Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 01:00 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sadryheat View Post
I am aware that Boise is in southwest Idaho and not North. I got the impression from someone in Boise that rentals, especially short-term, were hard to get. Since commuting for work would not be a factor for us we thought maybe we should be open to temporary housing elsewhere. Since you are a landlord, I thought you might have something. But, after further consideration, it would not be practical since the distance would make the house search difficult.

The info about calling and asking for short-term even though the ad doesn't indicate it is good.

Rentals are in demand and hard to find. There are several new apartment buildings that have been built in downtown and some may offer short term rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 01:44 PM

166 posts, read 115,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Though the commute is still pretty easy in the Boise metro, it is getting worse over time and there are some usual choke points. I don't think the city/county/state are planning any major highway infrastructure builds, beyond widening I84 out west, which won't help with the current choke points. I suggest you look for housing fairly close to your workplace, or at least look at how you would have to commute daily. Eagle to Micron wouldn't be a great daily commute for example, though I'm sure plenty of people do it, and there are worse commutes. Compared to driving across Phoenix it would still be a breeze, but still I wouldn't want to spend ~30 minutes in my car twice a day. The longer term rental is likely a good idea as you figure out the best ways to navigate the Boise area.
Since we are retired, commuting for work is not a concern. But I appreciate your input. You are so right about the comparison to driving across Phoenix. I can understand the long-time residents in Boise Metro are not happy with the increase in traffic. But I was there mid-June this year in 5:00 traffic on Eagle Road and I will gladly take that over the traffic here. Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Rentals are in demand and hard to find. There are several new apartment buildings that have been built in downtown and some may offer short term rentals.
That is what I heard and the only reason why for a moment we considered renting in North Idaho for a while. However, that would not be ideal. We need to be close enough to run over and look at potential homes as they come up. We are really hoping to find a house for rent. Otherwise, we will have to put much of our furnishings in storage. But, we may have to take what we can get. Thank you, Syringaloid, for the info on the new apartments.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:46 PM

89 posts, read 47,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The "poster" in question really doesn't know much about the Boise area.
No, she doesn’t.
Some posters just like to post regardless of their experience.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:04 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
Quote:
Hi, oregonwoodsmoke. Thanks so much for your reply.

I am also somewhat of a clean freak. I once rented a townhouse and after I moved out, I received a check refunding the cleaning deposit with a note from the landlords saying that the place had never looked better. During an open house here a few weeks ago someone told our realtor he couldn't believe how clean the house is. So, we would be very responsible tenants.
I truly believe that you, like me, are clean renters.
Leaving a rental super clean, way cleaner than when you moved in, means nothing to big corporation rental companies. They will squash a renter like a bug, and claim (with bogus pictures), that you trashed the property, for more profit.
Best bet is to work, ONE-ON-ONE with landlord/owner rental. Avoid big corperations and property management companies.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
I truly believe that you, like me, are clean renters.
Leaving a rental super clean, way cleaner than when you moved in, means nothing to big corporation rental companies. They will squash a renter like a bug, and claim (with bogus pictures), that you trashed the property, for more profit.
Best bet is to work, ONE-ON-ONE with landlord/owner rental. Avoid big corperations and property management companies.
That is a pretty ruthless thing for corporations to do! Thanks for the warning. I am not sure how much control we will have over who we rent from. But I will do my best to rent directly from a homeowner. And probably take my own pictures and/or video before and after moving out.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:28 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
Quote:
That is a pretty ruthless thing for corporations to do! Thanks for the warning. I am not sure how much control we will have over who we rent from. But I will do my best to rent directly from a homeowner. And probably take my own pictures and/or video before and after moving out.
Most major corporations only have one goal. To make a big profit for the "chairholders". Year after year.
Best to do business with the little guy, if he's fair and square to you, and reverse
Good landlord to tenant, old fashion partnership.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:16 PM

10 posts, read 10,201 times
Quote:
After a very long search we found a house in and made an offer with a 30-day contingency to sell ours.
You found a house in . . . where?

Old 07-23-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityDweller View Post
You found a house in . . . where?
Idaho.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:56 AM

10 posts, read 10,201 times
Quote:
Well, after so many years of dreaming of moving to the Boise area
I knew that by "Boise" which I know is in Idaho. What city? I think you mentioned Eagle in one of your posts. Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area