Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida native, possible relocation to Boise, Idaho, business management or IT administrator jobs, mixed race family, resident diversity, churches, cost of living, home prices, seasonal change

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:09 PM

81 posts, read 232,423 times

Advertisements

Forgive me for the book...

Hello all. I'm a Florida native, who like everyone else, has been hammered by this rotten economy we're experiencing. I've been blessed with a great job and excellent benefits for the past 8 years. However, this company has downsized this year from 36 to 21, with 5 more happening after Christmas. I was also approached by management and informed that there is a strong chance they will cut my salary in half. That being said, I would still have a job with a good salary and benefits, but the writing on the wall doesn't look too good for the health of this company, and the economy in SWFL in general is absolutely dreadful. Plus, that reduction would most likely force me out of my house. The job market here absolutely stinks, it has traditionally been new construction and tourism based. I've heard that new construction has all but died in most of the country, and we know that people aren't travelling like they used to. Jobs here are awful, I think the prospects are some of the worst in the country for those without jobs, and unemployment is at 10% in the city just north of us, and rapidly approaching that here in Fort Myers. For the first time in my native Floridian life, I'm seeing more people leave the state than move in, and I'm considering leaving the land of orange juice and sunshine.

Well, all that to say that my wife is originally from San Diego, but she has a lot of family in Nampa, with several more key family members planning a move there also in the next few years. So, the Boise (and surrounding) area has popped up in conversations with my wife in regards to being a possible relocation destination. She loves the area, from what I read, I think I would love the area: I love riding my bike, fishing, hunting, etc.

Some of my initial questions are:

1.) Jobs - I've read they're tough to come by in Boise. I've got a degree in Business Management, and I've worked as an IT Administrator in an insurance agency for 8 years. During that time, I've also acquired my insurance licenses in property & casualty and life & health. So, I've done some sales on the side. I've also been promoted to an IT/HR management role during the past 3 years, so I've got some management experience too. What do my prospects look like?

2.) People - I've read some people have experienced negatives, but I've also read mostly positives about Boise and Idaho in general. I'll chalk up the negatives to the fact that negative people are going to be everywhere. I like that I've read mostly positives about the people of the area. My concern is diversity. My family is a mixed race family. What are the attitudes there, and are the #'s really as low as online research shows regarding minorities living there?

3.) Housing - I will be renting at first, and possibly for a lot longer than I would like to rent simply because owning 2 properties in an area that has totally tanked (consistently top 3 for worst places to live regarding plummeting home values and rising costs.) has drained me. I'm assuming rent is fairly reasonable, and I wouldn't really have a hard time finding a 3br, 2-3bath home, preferably with a fence and allows dogs.

4.) Church - Having a solid home church is also huge to me and my family, so that's also a topic I'd love to research.

I know Fort Myers to Boise is a huge change. I know 2 seasons to 4 seasons is a huge change. I also know that the company that has provided my only income since I've been of working age is going through a huge change. I'm just trying to do my homework, and if I do relocate, make sure it's a place that my family can grow up comfortably, safely, and healthy (physically, socially, mentally). Having family already there is a huge plus.

I know some of these questions have been posted already, I'm just super stressed and almost obsessing over this decision. My wife and I area planning a trip to visit out there soon, within the next couple weeks.

Thanks in advance for reading and responding....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM

238 posts, read 863,222 times
Good Luck...whatever you choose.

my 2 cents: if 1/2 your salary is still "a good salary" job hunting would not be desirable to me if I was in you're shoes.

As for your questions, most have been answered recently on this forum, try the search function on each topic. Haven't seen a church question for a while but pretty much anything you want to find is here...heavy on the Mormons and Nazarenes.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2447 View Post
1.) Jobs - I've read they're tough to come by in Boise. I've got a degree in Business Management, and I've worked as an IT Administrator in an insurance agency for 8 years. During that time, I've also acquired my insurance licenses in property & casualty and life & health. So, I've done some sales on the side. I've also been promoted to an IT/HR management role during the past 3 years, so I've got some management experience too. What do my prospects look like?
With that resume, you'll stand a lot better chance than most. My problem in Boise was inexperience just after college. Once you have over five years experience or especially over three years management experience, the job market will just be a series of open doors for you. It will still be very competitive, but you'll have a lot more options than most people and if desperation ensues you'll have no problem competing with entry level IT folk like I was then.

Quote:
2.) People - I've read some people have experienced negatives, but I've also read mostly positives about Boise and Idaho in general. I'll chalk up the negatives to the fact that negative people are going to be everywhere. I like that I've read mostly positives about the people of the area. My concern is diversity. My family is a mixed race family. What are the attitudes there, and are the #'s really as low as online research shows regarding minorities living there?
Minorities, particularly Asian and Hispanic, will blend right in. You'll find more racists back East than in Idaho, especially since the Panhandle citizenry purged their infamous skinheads of a decade ago. That b.s. is not tolerated in the slightest now, and is viewed as an affront to communities/police officers who relish in their reputation for safety.

The only thing that might get a bad reaction is not speaking English, and even then it won't amount to a confrontation; rather, just a dirty look from pretentious types or "back woods" folk. Most true Idahoans respect your right to speak what you want as long as you aren't talking or gesturing at them.

Also, a lot of Idahoans aren't fond of P.C. or entitlement movements, so people who expect special treatment due to their race are going to leave considering the area racist, ironically because Idahoans don't want race to be an issue. On that note, people who flaunt stereotypical behavior are liable to provoke discriminatory behavior, but that's really the same everywhere. The gang culture that came up from Cali is not tolerated, and fishy behavior with the police or vulnerable citizens will get a person shot instead of warned. A working, religious family will establish themselves as integrated members of the community, though, so I don't see you having any issues.

Quote:
3.) Housing - I will be renting at first, and possibly for a lot longer than I would like to rent simply because owning 2 properties in an area that has totally tanked (consistently top 3 for worst places to live regarding plummeting home values and rising costs.) has drained me. I'm assuming rent is fairly reasonable, and I wouldn't really have a hard time finding a 3br, 2-3bath home, preferably with a fence and allows dogs.
Rent is high considering the average pay in the area. I knew several friends who rented 2br, 2bath homes, and their rents were b/w $1300-$1500 depending on the neighborhood.

Quote:
4.) Church - Having a solid home church is also huge to me and my family, so that's also a topic I'd love to research.
Boise has plenty of options for churches, from strictly denominational to non-denominational. You'll have no problem finding one that fits your beliefs.

My parents were Presbyterian but went to a non-denominational church called Cole Community Church. When I lived in Boise, it was out on Cole and Ustick. They're affiliated with a private school in the area known as Cole Valley Christian (K-12). I attended Valley when it was independent from Cole and just a Jr. High and High School. It was owned by a Nazarene church then, and much more strictly conservative. Cole moderated it so I've heard there aren't near as many ideological dramas now. We couldn't dance at the original Valley, so Footloose hit a lot closer to home for me than for most folks. The cool thing about Cole Valley is that they accept a lot of foreign exchange students, so exposure to other cultures and practice in other languages were major latent facets of my education.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 PM

108 posts, read 340,269 times
We just visited and saw lots of empty stores in downtown (sometimes 2 together), and at least 1 to 3 in most strip malls. Not sure about economy. Tech is there, incl. HP and Micron, and other co's. People are spooky nice, and I sure appreciate it!! Not sure if Asians would fit in, since I'm not sure I saw even one there (but I think people would nice to most people). Mostly caucasians, with Hispanics being next biggest minority. Very few African Americans. Dntn and East side are nice and thriving, it seems, as are parts of Eagle. Going west it gets into farms and new housing W of Locust. SW is Nampa, with higher incomes further away in a ring, but a not so good area around the downtown. THe dntn itself is super cute, and I hope it can improve, because it would be a great place to have lots of restaurants. But close by we saw one strip mall with the following: check cashing, tobacco, liquor store, and two other not so great stores.
That said, there is a ton of new development, within the last 5-10 years, and it shows. Really nice homes for 150-200K (the lower in Meridian, the higher in Johns Landing NW of dntn- really nice). There is an older area of homes called Hyde Park that's nice. Wish there were a few more cool stores there. Great cofffee sshop in Eagle on the main rd N Eagle called Rembrandts - in an old church. Try to go. Mall and shops nearby Westpark seem to be doing well, with fewer empties.

Stay in Candlewood Suites - I HIGHLY recommend them. They were great for a 20 day stay. Kitchenettes and lots of free includes. Good luck.

I'll try to post pictures somewhere soon, maybe on the city-data site.

Last edited by ds495; 12-22-2008 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: sounded rude, more info

Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
With that resume, you'll stand a lot better chance than most. My problem in Boise was inexperience just after college. Once you have over five years experience or especially over three years management experience, the job market will just be a series of open doors for you. It will still be very competitive, but you'll have a lot more options than most people and if desperation ensues you'll have no problem competing with entry level IT folk like I was then.
I'm so glad to hear that. I've begun sending out my resume, so we'll see.

Quote:
Minorities, particularly Asian and Hispanic, will blend right in....
Good to hear.

Quote:
The only thing that might get a bad reaction is not speaking English....
No worries on this one.

Quote:
Also, a lot of Idahoans aren't fond of P.C. or entitlement movements, so people who expect special treatment due to their race are going to leave considering the area racist, ironically because Idahoans don't want race to be an issue. On that note, people who flaunt stereotypical behavior are liable to provoke discriminatory behavior, but that's really the same everywhere. The gang culture that came up from Cali is not tolerated, and fishy behavior with the police or vulnerable citizens will get a person shot instead of warned. A working, religious family will establish themselves as integrated members of the community, though, so I don't see you having any issues.
No problems here, either.

Thank you very much for your insightful post. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I don't think I'll have any problems blending in. I can relate to the footloose reference as well....I'm sure I'll be thinking of some more ??s in the very near future, so I will post them up when they hit me.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:35 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
To be honest--it's too drastic of a move at this time. Your best bet is to hunker down in FL and try to secure a new job to either meet your salary needs or come close enough so that you can stay in your home.

Boise unemployment is skyrocketing and will be approaching 10% probably by the time you actually pack up and move. You say your wife has family in Nampa and several other family members are thinking of coming here in the next couple of years. Why don't you wait until these family members actually move here?

The climate change will be substantial for you. You'll have to buy a new wardrobe. That's a lot of money out of your pocket, upfront and not negotiable, unless you have somehow saved ski clothes over the years.

WIth your background and skills--if you can't land a job in FL, I'm not sure you can here. You should be desireable there. If drastic action is required--isn't it better to try to land a job, say in Tampa, and you move there or take a studio apartment for 1 yr and drive home on the weekends?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Boise unemployment is skyrocketing and will be approaching 10% probably by the time you actually pack up and move. You say your wife has family in Nampa and several other family members are thinking of coming here in the next couple of years. Why don't you wait until these family members actually move here?
10%??? Do you know something we don't? That would be the equivalent of a loss of approximately 12,000+ more jobs give or take(My numbers are based on Occupational Wage Report of 2008 so it's a guesstimate). That would mean that approx. 30,000+ total jobs would have to be lost in Boise alone in order to come up with 10%. Last time I checked Boise's unemployment rate was still below the national average. Currently we're at 6% for an unemployment rate for the month of Nov. 08. That's a 15year high. Not a pretty number but certainly quite a ways from 10%. Remember, for each job being lost, there are jobs being created. Companies are still coming to Boise and bringing jobs with them. Sure it will take a while for the unemployment figures to turn back to normal rates, but dang, let's not panic just yet.

I came across this article that was quite interesting; it's a little dated-Jun08, but the message of what's still occurring should offer encouragement to those who are seeking work and a better quality of life in Boise-Metro.

Boise Valley Seeking Workers Despite National Unemployment Spike | Reuters

Old 12-30-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Boise unemployment is skyrocketing and will be approaching 10% probably by the time you actually pack up and move....
Unemployment here is higher than the national average already, and is rapidly approaching 10%. Also, the only jobs hiring in this area that will pay more than minimum wage are jobs in totally different industries than what my experience is in. I feel that it's too late at my age with children to be switching careers trying to get new certifications, degrees, etc.

Quote:
....The climate change will be substantial for you. You'll have to buy a new wardrobe. That's a lot of money out of your pocket, upfront and not negotiable, unless you have somehow saved ski clothes over the years....
I've definitely considered this, but my wife and I have managed to save up some winter coats/sweaters/etc. that only get used when we visit family. Winter clothes for my children won't be a major problem since my wife has a sister and cousin from cold areas that frequently send clothes to us that their children outgrow.

Quote:
....WIth your background and skills--if you can't land a job in FL, I'm not sure you can here. You should be desireable there. If drastic action is required--isn't it better to try to land a job, say in Tampa, and you move there or take a studio apartment for 1 yr and drive home on the weekends?
With 3 children, this isn't an option for me.

Believe me, I know this is a massive decision, and I'm not rushing to do anything. I'm not packing my family up and moving cross-country tomorrow. In just weighing the pros and cons, we feel that Boise (or the surrounding areas) would be a great fit for us. I'm not going to do anything without a job. It's just hard to feel secure here when 50% of the people I've worked with for years have been laid off in the past year, then 50% of my salary is taken away. The writing on the wall is pretty scary.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:57 AM

58 posts, read 167,516 times
According to a news story in the Idaho Press-Tribune, Nampa and Caldwell unemployment figures are above 8%.
Yesterday, MPC announced it is closing down in Nampa, and laying off the rest of it's workforce.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkinst View Post
According to a news story in the Idaho Press-Tribune, Nampa and Caldwell unemployment figures are above 8%.
Yesterday, MPC announced it is closing down in Nampa, and laying off the rest of it's workforce.
Last I read, Nampa was at 7.8% and Caldwell was at 8.8%. You will have different figures for different areas. Boise-Metro encompasses a huge area including Nampa-Caldwell. The smaller cities could have a higher unemployment rate because they have smaller economies? I dunno....that's how I would read into it, maybe someone else can offer feedback on that. People who live in Nampa or Caldwell can easily commute to other areas where jobs could be available.

Though things "seem" bad here, we are currently ranked 19th in the country for unemployment rates so there are many places where it's much worse than our own situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area