U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM

314 posts, read 1,114,337 times

Advertisements

Just in the time that I've become an official resident of Boise..2 of the restaurants that I've heard the most about and that I was looking forward to patronizing...closed. 8th Street Wine and Satchel's..RIP. THe owner of 8th Street Wine is moving to Pendleton, OR. The owner of Satchel's is going out of business due to "the economy."

I guess since 2007, there have been 6 "high profile" restaurant closures.

Are there more to come? Anyone heard any scuttle?

There are still plenty of eat options in downtown, but is there a risk of BoDo becoming a "ghost town" if popular local businesses can't make it anymore?

I will be leaving Boise immediately if Sockeye Brewery shutters. I can't make it through another sweltering Boise summer day without a pint of Hopnoxious
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,821,087 times
We talked about restaurants closing on the forum not too long ago. Though it "appears" all are due to the economy, such is not the case; some have closed for different reasons. It was briefly discussed in this thread:

The North Face coming to Boise

Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Just watched the news, it verified what Syringaloid had said in the previous thread.

Although six restaurants have closed recently, 10 new restaurants have opened in the downtown area. The trend is for restaurants to head toward the Meridian area because that's where all the growth is going on.

I also remember reading somewhere that to the admission of the owner of Satchel's, he wished he wouldn't have started undercapitalized. Looks like they haven't closed yet- patrons are meeting on Tuesday to see if there's something they can't do to help........remember the sense of community that came up in the forum a while back? Here's a great example of that in action.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:16 PM

Hot off the press, look what I found:

Two new restaurants slated for Meridian

Old 08-18-2008, 06:54 PM

879 posts, read 2,616,679 times
Well, if this trend continues it is bad news for Downtown. But perhaps like the housing market this is just an adjustment. The food biz is volatile so it will be more concerning when other businesses close.

Downtown is such a great asset to the city. However, so many people ignore it. My mom has lived in Boise for 20 years and just rediscovered Downtown Boise.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,823,439 times
I am sad over some of the closures, but people have to understand that the restaurant industry is very risky even in a good economy. Many other cities are seeing the same occurances, I have a good friend who runs a bistro in downtown Portland and she said that they are seeing the same issues as Boise and her once busy restaurant is only half as busy with the current economy and she and I agree that the press scares people into thinking life is worse than it really is thus scaring people from spending money.

Downtown Boise still has more restaurants than you can shake a stick at, pardon the pun. I suggest that local people head downtown and support the local scene where food is made from scratch and nix the processed nastiness of Applebees, Olive Garden, every restaurant at Edwards on Overland, etc.

I remember this happened here in Boise after 9-11 when the national economy was in the tank; there were a handful of good restaurants that closed and then new restaurants opened in the vacated spaces. Boise is a creative city and most of these restaurant spaces will be filled again, eventually. I drive by the old Milky Way space everyday and have seen people in there numerous mornings for the past few weeks so maybe that is a sign that a new place is opening soon.

So buck up, cheer up, and get downtown and eat!

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 08-18-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM

2,928 posts, read 5,714,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Just watched the news, it verified what Syringaloid had said in the previous thread.

Although six restaurants have closed recently, 10 new restaurants have opened in the downtown area. The trend is for restaurants to head toward the Meridian area because that's where all the growth is going on.

I also remember reading somewhere that to the admission of the owner of Satchel's, he wished he wouldn't have started undercapitalized. Looks like they haven't closed yet- patrons are meeting on Tuesday to see if there's something they can't do to help........remember the sense of community that came up in the forum a while back? Here's a great example of that in action.
Keep your fingers crossed! I have always thought that Satchel's is a great addition to downtown---how many restaurants can host a live band outside on one evening and on other nights show movies on the side of an adjacent building?
Just my opinion....but maybe they should have advertised more. I do not recall ever seeing an ad for them in the local media.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 AM

2,928 posts, read 5,714,907 times
Interesting link for a brand new article in the local business review. Word of advice to some people: don't give into the extreme sensationalism of a few local press outlets, for example the Statesman and KTVB. They have a habit of making it seem like the world is ending.

Valley dining scene still hot (http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive.htm/2008/08/25/Valley-dining-scene-still-hot-Recent-closings-dont-tell-entire-story-restaurant-owners-say - broken link)

Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 PM

and yet another article to follow your thoughts Syringaloid.

Food & Wine magazine will feature Boise in November

Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Here's another article on the Restaurant situation in Boise.....still new restaurants opening up.

Treasure Valley restaurants succeed by watching the bottom line | Business | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/business/story/550028.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: