Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:06 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,196,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I also hear us referred to (by climatologists) as "Inland Northwest" which is drier but colder than the Pacific side of the Cascades.
Yes, the weather is so different, especially in southern Idaho, compared to neighboring Oregon and Washington, that when talking weather, in my own mind, I just can't lump Idaho as part of the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,902,476 times
I moved to boise from seattle, and let me just say.. it is totally different. I love the fact that the sun is out more than not even if its cold in the winter. One thing to keep in mind though is that seattle has humidity in the winter so 40 degrees feels like 25 where as it will just be 25 degrees in boise and feel like 25. There really isn't a huge difference in temperature feel in the winter just a higher probability of snow which is lovely at christmas time. If you like boise, and you like 4 seasons... coming from seattle it won't be a big change for the worst. the positives outweigh the negatives trust me... living in seattle for too long will turn the happiest of folks into prozac poppers

Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,969,902 times
Default Idaho regions according to me

I prefer "Great Northwest" for the region in its entirety, 'cause it's just GREAT.

Of course, my affinity and goofiness aside, I can definitely see the area being separated around central OR and WA, as in the Cascades. There certainly is a difference b/w Pacific NW and Inland NW, not only in climate, but even to the naked eye.

On top of that, returning to "that's just me", Idaho definitely has 4-5 distinct regions. The mountains could be N. Mountains and S. Mountains (divided at approximately the 45th Parallel with those on ID-55 being considered North and Frank Church just being divided diagonally around the center where rounded "North" peaks and jagged "South" peaks start to intermingle), Palouse in the non-mountainous Panhandle, Desert in the non-mountainous SW and SE Idaho (touching along I-84 and dotting around Lewiston and southward), and Grasslands around Central S. Idaho (down along the Southern border and toward the mountains in the SE corner).

Just some thoughts while I'm in a silly, nostalgic mood.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 30,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
. living in seattle for too long will turn the happiest of folks into prozac poppers

Well said and the absolute TRUTH!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,196,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
I prefer "Great Northwest" for the region in its entirety, 'cause it's just GREAT.
LOL! I second that!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 PM

314 posts, read 1,213,712 times
Based on the OP message...and using my knowledge of having lived in Boston/Stamford CT/San Diego/Los Angeles and now Boise....my guess is that you might prefer someplace warmer than Boise. I have noticed that there are not that many pine trees in Boise "proper" as one might expect from a place considered "The Northwest" and one that gets as cold as Boise does in the Winter. The pine treeline seems to be about 500-1000ft higher than the 2700ft that Boise resides at. Maybe "Pioneer Boise" people chopped the pines and burned 'em "back in the day"...

I like low 90s in the summer, too, but I must say this Boise summer is almost TOO HOT. It's another 100+ day and we're midway into August. I do not classify Boise summer as comfortable as I was expecting it to be. The temps are supposed to go down to "normal" 89-90 range in a day or two...but we have seen 89 maybe once this month. It is definitely ~HOT~ in Boise.

From what I've heard and expect, Boise winters will be warmer than Boston and far less snowy. I'll take that. But since this summer has been much warmer than I expected...I'm expecting a colder winter here, probably weeks in the 10s and 20s in Dec and Jan.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM

879 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post

From what I've heard and expect, Boise winters will be warmer than Boston and far less snowy. I'll take that. But since this summer has been much warmer than I expected...I'm expecting a colder winter here, probably weeks in the 10s and 20s in Dec and Jan.
Sorry summer is hotter than expected...and I've been told this summer has been cooler than normal.

Never say never but don't expect weeks in the teens and 20s. It is most certainly possible but not likely. I would say summers in Boise are much hotter than winters are cold IMO. But you being from California the first winter will probably be quite an adjustment in any case.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,427,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
I like low 90s in the summer, too, but I must say this Boise summer is almost TOO HOT. It's another 100+ day and we're midway into August. I do not classify Boise summer as comfortable as I was expecting it to be. The temps are supposed to go down to "normal" 89-90 range in a day or two...but we have seen 89 maybe once this month. It is definitely ~HOT~ in Boise.
I was just thinking last night how much cooler it's been this summer. We've only had a few days above 100 and it's only been a few degrees above. Summers of 2007 and 2006 each had a handful of days above 105, clear up to (I think) 111. Now that's hot!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:25 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I was just thinking last night how much cooler it's been this summer. We've only had a few days above 100 and it's only been a few degrees above. Summers of 2007 and 2006 each had a handful of days above 105, clear up to (I think) 111. Now that's hot!
I feel the same way. There has been a lot of days in the 90's but only a total of a weeks worth of days at or above 100, so I think this has been a nice Summer. The 90's are hot, but the mornings are nice and lovely up until around noon or 1 and then after 6 it starts cooling down again. I do notice that when Boise is in a heat wave so is the rest of the Northwest and Southwest.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,969,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I do notice that when Boise is in a heat wave so is the rest of the Northwest and Southwest.
I've noticed the same for the cold snaps. I think the Arctic and Baja jetstreams tend to just sweep the entire West when they hit, causing relative shifts in the respective regions. Someone once said this has a lot to do with the Rockies.

Actually, here in Northern NM, due to high elevation, places like Santa Fe have consistently identical temps to Boise, and even cooler in both the summer and winter extremes... something I had to feel and read to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area