Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 04:35 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Ada County, as of the last presidential election is leaning Purple. I bet the numbers change even more for Ada after we see the results from the next presidential election. The local news is all about the current record numbers of women registering to vote in Idaho and I bet most of us know why. Of interest is that Ada County usually votes against the rest of the state for Gov and Lt. Gov. Both Democratic nominees easily won the last election in Ada County.
It's more liberal than the rest of Idaho, but it isn't nearly as liberal as the Bay Area.

Quote:
The Foothills rise to the Boise Mountains (these mountains cover a lot of land) which includes the tallest peaks are above the valley, think the Bogus Basin Area. The tallest seen from the valley is Shafer Butte (2 310m/7 579ft)
When you are up there and look around, there is a literal sea of forested mountains with the big snow covered peaks in the distance. You can also see the mountains south of the valley. It's a beautiful scene.
Thus, further proves that there are plenty of rugged areas near Boise, plenty of places for outdoor activities. The Foothills themselves, they could stand in for the hills of the Bay Area. The Boise Mountains provide even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 05:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Agreed, people moving here mostly aren't doing so for the farming. This is what I find puzzling about a couple from SF coming here to "grow their own food." Of course you can grow lots of different crops in ID. We have a little vegetable garden, as do many of our friends. Yet none of us would describe this as growing our own food, certainly not large enough to justify hiring someone to manage it. And good thing, because the unexpected cold snap/snow this last May pretty much wiped out our garden this year.

But a progressive couple moving here to start a hobby farm? Strikes me as odd. Something like Oregon's Willamette Valley would be a much better choice for them, IMO.
How did my description of them "gardening" morph into "farming" or a "hobby farm"?

"Growing their own food" meant vegetables. No orchard, no pigs, no chickens, etc.

Let me try it again: Growing some of their own food in a backyard garden that will be planted and tended by a hired gardener.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
How did my description of them "gardening" morph into "farming" or a "hobby farm"?

"Growing their own food" meant vegetables. No orchard, no pigs, no chickens, etc.

Let me try it again: Growing some of their own food in a backyard garden that will be planted and tended by a hired gardener.
Thanks for the clarification. So they just want a small backyard garden and plan to hire a gardener, probably to take care of the rest of the landscaping as well. That seems perfectly reasonable, why all the fuss? Lots of people do this.

In any case, if they are as progressive as you suggest, then they should really visit before moving. I'm in the North End of Boise, which is one of the most liberal parts of Idaho, and yet it would be considered more center-left by Bay Area standards. Whereas most other areas of Idaho are very conservative. To be clear, I really don't care which way folks lean politically and I have many friends on both sides ... people are more than a single dimensional Red vs. Blue caricature. It's just hard to watch people move here with unrealistic expectations and then become bitter because they can't find their tribe, or it's just too dang hot during summer (record number of 100+ days this year), or whatever. I've encountered a number of folks here like this from NYC and SF, and I'm always left wondering (but too polite to ask): what did you expect, didn't you research this stuff before deciding to move?

Old 09-24-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
Watching the price digestion and weak hands folding. Then, upward prices will continue. Folks are moving here in droves. I say let them come. Growth is inevitable , its a nice place still. I love the morning sky.
People are moving to Idaho for what it has.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityDweller View Post
I've asked myself the same question my entire life. My family moved from California to Washington state in 1961. It was a culture shock for us, as the Puget Sound wasn't exactly the center of the universe at that time, especially for folks coming from California. I made new friends as a teenager who had no idea what a taco was, and there was only one place in Snohomish County to get pizza. But the World's Fair the following year and Boeing and the tech industries changed that quickly. But so-called natives were not happy with the progress, and they griped about people moving in and changing everything for the worst ... lutefisk was still at the top of their menu ... who needs a taco or pizza?

Thirty years later, in 1991, my husband and I moved from Washington to Boise. The culture shock was even more pronounced. At that time Boise seemed like a provincial outpost to us. But the gripe was still the same ... the so-called natives here were not happy about "equity immigrants" moving here and buying houses they themselves could not afford. But those immigrants wanted the goods and services and modern culture they enjoyed elsewhere before moving here, and their demand and influence has modernized and improved Treasure Valley immeasurably. I've been happily watching it for 31 years.

This "interloper" anger is nothing new, it's been around for years, and occurs all over the US/world, not just Idaho. I believe its primary basis is envy.
The "interloper" comment is going on all over. I grew up in Georgia and heard some native Georgians lament transplants, especially northerners, moving to the Atlanta area (and the same lament of "interlopers" in other southern states with growing populations). In fact, a few years ago a meme circulated on Facebook, about Atlanta. It read "Quit moving here, we full".

Back when Tom McCall was the governor of Oregon, he lamented people from other states moving to Oregon. He served as governor of Oregon from 1967 to 1975

Direct quote from Tom McCall

Quote:
Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live"
The strange thing about Thomas Lawson McCall is that he was from Massachusetts. He was a transplant telling other transplants to stay out of Oregon.

This sentiment of "stay out of my state" is happening in many states.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The "interloper" comment is going on all over. I grew up in Georgia and heard some native Georgians lament transplants, especially northerners, moving to the Atlanta area (and the same lament of "interlopers" in other southern states with growing populations). In fact, a few years ago a meme circulated on Facebook, about Atlanta. It read "Quit moving here, we full".

Back when Tom McCall was the governor of Oregon, he lamented people from other states moving to Oregon. He served as governor of Oregon from 1967 to 1975

Direct quote from Tom McCall

The strange thing about Thomas Lawson McCall is that he was from Massachusetts. He was a transplant telling other transplants to stay out of Oregon.

This sentiment of "stay out of my state" is happening in many states.
His brother was a college professor who had quite an entertaining sense of humor.

I took classes from him repeatedly and we became friends. He was a driving force in me choosing Political Science as my major.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:00 PM

58 posts, read 31,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
. . . Personally, if said couple wants to do hobby farming. I would actually recommend parts of the southeastern USA. More land, a warmer climate.
Soil quality in general is poor in the SE US. That's why you don't see large-scale farming there except in river bottom lands.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:03 AM

344 posts, read 144,251 times
Property still moving here as prices digest. House across the street just sold for 750k while others still going for a cool 1 million or more.

The traffic here in Eagle is thick. Lady told me a normal ride from star now takes 50 mins to get to Eagle for work, that's just crazy

Fear continues as the major cities break down, we have growth that is exponential

Old 10-31-2022, 03:06 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Yep. It continues to be slim pickings in close-in neighborhoods such as the North End, Warm Springs, and Depot Bench. In our little pocket of the North End west of Harrison Blvd there's essentially one 3/2 SFH, which probably won't be on the market much longer with 340 likes in 30 days on Zillow.

What's changed from 6 months ago? Homes on busy streets, awkward layouts, weird lots, etc. are taking longer to sell. And there are a few overpriced properties that aren't moving. Prices have softened somewhat, though not as much as many expected.

There are currently some good deals on more affordable housing in the further out neighborhoods such as West Boise.

My guess: There's a buying opportunity for those wanting to get into the Boise RE market before spring '23.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:06 AM

399 posts, read 562,983 times
We're in the process of looking / buying with requirement in next 6 months (currently in rental). Market is really strange right now...I see some beautiful homes priced right (600's-700's)...then there's still quite a bit of inventory that is WAY overpriced. For some reason people think if their home was built in the 50's it is suddenly valued at $400/sf. Based on trends we've been looking at for 90 days or so, I'd say a solid 6-9% decrease to put everything back to 'normal'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area