Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 05:16 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times

Advertisements

Boise is the star in the Inland Northwest as far as the job market is concerned. There are small towns north of Boise in the forests and of course North Idaho.

I would take into consideration the forest fires the West has been plagued with and sadly may only get worse. Forested areas have their negatives and fire is a huge factor to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 05:26 PM

25 posts, read 39,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Boise is the star in the Inland Northwest as far as the job market is concerned. There are small towns north of Boise in the forests and of course North Idaho.

I would take into consideration the forest fires the West has been plagued with and sadly may only get worse. Forested areas have their negatives and fire is a huge factor to consider.
Good point. It may be best for me to live in a place that is peaceful enough to enjoy but without the fire risk, and then travel into nature when I want to

Old 10-06-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LE2021 View Post
Good point. It may be best for me to live in a place that is peaceful enough to enjoy but without the fire risk, and then travel into nature when I want to
The excellent aspect of Boise for us nature lovers is the city is in a natural setting with outdoor activities in city limits and there is a gorgeous wooded river corridor. Of course the forests and mountains are our backyard.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:58 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE2021 View Post
That is the exact reason I live in southeast Idaho.

Old 10-07-2021, 01:19 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
If you want a northern town with more trees and green in a large city then Spokane, WA is an option. A step down (size wise) would be Missoula, MT. Fort Collins, CO is a similar vision of Boise. A bit smaller population-wise, brown to the east and north, but with a nice green belt, a university, and mountains to the west. My son moved there after college for his first post-college job and loved the area for 6 years or so, then last year his girlfriend got a job in Denver so he moved down with her (he now works remote).

Old 10-07-2021, 02:26 PM

25 posts, read 39,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The excellent aspect of Boise for us nature lovers is the city is in a natural setting with outdoor activities in city limits and there is a gorgeous wooded river corridor. Of course the forests and mountains are our backyard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
That is the exact reason I live in southeast Idaho.
Those are the exact reasons that are making me consider it, it sounds like a great lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
If you want a northern town with more trees and green in a large city then Spokane, WA is an option. A step down (size wise) would be Missoula, MT. Fort Collins, CO is a similar vision of Boise. A bit smaller population-wise, brown to the east and north, but with a nice green belt, a university, and mountains to the west. My son moved there after college for his first post-college job and loved the area for 6 years or so, then last year his girlfriend got a job in Denver so he moved down with her (he now works remote).
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check out Ft Collins too. My goal along with a better town to live in is to be close enough to a major job market to be able to get a stable job. Is that possible in Ft Collins or would I be better suited to move to the Denver/surrounding areas if I decided on CO?

Old 10-07-2021, 04:15 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
There is plenty of work in Fort Collins and the surrounding cities (Loveland, Greeley), and my son commuted up to Cheyenne, WY for his second job post college job before he went independent as a contract project manager. He had no problem finding work when he left his first job. Lots of companies are located in the Fort Collins area so they can tap into CSU graduates, but still, lots of jobs in the area for transplants. I'm sure you can find some job search engines that cover what you are looking for, and cover Fort Collins. Good Luck.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:35 PM

Fort Collins is a lot smaller than Boise but is near Denver. Colorado wouldn't be my first choice and the Front Range isn't exactly a green and forested area and a good portion of accessible forests near there are dying from bark beetles or have burned.

My experiences and research has shown that outside of the West side of the Cascades and North Idaho/Spokane, is that Boise is the city nearest the greatest expanse of vast forests in the Mountain West.

You should probably visit cities
you're interested in and see which vibe calls you.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:01 PM

705 posts, read 505,773 times
If you consider Idaho, better be pro Second Amendment 100%. Otherwise, please do not move there.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:10 PM

435 posts, read 453,758 times
Thank you for your interest, however Idaho is full. May I suggest Colorado? It's a lovely place and at least half the populace are Californians like yourself anyways. You'd fit right in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area