Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 PM

40 posts, read 157,767 times

Advertisements

Lookin to head a little more south. Winter took its tole on me and my family this year. I need to be a little closer to California for the next fews years also do to travel times/cost. I have been down here a few times AND LOVE the night life of Boise! I love the feal and the culture! And believe it or not its WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY trendier than Coeur d' Alene!

I own a lawn care business and work it myself. The girlfriend is in the restraunt business(server/supervisor/manager). And has a HUGE history with Cheesecake Factory.

So for us we are a younger couple, looking for a rent to own deal, or just rent for a little bit and figure out if its for us. I like newer places, but not big. I just need a decent sized garage(no appartments, town houses etc)

But tell me about your weather there PLEASE!!!!! Like we just broke a record for 85 inches on snow in December. How was it down there for you guys? When does winter usually start and end for you guys?

WE NEED CHANGE!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,362 times
I just posted information on the snow situation you can find it here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/boise...all-boise.html

It's really not that bad. Average snowfall is around 21.4 inches; last year we had around 31. Typically it snows a few inches here, a few inches there, and then melts. Every so often we will get a dump of 5 or 6 inches which I know is nothing compared to what you've experienced. Winters don't seem that long to me, in fact, all ready today, it was sunny, kinda felt like Spring wasn't too far around the corner. The past couple of years it seems like winter really kicks in come December and continues through January- usually I'm so caught up in all the holiday activities that I hardly notice it to be bothersome. Before you know it, it's Spring. Today was sunny and so far it looks like the rest of the week is going to be snow free.

We are lucky to get a good dose of all seasons here. Fall is a big favorite amongst locals as it's an extension of summer, only a little cooler, Spring is unpredictable with strong Thunderstorms(keeps things interesting), and the Summers well they can be warm at times, but the longer days(light till about 10:15pm) gives you the opportunity to enjoy the outside long after you've come home from work.

I'm sure you could find work in the lawn care business, but I would proceed with caution as a continued poor economy might make the demand for your services dwindle.

I wouldn't recommend rent to own- I explained here on this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/boise...companies.html

You should have no problems finding a rental. With so many houses unable to sell many have become available for rent. So c'mon on down!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:55 PM

You make it sound FANTABULOUS!!!!!! LIGHT TILL 10:15 is SOOOO cool! You guys are 1 hour ahead of us and its light till 9;15ish also. What direction can you point me in for good housing? Is there much of retired people there? That is where a lot of my business comes from, or people who can afford their business anymore and I end up getting new customers A LOT from that.

Thanks Torrie, its like Christmas in my head right now

Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM

LOL! It is FANTABULOUS!!!!! And yes, the longer days are cool! Probably starts around end of May and lasts through 4th of July......then I notice day by day the days get a little shorter. We were originally suppose to be on Pacific Time.......can't remember why we ended up on Mountain Time. Someone came on here and posted a bunch of information about that quite some time ago, as to why, but haven't been able to find that post- it was pretty interesting.

Good housing is really everywhere, just depends on where in the city you want to live. If you like being downtown, then look at the North End. Anywhere in Meridian, Eagle, Kuna or Boise, will have you downtown within 25min. or less. We really don't have any bad areas....you can tell when you drive through the neighborhoods, it's more about where you want to be.....some like to live in the suburbs and others like to live closer to the city. You can expect to pay anywhere from $900-$1200 for rent, if you want a house.

We don't have a large retired community, yet- it's somewhere around 11% of the population...but in time I think you will see that number grow. You will probably have luck scouting the suburbs.....depending on when you come, you might try some of the homeowners associations, you could get some bids in that way. I know landscapers are hurting here and there's no telling what this season will be like so you might want to do something else to supplement your income till you can get rolling. This area is poised to grow again, and I can tell you when things were hopping, you could never find enough landscapers. The biggest complaint I would hear from clients is they wouldn't show up or return phone calls- even if they didn't want the job.

I'd be happy to refer you when I can; I have four landscapers that I work with now, they each do different jobs. What's your specialty? Maintenance? Do you mow lawns or do you offer other services?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Mainly mow, edge, fertilize, sprinkler ad ons and repairs and fall clean up/spring set up. I have done planting of trees/ shrubs in the past. Lay bark/rock. Pretty much the things that improve the looks of your yard I would LOVE to get on with and entire neighborhood down there. I had that up here last year but I had to drive almost an hour to reach those account. That was tough when the gas prices were high. I offer pretty nice discounts on things also. Especially refferals

I have been looking at house rentals down there and I keep seeing "the bench", what is that?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
LOL! It is FANTABULOUS!!!!! And yes, the longer days are cool! Probably starts around end of May and lasts through 4th of July......then I notice day by day the days get a little shorter. We were originally suppose to be on Pacific Time.......can't remember why we ended up on Mountain Time. Someone came on here and posted a bunch of information about that quite some time ago, as to why, but haven't been able to find that post- it was pretty interesting.
Torrie, I'm not sure if this is the information you were talking about or not, but it is interesting Should We Move Boise to Pacific Time Zone? | New West Network

Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,952 times
For economic reasons, although a hour isn't a huge difference, I think Boise should be in the Pacific Time Zone. Boise's economy is very tied to Seattle and California.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer111 View Post
Mainly mow, edge, fertilize, sprinkler ad ons and repairs and fall clean up/spring set up. I have done planting of trees/ shrubs in the past. Lay bark/rock. Pretty much the things that improve the looks of your yard I would LOVE to get on with and entire neighborhood down there. I had that up here last year but I had to drive almost an hour to reach those account. That was tough when the gas prices were high. I offer pretty nice discounts on things also. Especially refferals

I have been looking at house rentals down there and I keep seeing "the bench", what is that?
The Bench is located in an area that's north of Overland and, just east of Cole Rd., and all the way to Federal Way. Boise is built on benches. As you drive throughout the city you will notice varying levels or "benches". It'll make more sense once you get here.

You'll have lots of suburbs to scout out for business and most will be within a 30min drive from one another.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Torrie, I'm not sure if this is the information you were talking about or not, but it is interesting Should We Move Boise to Pacific Time Zone? | New West Network
Interesting...but no, it was a post from a forum member who posted in the Idaho forum, I'll see if I can find it; it was so long ago....

Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
For economic reasons, although a hour isn't a huge difference, I think Boise should be in the Pacific Time Zone. Boise's economy is very tied to Seattle and California.
I love being on MTN time. I think it's a plus for the economy, people are out and about more because it's lighter longer so I would think they might spend more??? Plus it's more energy efficient and I believe that was one of the arguments the government used to increase the daylight savings time to the first week of November. I would be so bummed if there was a push to change it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area