Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 16,103 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I have been watching the forum for some time now because my husband and I are considering a move to Boise within the next 3 years. I knew I would eventually jump in somewhere, this is it

We will be visiting Boise next week and have two short days to explore (first visit and soooooo excited!). We will be staying with friends who are moving to the North Boise area (actually helping with the drive). We want to make the most of our short time and have a few things planned but we need help in deciding which lake to drive up to for a "look see".

My husband would like to go to Lucky Peak or Lake Lowell, both because of proximity and travel time from Boise. What lake is the best "first" impression of the area, which drive is prettier, what lake has the most activity and amenities? He is an avid Bass fisherman and would love to see some fishing and boating action.

We only plan on spending a few hours total on the lake thing, including drive time from North Boise, is this doable? Any input would be welcome and any other suggestions on what to do while we are there besides experience the downtown and drive around some areas to get a feel. (we will be there 8/10 & 8/11, I know WAAAYYY too short)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Lucky Peak or Black Canyon Dam east of Emmett.
Take some worms

Old 08-01-2008, 12:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Either Lake Lowell or Lucky Peak Reservoir will not be a good reflection of the area lakes in the eyes of a fisherman. They are both a quick drive (~40 min. from the Hill Rd-Bogus Basin intersection in the North end), so unless you have big plans on one of the days, you could actually visit one each day.

Lake Lowell is amidst rural farmland while Lucky Peak is in rather treeless desert. Really, Lucky Peak will give you a better idea of the Boise desert habitat and is a bit more remote. Definitely get past the main part with the "Keep Your Forests Green" quarry, though, as that is over-used and the dam creates a rather industrial motif. Go across the quarry bridge and follow the windy road back along the reservoir and check out some of the more discrete docking and picnic areas. Personally, I'd say Lucky Peak, hands down.

Of course, it doesn't take me to tell you that Idaho has several wonderful lakes, rivers, forests, and mountain ranges, even ASIDE from the Frank Church Wilderness, which is great if your husband likes to rough it all the way (i.e., bring a compass and detailed topo map, no roads and primitive trails if at all). I'm a camping/backpacking buff and am pining for it, so pardon the digression.

Really, to find any representative lakes with great fishing, you'll have to drive 1+ hour(s) one-way on Highways 55, 95, or 21. ID-21 is the highway to Lucky Peak, by the way. Anything around Boise will be over-used by boats, etc. or polluted by drainages or even seepage in the soil.

I guess what I'm really saying is, until you have more time to explore, I wouldn't critique with a fisherman's eye. You'll only be disappointed and sell a great fishing state short. For boating/fishing recreation, though, Lucky Peak is pretty all right once you get off the main drag of kids, jetskis, and the like.

Last edited by stingraynm; 08-01-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Default great info

Thanks for the info, especially the detail Stingray, that is what I was looking for. Our first choice was Lucky Peak based on our exploring in Google Earth.

Our lakes here, where my husband does most of his fishing, are overcrowded, over fished and very dry so I think when you put it into perspective, the lakes in ID, even the ones that arn't the greatest for fishing will be better than what we have close range to our current home.

We can drive about 4-6 hours and find some beautiful, less inhabited lakes but the fishing in AZ is sparse compared to Northern states IMO.

Can't wait to come see!

Thanks again
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 PM

Default oops

Sorry for the previous post, I pasted it from WORD... here it is cleaned up, MOD can you delete the last one?

Thanks for the info, especially the detail Stingray, that is what I was looking for. Our first choice was Lucky Peak based on our exploring on Google Earth.

Our lakes here, where my husband does most of his fishing, are overcrowded, over fished and very dry so I think when you put it into perspective the lakes in ID, even the ones that aren't the greatest for fishing will be better than what we have close range to our current home.

We can drive about 4-6 hours and find some beautiful, less inhabited lakes but the fishing in AZ is sparse complared to Northern states IMO

Cant wait to come see! Thanks again.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM

I've done that with Word on HTML sites myself. It does pop up out of nowhere.

I hear you on AZ, hence the reason I said I was pining for a trip instead of planning one. I grew up in Boise and went to college in-state at U of I in Moscow, so I've seen a great deal of the best Idaho as a whole has to offer.

However, now I live in Albuquerque, and Northern NM presents the same issue you have in AZ. If I'm willing to make a day of the drive itself (and contend with gas prices as of late), I can find spectacular, remote wilderness and all its amenities. However, within a 3-hour drive, it's nothing but crowds, over-use, and misuse. Sad, really, but what can anyone do? I'd like to see access controlled and certain areas protected through prohibition of use, but as a middle class citizen I'm certainly just as miffed when wealthy Easterners come in, buy up the land, and make it difficult/impossible for me to enjoy... even though they're serving my very hopes. Like a lot of conservation and other environmental efforts, it's a tough call with lots of confounds.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:36 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Lucky Peak for sure. If you keep driving along the lake on Highway 21, you will start seeing the dry mountain sides give way to the forest about 16 miles out of Boise--it is neat as two ecosystems meet each other. Once you enter the forest the drive is pretty deep woods from there on. You might want to check out Idaho City and see some cool mining history. I know that Lucky Peak and Arrowrock are considered Bull Trout areas and fed by mountain rivers and streams.
The drive to Lucky Peak from downtown is quick, about 15 minutes, and more depending on how far you drive up Highway 21.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 08-01-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
If you keep driving along the lake on Highway 21, you will start seeing the dry mountain sides give way to the forest about 16 miles out of Boise--it is neat as two ecosystems meet each other. You might want to check out Idaho City and see some cool mining history. I know that Lucky Peak and Arrowrock are considered Bull Trout areas and fed by mountain rivers and streams.
The drive to Lucky Peak from downtown is quick, about 15 minutes, and more depending on how far you drive up Highway 21.
This is a good point if you have the time, as the forest and Arrowrock are definitely worth a look. And the 15 minute estimate is a bit more accurate as well. Probably more like 20-25 minutes on average since the North end doesn't spill out onto Warm Springs quite as quickly as downtown (North end and downtown are very close together, though). 40 minutes one-way from that upper North end location was my conservative estimate based on the fact that you definitely won't want to stop at the Lucky Peak dam, but would be much better served to turn over the quarry and take that drive for a ways (or continue up ID-21 as recommended by Syringaloid). If you stay on ID-21, though, be warned that Idaho City is a little over an hour outside Boise.

Last edited by stingraynm; 08-01-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 06:27 PM

More great info, thanks! I like the idea of deep woods and forest, sounds so nice and cool

Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 AM

431 posts, read 1,202,903 times
Here is something else... just about 1 hour drive from Boise... McCall

I think I found just the perfect website for what you are looking.
mccall angler-online fly shop (http://www.mccallanglers.com/about.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area