Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I really, REALLY don't get your argument about the sex offender ratios. One would think if police and prosecutors are busy with 19 year olds with 17 year olds in Idaho they would have LESS time and this would allow predators to fall through the cracks. So it sounds like you may want to look for those falling through the cracks in Idaho. Maybe in Washington they have less sexual predators because they don't add in all those cases AND they also have time to work on REAL cases.

I greatly prefer Boise over Spokane but you make it sound like Spokane is governed and policed by rapists.
not at all, I just know from first hand experience that spokane does have sex offender issues. I've spent a great deal of time there, and actually have been a viewer of their local news for long periods of time.. and I can tell you that spokane has MANY issues with sex offenders especially in brown's addition part of town.. which is right smack in the middle of the city. Browns is not the only dodgy neighborhood in and around central spokane with such problems..these neighborhoods are their actual historic neighborhoods as well..
My reference to the difference in ratios is just something that was told to me as an explaination, it could be false and unfounded I'm just passing it along for what it is.
I can say though that in boise I wouldn't freak out if my front door was accidentally left unlocked.. but in spokane I was...
People can take what they may from it...
this is from 1998 when I spent most of my time there
this talks about their system and how it's reported and the tier system of offenders.. level 2 and 3 offenders are only reported to the public.. level 1's are not and could be living next door and you don't even know it.. also 95 percent of all sex offenders in spokane county are level 1's... so I dunno.. I think it explains itself

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/news/...rison/whoskeep

"Byron Scherf was a Level 1 offender.

He held a knife to a Pierce County woman in 1978 and tried to rape her. He was 19, and was sent to prison on a second-degree assault charge"

so.. realistically you could follow all their stats on file for the public in regards to sex offenders and still end up with this man living next door to you.. I dunno.. when the county says 95% of all sex offenders aren't reported or accounted for so the public knows...seems their figures would be skewed a bit then don't u think? and that would warrant a huge number falling through the cracks?? I'm just putting it out there so you can get an idea of the REAL problems spokane has with sex offenders..

Last edited by boiseguy; 01-13-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
According to the figures on both of those cities found on the recently updated pages for the number of sex offenders in those two cities the ratio for registered sex offenders in Boise is 452 to 1 and the ratio for Spokane is 959 to 1
Boise is growing faster than Spokane and has more amenities but I would raise kids in Spokane before Boise any-day.

Spokane Falls right in the middle of the city.
SpokesmanReview.com - Who's keeping tabs on sex offenders?

granted this was in 1998 but I highly doubt it's much different or we would have heard of a mass exodus of sex offenders in the news from spokane..

dunno where you got your figure.. but I posted this above..
"Spokane County now has one registered sex offender for every 358 residents. That's more sex offenders per capita than six of the state's 10 largest counties. Four out of 10 sex offenders released here from prison were convicted in another county."

seems if 40 percent of all sex offenders are coming from other counties where their crime took place says to me they're moving to spokane country for a reason, perhaps because they can move in next door without anyone being told about it or being on a registry...

Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Dude that link is 12 years old.

I'm not sure where he got his figures either but come on... that's wouldn't hold up to any scrutiny.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Dude that link is 12 years old.

I'm not sure where he got his figures either but come on... that's wouldn't hold up to any scrutiny.
well dude, head on up there and live there and tell us all about it.. because I'm telling you what I experienced and saw when I was there 12 years ago.. and I have heard that not much has changed from friends still in the area..
so... it is what it is.. if spokane is your cup of tea.. then get up in it...but don't say you weren't warned... My feelings are not in regards to the AREA, because cda is absolutely beautiful and NOTHING like spokane in those regards and I would highly recommend anyone to live in CDA, but I'm sorry spokane is a $hithole with A LOT of serious crime problems.. above and beyond anything in the northwest...it just so happens to be in a beautiful area of the country.. if you don't believe the real problems and experiences people are sharing.. or you just want to think otherwise because you're in boise and the grass is greener on the other side.. good on ya.. get up in there..tell us all about it...ok:

Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
The figures I posted were from City-Data.com.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well dude, head on up there and live there and tell us all about it.. because I'm telling you what I experienced and saw when I was there 12 years ago.. and I have heard that not much has changed from friends still in the area..
so... it is what it is.. if spokane is your cup of tea.. then get up in it...but don't say you weren't warned... My feelings are not in regards to the AREA, because cda is absolutely beautiful and NOTHING like spokane in those regards and I would highly recommend anyone to live in CDA, but I'm sorry spokane is a $hithole with A LOT of serious crime problems.. above and beyond anything in the northwest...it just so happens to be in a beautiful area of the country.. if you don't believe the real problems and experiences people are sharing.. or you just want to think otherwise because you're in boise and the grass is greener on the other side.. good on ya.. get up in there..tell us all about it...ok:
Relax, we're talking about Spokane not East St. Louis.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Agreed, I spent much of my life and the Boise area just seems ugly as sin. Locals seem to think it's unique because it's green in town and has a river...just like every other town in the west. There may be trees thirty miles away, but when I look out my window all I see is dry brown hills or dry flat land. It's tough to appreciate if your used to lakes and trees.

Of course this is just my opinion.
Every other town in the west has a downtown too but they are not all alike.

The Boise River and the Greenbelt and the parks are outstanding. I ride the Greenbelt often on my mountain bike and am familier with many cities in the West and I have to say Boise is really unique considering the Boise River Greenbelt and the string of parks and natural areas. The Boise River Greenbelt is one of, if not the most impressive river greenbelts in the nation. It is a result of years and years of public and private interests coming together to create a nearly 30 mile long paved nature trail in the heart of a city on both sides of the river. You don't have to cross a busy city street because tunnels have been built under those streets. It is unique and so is the beautiful Boise River. There are plans to extend the greenbelt along the Boise River past Eagle all of the way to the Snake River. The Boise River runs the length of the entire city and gives the impression you are not in a city because of the dense foilage, wildlife, ponds, it is beauty and this isn't hyperbole, it is fact

Evergreen forests are much closer to the city than 30 miles away?!?, but I don't have to leave the city to see trees because I see them every single day right here in Boise, my entire commute to work and back is treed and in minutes from my house I can be in thick groves of cottonwood trees that are over 100 years old, and this is also not hyperbole, but fact.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 01-14-2010 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 07:23 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Every other town in the west has a downtown too but they are not all alike.

The Boise River and the Greenbelt and the parks are outstanding. I ride the Greenbelt often on my mountain bike and am familier with many cities in the West and I have to say Boise is really unique considering the Boise River Greenbelt and the string of parks and natural areas. The Boise River Greenbelt is one of, if not the most impressive river greenbelts in the nation. It is a result of years and years of public and private interests coming together to create a nearly 30 mile long paved nature trail in the heart of a city on both sides of the river. You don't have to cross a busy city street because tunnels have been built under those streets. It is unique and so is the beautiful Boise River. There are plans to extend the greenbelt along the Boise River past Eagle all of the way to the Snake River. The Boise River runs the length of the entire city and gives the impression you are not in a city because of the dense foilage, wildlife, ponds, it is beauty and this isn't hyperbole, it is fact

Evergreen forests are much closer to the city than 30 miles away?!?, but I don't have to leave the city to see trees because I see them every single day right here in Boise, my entire commute to work and back is treed and in minutes from my house I can be in thick groves of cottonwood trees that are over 100 years old, and this is also not hyperbole, but fact.
We have different taste, it's as simple as that. Many people don't see what you see when it comes to Boise and the surrounding high desert but that doesn't mean that we somehow "don't get it" or are wrong.

Also, I'm not discussing the man made parks in town, I'm referring to the natural scernery surrounding Boise. There are many things I like about Boise, and one of those is the greenbelt.

I don't see how your downtown analogy is at all relevant.

I'm happy you enjoy the scenery, honestly, that's great.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 01-15-2010 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 PM

426 posts, read 958,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
spokane is a $hithole with A LOT of serious crime problems.. above and beyond anything in the northwest...
Please, don't be so dramatic.

Off the top of my head I can think A LOT of places with more serious crime problems in the NW, above and beyond Spokane...

Yakima
Rainier Beach, Holly Park, High Point and Delridge in Seattle.
White Center
Skyway
Hilltop, Mckinley areas in Tacoma
Parts of Lakewood.

I'm sure there are areas in PDX that surpass Spokane as well.

You love Boise, and hate Spokane, great. You can get that point across without resorting to asinine statements.

Last edited by fy10fyr; 01-16-2010 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Please, don't be so dramatic.

Off the top of my head I can think A LOT of places with more serious crime problems in the NW, above and beyond Spokane...

Yakima
Rainier Beach, Holly Park, High Point and Delridge in Seattle.
White Center
Skyway
Hilltop, Mckinley areas in Tacoma
Parts of Lakewood.

well take a look at crime stats PER CAPITA of all areas you've mentioned and compare them to rough neighborhoods in spokane and it's bad if not worse...
If you want to compare a rough neighborhoood in seattle or pdx to the entire city/county of spokane you're really reaching..
I'll give you crackima.. but spokane is terrible there's no way to be nice about it because a city that size in that sort of beautiful area is a tragedy to have the problems it has.. I'm sorry
You better believe there's better places out there than boise.. but spokane is far from one of them..and that's what this topic is about..if you disagree then state why.. don't attack my opinion....mind you, I've spend quite a bit of time in spokane so i'm not sitting here in boise throwing baseless claims out there. ..It is a rough town....
in the two years my sister lived there, her car was broken into 3 times.. window smashed the first time, and jimmy rigged the lock the two other times they stole the stereo, and anything they could get their hands on that they thought was valuable.
When I was there visiting her for a summer they were burning wheat fields south of town and there was thick black smoke in the air that made my eyes burn.. and the local news was talking about how the air quality in spokane would be putting them at risk of action by the federal goverment..oh and also that was the time there was a serial killer on the loose robert yates or whatever his name was... my sister also ended up finding out two people down the street were sex offenders because the cops came and told them about it finally because the one ended up being arrested for reoffending and preyed upon a kid that lived in the neighborhood.
OH, and lets not forget the time I was with my sister in her car driving down indiana avenue and stopped at a stop light to find the guy in the other car next to us hitting his foil made crack pipe...

Last edited by boiseguy; 01-17-2010 at 01:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area