Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 08:08 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Mind if I ask why those friends of yours moved from Arco?
I never asked any of them!
If you want to continue about Arco, lets do it in the Idaho forum. Boise is a long way away from Arco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 08:53 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,790 times
Arco!! Pickles Place!! The hills have eyes.

If I were to live in the Lost River Valley, I would choose Mackey or Challis which are up the highway from Arco.

I drove through there last year and noticed some nice big homes being built near the town. Beautiful area.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:35 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Arco!! Pickles Place!! The hills have eyes.

If I were to live in the Lost River Valley, I would choose Mackey or Challis which are up the highway from Arco.

I drove through there last year and noticed some nice big homes being built near the town. Beautiful area.
hOW about Idaho City?

Old 05-21-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
hOW about Idaho City?
It's a ghost town that's still has a few residents. The residents spend their idle time trying to keep the rest of town from burning down. The entire town is made from now ancient timber that's ready to light up as soon as the weather gets hot. Something there always does every couple of years.

Wildfire isn't mentioned here very much, but during fire season, if little rural town can be in serious trouble extremely fast.
Those towns typically have a volunteer fire department, and the department usually consists of one hand-me-down fire truck the town got for free from some larger city who had purchase newer ones.

I admire volunteers, but out here in the summer, most of them are going to be out working on the farm or some other rural job, so it could take them some time to get to the fire. If the wind kicks up, the fire can outrun the firemen and burn down a house.

This very thing happened to me once out on the Arco desert. My family had some old Quonset huts that were used on a piece of remote farmland for temp housing. The both had old railroad wood-burning stoves for heat.
We were out working on a half finished building in mid-December when the wind kicked up and started a down-draft in the wood stove, just after a kid who was a farmhand overloaded the stove.

The downdraft acted like a bellows on the fire, and it overheated the chimney, which set the sawdust insulation on fire in the between the inner Masonite ceiling panels and the corrugated steel roof.

We were all outside and never noticed the fire until we went inside to warm up. By then the fire had really gotten going but the old Masonite panels that made up ceiling hadn't lit up yet.

My bro grabbed a stepladder and began opening up the ceiling with a shovel and I ran hunting a water hose.
The hose was frozen solid, so I ran into the hut's bathroom and connected it to the little hot water heater in it.
The hot water in the tank melted the ice in the hose, and we put out the fire pretty fast once ice plug blew out and there was water in the hose.

The kid who was with us had run down the road and called the County Fire Dept. as soon as we noticed the fire, but by the time the fire truck arrived, close to an hour had passed, and the fire had been out for 45 minutes.

The crew chief was amazed we put it out. He said that if we had run outside and waited for them, as is usual, the. Quonset would have burned to the ground in about the same time it took to put it out.

I was trained to fight fire first in the Navy, where there is no Fire Dept. option at sea, and my training made me hate fire like it is a personal enemy. I don't know why my bro had a similar impulse.

We had already planned on spending the night out there instead of trying to drive out in the windstorm. That's what we did, after the fire was out. The place was a stinky dripping mess, but it was still warm and habitable.

Later that night, I realized that, if I hadn't spotted the hose connection on the water heater instantly, both of us would have been trapped by the fire as soon as the Masonite ceiling panel lit up, and it was beginning to smoke by the time water finally hit it.

The fire was between us and the only outside door in the place. We had nothing to chop our way out through the corrugated steel outer shell.

That was back around 1974, before cell phones. But even a cell phone call wouldn't have sped the response; the wind was high, and the only road to the place was full of drifting snow. Zero visibility.
The fire truck couldn't drive that road very fast in those conditions.

That was the only time I every used my naval fire training, but my bro put out another fire later on in a relative's cabin.

Last edited by banjomike; 05-22-2021 at 01:11 AM..

Old 05-22-2021, 12:20 AM

My last post bears another thing that should be mentioned about old farm houses and cabins.

That sawdust insulation I mentioned was extremely common. Cedar sawdust is light, doesn't pack and settle very much, doesn't dry rot, and doesn't attract bugs or mice. It also smells very nice and pleasant.

And it's free. It was easy to light up, but it was much better insulation than none at all. It's still up in lots of old cabin ceilings, in in the walls and ceilings of any frame structure today.

It's all old enough now that it's lost its scent, so a person would have to see it to know its there. And its now all old enough to be as dry and explosive as gun cotton if air can get to it.

Be very careful with fire in any old cabin. Newer ones are pretty safe, but the older ones may not be. I can never tell which aren't, most of the time.
Keep a coffee can full of water next to the stove or fireplace along with another coffee can full of sand. If one won't put out a little spark, the other will, and dumping both in the stove at the same time will extinguish the fire fast.

Of course, a fire extinguisher is better. The coffee cans were the old-time extinguishers. Every sheep camp had them.

Last edited by banjomike; 05-22-2021 at 01:12 AM..

Old 05-22-2021, 08:00 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
hOW about Idaho City?
Idaho City is unusual... it's an old mining town that was never abandoned, and the 1st state capitol. Has a good number of newer homes and cabins in the area but it is all in a high forested region of the mountains and sets in some narrow mountain valleys.... though not as narrow as Lowman further north. As Mike notes, it is all surrounded by heavy forest; pretty much the opposite of the mixed desert/grassland of Arco.

45 minute drive or so to Boise for supplies on ID21. ID21 is pretty twisty and so would not be any easy drive in winter snows. Gonna get plenty of snow so I don't think you would want that with the road salt.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Idaho City is unusual... it's an old mining town that was never abandoned, and the 1st state capitol. Has a good number of newer homes and cabins in the area but it is all in a high forested region of the mountains and sets in some narrow mountain valleys.... though not as narrow as Lowman further north. As Mike notes, it is all surrounded by heavy forest; pretty much the opposite of the mixed desert/grassland of Arco.

45 minute drive or so to Boise for supplies on ID21. ID21 is pretty twisty and so would not be any easy drive in winter snows. Gonna get plenty of snow so I don't think you would want that with the road salt.
Well done, ham.
You're correct about 21; it's what the Idaho board of transportation likes to call a scenic cruise.

A couple who are 2 of my oldest friends moved there from Boise after they bought a little piece of land on More's Creek. John is a very fine woodworking craftsman who makes furniture, ornamental boxes and such. He's as good a carpenter, and he built their house.

More's Creek was dredged at least once for gold so his property is pretty much a gravel pile, but it has a very nice view and the dredging piles actually shield it from wind in the winters. The dredging also made More's Creek taste sulfuric. Sulfuric acid is used to leach gold from ore, so there's a lot of it in the soil in all our old mining towns. More's Creek gravel was yellow with sulfur.

His wife worked at a very well-known department store in downtown Boise creating advertising for the store. It was a very good job she had for at least 20 years.
It forced her to drive ID21 every morning around sunup or in the dark. The road runs over the top of the Lucky Peak Dam at one point, and in the spillway of the dam shoots up a mist that's just heavier than mist, a light spray.

During one winter morning, her car hit a patch of black ice on that spray spot and there was water on top of the ice. Her car instantly cut 3 360s, then bounced off the guard rail.

She wasn't speeding, thank God. The rail held, and she was able to drive the car into Boise.

The wreck could have been much worse, but the drive made her so anxious that eventually she began having panic attacks.

Since she didn't want to take away John's house, but couldn't live there any longer, they settled and quietly divorced. She found a little home that was fine for her in the North End, and moved on, but he never did.
They both play music, and I've stayed in loose touch with them both, and they still miss each other, though both are happy now. She sold the house and purchased a new town house in the downtown district, and he's still living on More's Creek.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:29 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,019 times
Idaho City is a pretty place....and so is ID21. I like driving the road for scenery, but commuting to Boise everyday would be a challenge. It is not the time and distance.... it is the grades and curves and exposures and such. Going back and forth to Garden Valley would be easier but still some similarities. Fine when dry....

I commuted 1.3-1.5 hours each way each day in the Blue Ridge Mtns for 2 years and I concluded that eventually hitting a deer was something that was gonna happen sooner or later. Stopped that job before the expected deer hit happened...

Old 05-26-2021, 12:01 AM

435 posts, read 453,863 times
105% average home price growth in Boise in the past 5 years.... yeah I'd say thats a little "frothy".

Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
105% average home price growth in Boise in the past 5 years.... yeah I'd say thats a little "frothy".
Be very careful in this market. Look what happened to homes prices in 2009. And it can happen very fast again, without any warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area