Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 AM

133 posts, read 289,648 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Boise for a year and have tried a number of auto shops, mainly in the Glenwood/State st. area of town. It seems that every time I go in for something, something else comes up. For example, I go to get new wipers and they discover my cylinders are leaking. I don't accuse anyone of dishonesty, but I'd like to know if you have a favorite car mechanic that you go to for a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:19 PM

93 posts, read 313,492 times
My dad was an auto mechanic - he (and my aunt) will only take their cars to Irish Auto Repair.

2141 Kootenai St
Boise, ID 83705 (208) 345-7220

From what I've heard, they are honest, reliable, and frequently priced below other repair shops. They've honestly told my aunt what needs to be done on her older model car and what can wait. And they selflessly recommended a place for my dad to get a new/rebuilt tranny and alignment.

Not that I want anything to go wrong with my car (knock on wood!) but if it did, I would definitely take it to them for any repairs or maintenance!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
I've had a couple of people tell me the same as you palangga. I have yet to need services on my car, but my good fortune can change at any time and I worry about the same issue you've experienced. I was talking to someone the other day, expressing this concern and asking what's a consumer to do??? He told me there's a product you can buy that's called a diagnostic tool. You can pick one up at Napa Auto Parts, or carmd.com or he thought through a company named Equus. It's something you can plug into your car and it will tell you what's wrong; that way when you take it in somewhere you know exactly what the problem might be and can avoid having needless work being done. I haven't researched this for myself as of yet, so I'm not necessarily endorsing any of these products, but wanted to share this with others.

Has anyone ever purchased this tool before? The guy I was speaking with works on cars quite a bit and thought the price for this type of tool ran anywhere from $85 to $100 dollars. Seems well worth it considering how much auto repairs can cost you.

Thanks for the referral newspud, I will keep them in mind should I be seeking auto services.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
I had several bad experiences in Boise, moreso from poor service than from dishonesty. I live in NW Boise and used the Goodyear place on Glenwood. One time they left so many loose ends my engine nearly blew.

So when financially possible I try to buy a new car at the end of a warranty. Now I have a Hyundai...gasp! But it has a 10 year warranty. Ironically, I haven't had a single issue with this vehicle in the two years I've owned it. I had so much trouble with Nissan I tried to exercise the lemon law which would have worked if I had bought in California but I had bought in Idaho which does very little to help consumers.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:35 PM

157 posts, read 446,149 times
I'm not sure what make of car you have but Hurless Brothers is great. I think they only service foreign cars though. We had an issue that was tricky to diagnose and fix but they stuck by their original quote even though it took alot more time/effort to fix than was originally thought. I would highly recommend them!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I've had a couple of people tell me the same as you palangga. I have yet to need services on my car, but my good fortune can change at any time and I worry about the same issue you've experienced. I was talking to someone the other day, expressing this concern and asking what's a consumer to do??? He told me there's a product you can buy that's called a diagnostic tool. You can pick one up at Napa Auto Parts, or carmd.com or he thought through a company named Equus. It's something you can plug into your car and it will tell you what's wrong; that way when you take it in somewhere you know exactly what the problem might be and can avoid having needless work being done. I haven't researched this for myself as of yet, so I'm not necessarily endorsing any of these products, but wanted to share this with others.

Has anyone ever purchased this tool before? The guy I was speaking with works on cars quite a bit and thought the price for this type of tool ran anywhere from $85 to $100 dollars. Seems well worth it considering how much auto repairs can cost you.

Thanks for the referral newspud, I will keep them in mind should I be seeking auto services.
The diagnostic tools work on vehicles having OBD II, a standardized on-board diagnostic system introduced in a year I don't remember but................................like most tools they're only as good as the person using them. i.e.: It may point towards a certain component but it's still not going to tell you 100% whether that component is bad, there's always the possibility of a bad wire, bad ground, etc. They'll get you in the ballpark but some knowledge of how the system operates is still needed to really diagnose a problem.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The diagnostic tools work on vehicles having OBD II, a standardized on-board diagnostic system introduced in a year I don't remember but................................like most tools they're only as good as the person using them. i.e.: It may point towards a certain component but it's still not going to tell you 100% whether that component is bad, there's always the possibility of a bad wire, bad ground, etc. They'll get you in the ballpark but some knowledge of how the system operates is still needed to really diagnose a problem.
aahhh, I see; sigh....and I was so hopeful that this would solve the problem. I don't know a darn thing about cars, LOL! Thanks for the info!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I had several bad experiences in Boise, moreso from poor service than from dishonesty. I live in NW Boise and used the Goodyear place on Glenwood. One time they left so many loose ends my engine nearly blew.

So when financially possible I try to buy a new car at the end of a warranty. Now I have a Hyundai...gasp! But it has a 10 year warranty. Ironically, I haven't had a single issue with this vehicle in the two years I've owned it. I had so much trouble with Nissan I tried to exercise the lemon law which would have worked if I had bought in California but I had bought in Idaho which does very little to help consumers.

We buy our cars from Hertz and knock on wood we've never had a problem. We've purchased two cars through them and the in-laws have done one- no complaints from us- it's been a great deal. The cars are like new and they keep them well maintained. You can receive a fax with all the cars they have available and then go down and check it out when you see something that's of interest. I'm five years into my car and haven't had a problem as of yet, my husband is a year and a half and no problems with his.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:02 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
I seem to remember hearing decent things about Hertz used cars. I had looked at their cars back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area