Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 12:50 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise has always punched above it's size. There was a time when this small city had one of the highest concentrations of Fortune 500 headquarters in the nation. We still have an impressive number of these companies in Boise. The Simplot Headquarters downtown is one of the largest private companies in the world.

Aside from that, Mayor McLean has been doing a great job.
One wonders if that will be the case going into the future?

Although Boise itself is somewhat progressive, it's suburbs are not. On the whole, neither is the state of Idaho. Educated people are not going to want to relocate to a place where their rights are curtailed and their access to health care is minimized.

I just watched a news report of a woman in Boise who had to go to Portland for a medical procedure that she couldn't get in Boise due to Idaho law. Not a good look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 02:05 PM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post

Although Boise itself is somewhat progressive, it's suburbs are not. On the whole, neither is the state of Idaho. Educated people are not going to want to relocate to a place where their rights are curtailed and their access to health care is minimized.

I just watched a news report of a woman in Boise who had to go to Portland for a medical procedure that she couldn't get in Boise due to Idaho law. Not a good look!
We'll be fine. Per Pew Research, 44% of grads are consistently or mostly liberal, vs. 29% consistently or mostly conservative. The rest (27%) are mixed.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:57 PM

4,600 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Off-topic, but not off-title:
I hadn't known that Boise calls itself the "city of trees."
What a delightful nickname.... it makes me want to pay a visit...
although it's not the only place to claim that title:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Trees

Old 11-02-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Some background on Boise's name and The City of Trees monicker:
https://idahowild.com/les-boise-les-boise/

Old 11-02-2023, 05:35 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
"bois" is French for tree. "Boise" is the French plural expression for trees.

Old 11-03-2023, 01:10 PM

166 posts, read 115,518 times
"Bois" is the French word for wood. In the article AnythingOutdoors posted it states that: Excitedly, they shouted “Les Bois, Les Bois!” which translates to “The woods, the woods!” The "Les" (as opposed to "le" or "la") makes the noun "bois" plural. "Boise'" is the French word for wooded.

The French word for tree is arbre and the plural is arbes.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:54 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post

I think you meant to say she had to travel to Portland to kill her baby, not receive a "medical procedure."

Old 11-07-2023, 02:14 PM

Getting back on topic...

Report highlights Boise as ‘magnet’ market

Quote:
Boise is mentioned in the report as a magnet market, which are markets that are preferred by investors and builders. Those markets, according to the report, grow more quickly than the U.S. average in terms of population and jobs, holding the highest average “overall real estate prospect” ratings of any groups in the Emerging Trends survey, as well as 65% of the highest-rated markets.

Old 11-10-2023, 11:18 AM

577 posts, read 561,149 times
I spent a week in Boise and one thing I noticed was that I did not come across a single part of town that felt unsafe. I've never seen that in any large city.

My understanding is that Hewlett Packard out of California, in the 1970s, selected Boise as the location of a major company expansion. That planted the seed for Boise's status today as an important location for computer-based companies.

Old 11-10-2023, 12:41 PM

560 posts, read 436,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I spent a week in Boise and one thing I noticed was that I did not come across a single part of town that felt unsafe. I've never seen that in any large city.

My understanding is that Hewlett Packard out of California, in the 1970s, selected Boise as the location of a major company expansion. That planted the seed for Boise's status today as an important location for computer-based companies.
For a big city I agree. When we were there in 2021 we did not feel unsafe. There was however too many scammy looking panhandlers for my liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area