Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,583 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Caldwell due to accepting a professorship at The College of Idaho. I'll be there for anywhere from a year to two years. I'll be going out there alone but my gf will join me for the second year if I sign on for another year. I'm in my early 30s, like to bike (hate driving if I can help it), and prefer quiet neighborhoods. I guess I wouldn't want to spend more than $900 or so on rent. Any advice with regards to places to live? Places to avoid? What is the weather like typically in the winter and summer?

Last edited by WanderingScribe; 03-11-2014 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 AM

64 posts, read 131,673 times
Congratulations on the new job. First off, disregard all the bad stuff you hear about Caldwell/Nampa. I hope that myth of this being an "unsafe" area continues as I do not want this to become crowded like Boise. You will find a lot of housing choices well within your budget. I would recommend you stay in some type of extended stay motel and just drive around the school to get familiar with the area. You will find a wide variety of housing close by the college. I would recommend going to the local PD to find the areas to avoid. I have lived here (Caldwell) for just over 2 years and think I saw a gang member once......or maybe just some kid trying to look tough. And.......uh.....hum.....can't think of any other problems I have experienced here. My wife just loves the location as we are surrounded by open space (farm land), yet Costco, Home Depot, the mall etc. are only a 10 minute drive. You can expect cold winters and hot summers. After only 2 years I can only tell you that last year the inversion seemed to go on and on for months and it just sucked. But this winter was not bad. Frequently below freezing for days and you will want a car then. Some hot summer days (100+) but ti cools off nice at night. Seems like sunset is about 10PM in the summer. Welcome to "small town USA".

Old 01-21-2016, 02:21 AM

13 posts, read 12,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Expat View Post
Congratulations on the new job. First off, disregard all the bad stuff you hear about Caldwell/Nampa. I hope that myth of this being an "unsafe" area continues as I do not want this to become crowded like Boise. You will find a lot of housing choices well within your budget. I would recommend you stay in some type of extended stay motel and just drive around the school to get familiar with the area. You will find a wide variety of housing close by the college. I would recommend going to the local PD to find the areas to avoid. I have lived here (Caldwell) for just over 2 years and think I saw a gang member once......or maybe just some kid trying to look tough. And.......uh.....hum.....can't think of any other problems I have experienced here. My wife just loves the location as we are surrounded by open space (farm land), yet Costco, Home Depot, the mall etc. are only a 10 minute drive. You can expect cold winters and hot summers. After only 2 years I can only tell you that last year the inversion seemed to go on and on for months and it just sucked. But this winter was not bad. Frequently below freezing for days and you will want a car then. Some hot summer days (100+) but ti cools off nice at night. Seems like sunset is about 10PM in the summer. Welcome to "small town USA".
We are buying a home in Caldwell and your post is comforting! I love being surrounded by all the farm land and yet only being 10 min away from Costco and other Shopping!! We will be retiring, so being a little away from Downtown is not a big deal. With our budget we can pay cash for our home in Caldwell, and if we lived closer to Downtown we would still have a house payment!! I just wish the stigma of Caldwell's past would go away! I am sure we will love the small town feel in the area of Caldwell we are buying!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: