Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Nampa is part of my sales territory and I go over there 1-2 times a week, so this is just my observation. To be general, it appears that Boise is more white collar and Nampa is more blue collar. Nampa does have a very small downtown area that looks like it is sprouting up condos, coffee shops and other small shops. There is a really cool used bookstore downtown that I stop into every once in a while. There is an Hispanic influence there, but nothing like I have seen in AZ, CA or other western states. It is there, but not overwhelming.

My opinion is that moving to Nampa defeats the purpose of why you would want to move to Boise. Boise has easy access to mountains, the Boise foothills, hiking, cycling, Boise greenbelt, a very cool downtown area, the Boise river and much more. Living in Nampa puts you 30-45 minutes away from why our family moved to Idaho.
What about the area west of Nampa toward the Oregon border? Sounds nice for exploring, rafting etc. That would put Nampa in the center of two nice areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 11:48 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
If you like rural, wide open spaces then the area west of Nampa would be a good one. Bear in mind that the area is high desert, so unless you are near a river or irrigation canal there do not seem to be a lot of trees. Best thing to do is come to Idaho and check it out before you move.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:39 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
If you like rural, wide open spaces then the area west of Nampa would be a good one. Bear in mind that the area is high desert, so unless you are near a river or irrigation canal there do not seem to be a lot of trees. Best thing to do is come to Idaho and check it out before you move.
Very good to note. That area gets scorching in the summer and frigid in the winter, so it's not as ideal as most of Idaho. It can get obnoxiously windy, too. Really, with all the options, that area never really appealed to me. Plenty of grassland, riparian, and montane ecosystems in every other direction.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Anyone who drops the word "barrio" and "Boise" or "Nampa" in the same sentence must have returned from a California vacation where they saw their first hispanic person.

I used to live in California so I know all about Immigration issues and subtle societal shifts like dual English/Spanish store signage, radio tv advertisments..

The "whiteness" of Boise has taken some time for me to get used to. I went to a Catholic church service a couple of SUndays ago and the only person of color in the church was the priest.

There is definitely a white trash element in Boise, that is missing from California, but as with other places in the nation, the construction market has stopped in Boise...there aren't enough projects for the existing workforce. The landscaping crew in my Apartment complex are all white men. I haven't seen that since...hmmm....ever, I think?

From what I've heard there has been a Latino migration into Twin Falls for the farming...but, again, if there are 20 latino men, that might "cause alarms" for the locals but for me, I doubt I'd notice them...to be honest.

The ironic thing is that Idaho is a "Red" state with conservative christian values and those values are shared by 99% of Latino/Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans. It's the 1% that commit crimes, which get blared as "breaking news" on Fox News and Lou Dobbs/CNN that seem to earn the entire "perceived reputation" for the entire populace. What a sad indictment on American intelligence...
I couldn't have said it better myself. We have quite a few in SE Idaho. The total population of hispanics in all of Idaho equal about the size of the City of Blackfoot. Most are good Catholic going people who incidentally, are better then we white folk about when to, and when not to, partake in the communion. They really do get a bad rap.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Boise/Nampa/Kuna/Caldwell...these are safe places. Minorities have not "invaded" these places. These are uncrowded places. The "headline' crimes of the summer have been 'internet sex traffic" type crimes purported by white people. These crimes are merely conversation-starters or schadenfreudal...hardly representative of a "decline in civilization" for Boise or that rampant gangs are running amok here.

I have lived for several years in every part of Southern California and in East Coast cities. Believe me. I know what it's like to live in dominant latino areas. Boise is nothing compared to those other areas. Boise has a few Mexican restaurants. Wow. I guess that means General Santa Ana and his Army of Revolutionistas is on the march to Boise?

I've only driven through Twin Falls a couple of times this summer and I barely registered a latino presence there. I can understand the prospect for there to be a migrant work force in the fields there. I haven't seen much farming and ranching in Boise or Nampa.

99% of Mexicans and Mexican-American people are friendly, fun, hilarious, honest, nice, and some of the most ARDENT SUPPORTERS of American-made goods like Chevy/Ford, A-B beers, etc.

I don't have any friends that drive American cars. Taking SUVs out of the question, how many people here drive American cars or have friends that do? Everyone of my "neigborhood" friends from where I grew up as a kid drive Japanese or German cars.
I know Hispanics from the Caldwell/Nampa area and they are as appalled by crime as any of the rest of us, just like the whites I know there. In white-collar SE Idaho, we've had drive by shootings. We've also had white boyfriends beat up little kids, and rape and burglary, etc., from Caucasian, Hispanic, and others. We have areas here where you don't want to wander alone at night. It's not about Hispanics, it's about crime and all colors commit crimes.

Most come here for a better life. Most are fully aware they if they screw up, they get deported. Most are going to try very hard NOT to screw up because they don't want to go back to Mexico. And there's a good reason for that.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 AM

44 posts, read 142,819 times
Smile Hey!!

I grew up in Waukesha-how's that? Then ended up in Nampa for eight years. I would not equate Waukesha to Milwaukee as is Nampa to Boise. The Mexican population in Nampa far exceeds the population in Waukesha.....I grew up with Sammy Llanas in my backyard, so I have nothing against Mexicans. This is just factual. I did notice that the population of blacks is very low in Idaho in general. I think I saw maybe 8 people in the eight years I lived there,and one was someone I worked with. Did you watch the episode of ER where the nurse said she was from Idaho,ya know....skinheads and potatoes??? Kinda true,sadly,in regards to black people. They are not made to feel very welcome in Idaho...Boise,maybe,but definitely not Nampa,Caldwell. As for the crime,it is on the rise. Drive bys are not uncommon and they are whites as well as every other color,so don't blame it on "those Mexicans". I now live in Texas and every culture is welcomed here-what a change. I do miss Waukesha,though...remembering the five points downtown.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:27 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackattack69 View Post
I grew up in Waukesha-how's that? Then ended up in Nampa for eight years. I would not equate Waukesha to Milwaukee as is Nampa to Boise. The Mexican population in Nampa far exceeds the population in Waukesha.....I grew up with Sammy Llanas in my backyard, so I have nothing against Mexicans. This is just factual. I did notice that the population of blacks is very low in Idaho in general. I think I saw maybe 8 people in the eight years I lived there,and one was someone I worked with. Did you watch the episode of ER where the nurse said she was from Idaho,ya know....skinheads and potatoes??? Kinda true,sadly,in regards to black people. They are not made to feel very welcome in Idaho...Boise,maybe,but definitely not Nampa,Caldwell. As for the crime,it is on the rise. Drive bys are not uncommon and they are whites as well as every other color,so don't blame it on "those Mexicans". I now live in Texas and every culture is welcomed here-what a change. I do miss Waukesha,though...remembering the five points downtown.
There is a small amount of Africans and Hatians in Boise. They're made to feel pretty welcome...housing, food assistance, etc. Now they're really aren't many African Americans. But I have to say that is because it is a general consensus that because Idaho is mostly white it is racist. I've known a few black families that have visited Boise (from California) and they hated Boise. I asked why and they all said the same thing, "there are no black people, just white trash." I asked how they came to that conclusion and no one had any real answer. Basically, that was just racist stereotyping. Goes both ways.

I can't really speak for Nampa/Caldwell. But I never saw any racism in the years I grew up and lived in Boise.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 PM

238 posts, read 863,222 times
Default It's not that bad

I've been in S. Nampa 10 yrs now and here's my take: this is a safe town anywhere in daylight, my mother can walk 99% of anywhere at night. Lock your car doors and you are less likely to get broken into than most larger metro's in the U.S. It is way cheaper than Boise housing-wise so many live here and the drive can be a real B*** to get to anything cool in Boise... we need a train (hmmm... old tracks, still no train, that sucks). I've been known to hang out on the northside from time to time and have met very few locals that were'nt very cool people... the gangsters can tell the guy he has beef with from the stranger he doesn't... I've heard more random violence come out of Boise than I ever have from Nampa or Caldwell.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,851 times
It is almost laughable what people are saying about Nampa. Seriously, Nampa is most certainly NOT a stinking corpse like they say it is. I imagine the people that say Nampa is the ghetto haven't been here in a decade.

I have lived her for 9 years now. I have never had any issues with gang violence, crime, etc. My MIL lives in a very nice part of Meridian. She's had her car stolen, her house burglarized and the neighborhood deals with graffiti on a monthly basis. I've never had any of those issues in Nampa. I don't care for Caldwell, so I simply don't go there. There's nowhere I wouldn't go in Nampa, though.

I would never move to Boise for the same reason people here avoid Nampa.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 27,669 times
Red face Good place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondesnotbombs View Post
i've been reading alot of bad reviews on Nampa...seems people have an issue with the number of Hispanics in the area.

i'm trying to equate this to the area that i live in...and i'm guessing that Nampa to Boise is Waukesha to Milwaukee: lots of Hispanics, lower-class white families, and almost all blue-collar jobs. however, there are parts of Waukesha that are very nice, cute subdivisions with middle class families, an adorable "downtown" with old world shops, cute coffee stops, interesting boutiques, a private college, and a fabulous library. though...just down from the library are a few half-way houses and shelters.

i've read info on "gangs" that are in the area, but i can't imagine these gangs as restless and constantly patroling the entire community of Nampa. i've lived a fair portion of my life (on again/off again) in the surrounding Milwaukee area and have obviously travelled extensively throughout the city. in all my years, i have yet to come across a gang or a situation that i would deem threatening.

are these warnings moreso for yuppies with no sense of street smarts or common sense? or is there really something to steer clear of?

i've been finding some really nice looking rentals (newly constructed and affordable) in the Nampa area and am wondering if this is something i should be considering or not.

i appreciate your feedback!!
I have lived in the City of Nampa for 12 years, and no, I have never been threatened, attacked, assaulted, or even looked at in the wrong manner. I work for the Dept. of Corrections, a female, only 120 lbs, and I am not scared of going out on my streets at night or anyother time. And it's not because of my profession either. I don't go around wearing a gun or a badge or even my DOC coat, so that's not the reason I feel the way I do about Nampa. Nampa has gotten a bad reputation, but it's not a justified reputation. My city has grown from 35,000 12 years ago to almost 90,000, and yes, we have Hispanics living in our town, but guess what, the majority of them are very nice, kind, hard working people, that abide by the law and make nice neighbors. I love Idaho, and I love Nampa. It's only about 17 miles from Boise, a good drive (sometimes bad in the winter, but that's to be expected). On the bad days in the winter, you can drive slow and look at the beautiful foothills of Boise and watch a gorgeous sunrise.........it's all worth it too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area