Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:37 PM

30 posts, read 211,864 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to the Boise area for my husband's job and I was hoping some of you could help me. We are thinking about Meridian or Eagle, but are looking for a home with some acreage. From what I have found out so far, a lot of the homes are on pretty small lots; is it all like that or do those towns have areas where the homes are more spread out? We were also thinking about Emmett, but I am concerned about the commute to Boise in the winter. How long does it take and what are the road conditions like in winter? Also, we live in Florida now, so obviously we are a little concerned about the cold weather. How long does the cold weather last? Keep in mind that cold to me is anything below 60! We are looking for a change, we just don't want to get in over our heads. We are tired of the heat and the unending summer, I just hope we can handle a real winter! Any info anyone can give us on the area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM

51 posts, read 225,091 times
I can answer some of your questions. We are former San Diegans who moved to Emmett this past May and we also had our qualms about the cold winters and driving in snow and ice. We commute to Boise during the week. The cold is not as bad as you think. As they say, "it's a dry cold". This morning it was about 10 degrees in Boise when I took my daughter to school. It didn't seem that bad to me - and like you, anything below 60 was freezing to me in the past! Driving in the snow (not really that much here, maybe three days so far) is better than we expected, because most people here are very polite drivers and they slow down and drive carefully. No one tailgates, so you feel fine about taking it slow, too. I really appreciate the Boise drivers!!

Now, as for the commute from Emmett. On a good day, it takes about 30-45 minutes to Boise. Yesterday morning's commute was very hairy because it snowed during the morning rush hour, so it took me 1 1/2 hours to get to Boise. As I mentioned, we drive from Emmett everyday and frankly in six months, we've grown very tired of it. We are selling our house here in Emmett to move up to Boise. If you want a home with some acerage, I would recommend looking at Kuna, Star or Middleton before Emmett. While Boise would still be a commute from those areas, at least there are major surface streets and/or freeway access from them. Emmett is a one-way in and out town, using only a two lane highway. Also, if you find you want access to any shopping, movie theaters, restaurants, etc., you will have to drive out of Emmett. It's a small agriculture town and it intends to remain that way.

Don't let the winters in this area deter you. They are much better than you'd imagine.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:33 PM

207 posts, read 805,424 times
Just a question: what advantage or disadvantage would there be moving from Hailey(south of Sun Valley to Boise or Idaho Falls? Think of relocating or, maybe not.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:36 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,200,288 times
gc57
Quote:
Just a question: what advantage or disadvantage would there be moving from Hailey(south of Sun Valley to Boise or Idaho Falls? Think of relocating or, maybe not.

I would almost think housing would be cheaper in IF or Boise in comparison to Hailey.

If you're into skiing I think you're about as close to Sun Valley from one or the other. If you're tired of the snow Boise is more apt to be your choice. If you're wanting to be surrounded by more skiing choices then IF isn't far from Grand Targhee or Sun Valley.

Why is it you're thinking of leaving Hailey? Maybe that will help in answering your question a bit more.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Cost of trying to buy a house is the main issue here. But don't want to give up the outdoor stuff and have to settle for smog, traffic, gang wantabee's and such.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc57 View Post
Cost of trying to buy a house is the main issue here. But don't want to give up the outdoor stuff and have to settle for smog, traffic, gang wantabee's and such.
Well, we're not big on smog here in IF, inversion layers from time to time, yes, however we get just enough wind to keep them at bay

Outdoor stuff? Plenty. Traffic? Major traffic jam is on the 4th of July anywhere near the Greenbelt. Gang wannabees? A few, not enough to write home about.

Houses are more affordable here than in Boise. Although, you'll want to move quickly (within the next five years) as it is starting to climb.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc57 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
You're welcome Glad to be of help.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 AM

30 posts, read 211,864 times
donnam,

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate all the info - it helps a lot to hear from someone who already lives in the area. I think 30-45 minutes to Boise is a little too far of a commute for us, so I will try looking in the areas you suggested. As far as the cold goes, I'm still a little nervous, but I feel a little better about it! Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2007, 12:48 AM

148 posts, read 237,059 times
Sydney, I lived in Idaho (Nampa and Boise area) for awhile, and it sucks!!!! Go there and check it out. I would not wish Idaho on my worst enemy!!!! But, some people like dry, hot, cold, stinky, and conservative with lack of infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area