 per year can get you into Idaho?

Old 03-05-2021, 09:38 AM

213 posts, read 342,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
$60,000 per year can get you into Idaho?

INTO Idaho? I'm not sure.

But if you're already established in Idaho before the last 2 years, then yes, it's doable. Especially if you're fortunate to have purchased a house before 2019.

Another huge factor of things is how much debt you already have. $1500/month of debt will pinch you a lot more at $60k vs. somebody who is debt free. They basically get an extra $18,000 a year to "play" with. That can make/break a lot of folks at $60k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area