Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM

229 posts, read 707,074 times

Advertisements

I tried the Kilted Kod on multiple occasions, and my statement still stands.

Beer will definitely not be a problem if he heads to Co-Op/Whole Foods/Brewforia/Brewer's Haven. The problem with our local European markets (and I'm aware of Tres Bonne Cuisine in Boise and Irena's in Meridian, with Bo-Ex to a lesser extent) is a focus on Central and Eastern European goods while everyone else gets jobbed. That's not to say there won't be a few things here and there he can obtain. But as a precautionary measure, I think it would be prudent and probably cheaper (if arriving by car anyway) to buy and stockpile what he can get now and bring it with him in case his needs aren't even remotely met here. I base this on personal experience as that's what I did with Japanese groceries when I moved here. I did some homework and was warned in advance that there weren't many Japanese here and as a result not too many options at the Asian markets. That turned out to be correct. At Asian markets here I can probably get maybe 25% of what I used to get at Japanese markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
My statement and opinion still stands as well regarding the fried fish and the food truck lol. Believe it or not, several British ex pats in Boise love that food truck including a few English friends of mine. There are several places around Boise that have good fish and chips including a tea house in Meridian which I was impressed with. There are some restaurants I have eaten fish and chips and not been very impressed with, but overall it isn't very difficult to make good fried food as long as you are using quality ingredients. Have you ever dined out in London and had fish and chips from a random shop? Have you been in an English grocery store and seen how similar many food products in England are to what we have here in the USA?

I just remembered that Cost Plus also carries European food products including options from Britain.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 04-15-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,109 times
Hi folks,
I recently moved here from Guam, my husband is in the Air Force but I am originally from Scotland and moved here in October of last year. I got here after the retail store "Wee bit 'O' Scotland" closed and have managed to get some foods such as HP sauce, Birds custard powder, Tunnocks tea cakes, Branston Pickle and pataks curry sauces from World Market in Boise (just after the turn in for the Town Mall). I also order a lot of things from online but to be honest, it never tastes the same. I think the Highland Games is coming up (September 21st) in Boise at Expo Idaho, so if you are still looking to meet up with fellow Brits then that may be a good chance to find some (As far as I am aware, quite a few Brits go there) I live in Mountain Home and there are a few Brit ladies that live around this area, I know of one that works at Sears in town and another that lives just up the street from me which is awesome (makes me feel at home).
I hope you guys find what you are looking for but if you are looking to meet up for coffee and a chat then just gimme a shout.
Lisa

Old 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,314 times
Default Lost this thread and just came across it

Took me a while to reply, but I am also originally from Leicester, my Dad ran pubs, lived at Rothley, Oakham, Burrow on the hill and Syston, was in the RAF at Cottemore for 7 years too.
Been here a while and still only met one or two people from England and still nowhere to get English food from, but living here is great even after last winters crazy snow.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 PM

209 posts, read 316,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul762 View Post
Took me a while to reply, but I am also originally from Leicester, my Dad ran pubs, lived at Rothley, Oakham, Burrow on the hill and Syston,
Small world. My Aunty Joyce and Uncle Eddie ran the Prince of Wales in Oakham back in the late 60s - early 70s.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
There is a highland games festival in the Treasure Valley. Scotland is British. Maybe that would be a good place to go to ask around about where the British have their gatherings.

If a newcomer is really serious about finding other British Nationals, perhaps volunteering to work on the Highland Games committees?

My personal opinion is that shopping in a British store and eating in a British restaurant is not the same at all as finding a British community.

Also, my personal experience, but British friends who come to the USA simply fit themselves into the American culture without any issues. They aren't out looking for other immigrants to pal around with. Your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area