Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 24,239 times

Advertisements

I know there are stray/abandoned dogs in every city. My issue is I cant go a day without seeing SEVERAL dogs running loose on the street. Sometimes I see a whole pack of them digging in trash cans, running accross a busy blvd, etc. I see them dead on the side of the road, at least once a week. It breaks my heart to see such a high number of neglected animals here. How is this situation in boise? Here in southern texas it appears to be an epidemic! This is a very sensitive subject to me and I appreciate any help I can get. In addition to weather, this subject is another reason for me to leave the state.

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,362 times
Boise doesn't seem to have that bad of a problem that I've noticed. This is a big dog area, and people love their pets. One of the things we noticed when we first moved here is that everyone seemed to have a dog. Sure I've seen dogs running around loose, but not that often without an owner right behind them. Like any place, I'm sure we have room for improvement. There have been cases where people have been caught having more animals than what they can care for, but I've seen that most places I lived.

I think the worst place I've seen that was close to your description was an Indian reservation over in Washington state. It was appalling, but I've never seen it to the magnitude of what you're describing in Boise.

Last edited by Torrie; 10-10-2008 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-10-2008, 10:15 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
A few times a year I see a dog that has escaped. I've only seen 1 that appeared to be abandoned in the 15 years I've lived here, and I've never seen one dead by the side of the road. I do, however, see plenty of smooshed squirrels in the road. And a few times a year a smooshed cat.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 AM

93 posts, read 313,454 times
Where do you live? That sounds horrible!

A few weeks ago I was stopped at a stop sign and I saw a dog "run" the stop sign (hee hee) and pass right by me - on the street, running from right to left. It was the oddest thing I've ever seen. The rest of the traffic had stopped as well. About 15 seconds later animal control followed closely behind to pick the dog up. He had tags on so I'm hopeful he was returned to his owner.

Other than that, I haven't seen stray dogs at all. Just this past weekend I took my dog to See Spot Walk, an event held at Julia Davis Park to benefit the Humane Society. After that we drove a short distance to Grove Plaza and went to World Fest and the farmer's market there. It was a great weekend for the entire family but the dog appreciated it the most!

You may also want to post your question on the newly formed social network from Charley Pet Boutique. Charley The Pet Boutique News (2nd blurb down will give you the link.) They are a great store downtown that is active in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area