Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times

Advertisements

Uh... okay... actually, I was born in '79, grew up in Boise, went to college at the U of I in Moscow, and THEN started travelling. Idaho's weather has gone through cycles (most apparent in the switch-off between draught and mild flooding), but it's pretty consistent overall once that's considered. I'm (admittedly) newer to figuring out the rest of the world than figuring out Idaho's weather.

As for global warming, yeah, it's a scientific fact... I'm not arguing with you on that. I'm just saying the ideologues who are obsessed with the old ways of generating power, cutting down trees, etc. aren't going to try to hide global warming with thermometers. Scientists who measure the changes in temperature trends do so over many years, examining what is consistent with that particular time of year. The best part is that they make their own thermometers and have many means to determine each thermometer's potential errors.

Ultimately, if that is a conspiracy, those sneaky weasels are wasting their time. Intentionally inaccurate thermometers would prove nothing since the people who study temperature trends are of a discipline that doesn't take the numbers next to the mercury at face value.

The inconsistency you're encountering with news programs and your home is pretty common, too. Areas with extra foliage or near bodies of water will have cooler temperatures, while areas with a lot of development (and thereby asphalt and concrete) will have higher temperatures. Then there is a great deal of variation in between, due to many factors. Throughout Boise on any given day, it's very common for the temperature to be different from one area to the next, sometimes by as much as 10 degrees on the extremes.

Really, man, just trying to save you the headache. With all the successful conspiracies that have been and are currently threatening our health, livelihood, and way of life via extortion, scapegoating, etc., a lying thermometers conspiracy scandal sort of reminds me of a soldier in a warzone cursing bugs on the windshield. They're small, stupid, and dead, man... but something big, smart, and thriving is going to destroy you if you don't look past them and figure out how to evade it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:32 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,026 times
winters are downright hot here compared to Iowa where I'm from and it's hotter than hell here in the summer. At least there is no humidity. Shade actually works here unlike in Iowa, the sun really does beat down on you here though. The only thing that I hate about the weather here are how absolutely weak the thunderstorms are...if you can even call them that. Talk about BORING.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Milder winters ????

I thought the last 2 years were the most snow on record in Idaho ??
Though I've already stated I don't agree at all with Drummer's specifics, I do tend to agree with a little of what he says, mostly about the weather.

I don't care if the last two years were "the most snow on record" - they haven't even been close to what the winters were like decades ago and earlier. Far more snow and for far longer.

Also, we are rarely at average for capacity and snowpack runoff lately, usually below. I don't know exactly what goes into those calculations and figures, however. Could be milder springs, could be more demand, I don't know. I do know that a) we're warmer than we have been here, and b) we're lacking water, and it isn't getting any better.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
winters are downright hot here compared to Iowa where I'm from and it's hotter than hell here in the summer. At least there is no humidity. Shade actually works here unlike in Iowa, the sun really does beat down on you here though. The only thing that I hate about the weather here are how absolutely weak the thunderstorms are...if you can even call them that. Talk about BORING.
Agreed on all accounts. Like I said earlier, I don't know if it's the elevation or what, but the sun really hammers on you here, making 90-100 feel overbearing. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in temps that hot with humidity, so I can't make many comparisons.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:08 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Is there actually less water available, or is there just less water available per capita due to the population doubling in the last 30 years? An extra 250,000 people will use a heck of a lot of water, especially with so many more people using automatic sprinkler systems these days.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:10 PM

I think both, but I'm not for sure.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Americans are funny and unique in how, depite their self-perceived "independent spirit" they are very quick in believing what they are told; it borders on herd instinct. OK--for the past week we have been near record-highs every day. Last night we set a record for "highest low" on that date. Everyday we have been about 16 degrees above average. Yet, the weathermen refer to it as "nice" and "mild" and "seasonable." WTF? It doesn't even cool down at night anymore. People: global warming has cost us an ENTIRE SEASON!! There is no Spring anymore; we go straight from winter to summer. Riddle me this, Batman: what happened to the gradual Spring warm-up from winter--the mid 60's, 70,s, etc. We HAD NO 70 degree days!! WAKE-UP!! We've had Summer temps for two weeks and it isn't even Summer yet. Yet the media have been forceably silenced by Big Brother, so they don't mention all this.
Write your congressman and demand an inquiry before its too late. Don't be a sheep.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Write your congressman and demand an inquiry before its too late. Don't be a sheep.
Beg the government for help, but don't be a sheep? When was the last time you saw anything of value come out of a congressional inquiry?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Beg the government for help, but don't be a sheep? When was the last time you saw anything of value come out of a congressional inquiry?
LOL, I have to agree with you on that one!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Americans are funny and unique in how, depite their self-perceived "independent spirit" they are very quick in believing what they are told; it borders on herd instinct. OK--for the past week we have been near record-highs every day. Last night we set a record for "highest low" on that date. Everyday we have been about 16 degrees above average. Yet, the weathermen refer to it as "nice" and "mild" and "seasonable." WTF? It doesn't even cool down at night anymore. People: global warming has cost us an ENTIRE SEASON!! There is no Spring anymore; we go straight from winter to summer. Riddle me this, Batman: what happened to the gradual Spring warm-up from winter--the mid 60's, 70,s, etc. We HAD NO 70 degree days!! WAKE-UP!! We've had Summer temps for two weeks and it isn't even Summer yet. Yet the media have been forceably silenced by Big Brother, so they don't mention all this.
Again, I do agree with your observations about Boise weather - it does seem to get warmer much earlier, and during other times of the year it seems really schizo.

I still think your conspiracy talk is funny as heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area