Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 AM

200 posts, read 1,021,730 times

Advertisements

Aloha

I have researched the Boise past threads in great detail....I have found numerous ones regarding the "pests" in Boise. Having a wife fearful of creepy crawlies, I need to write this question in hopes of understanding previous ones better......I have read that Boise gets a lot of wasps, spiders and earwigs....Is this true? I have asked folks about this when I visited Boise a few weeks back and even on this site but I always receive mixed reviews. Does this answer depend on where you live or is Boise as bad as it seems in regards to the bug issues? We realize every state/city has some bugs here and there but based on the threads I have read....it makes me visualize wasps flying all over the place while you are out doing daily errands and coming home to a house full of giant spiders!? Can anyone clarify this a bit? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Hey Maui,

I don't think it's that bad. I live in SW Boise if that matters any.....Some years can be good or bad depending on the pest. For instance earwigs can be heavy one season, but then hardly seen the next. I guess it depends how bad the winter is. We have our house sprayed twice a year for bugs, Spring and Fall. They spray along the foundation and under the eaves. We haven't had any problems with bugs in the house at all. The only thing I've noticed is somewhere in the middle of July the yellow jackets can be annoying if you have food outside. Same as other bugs, sometimes they have a prolific year and sometimes they don't.

You can keep bugs away from your house, by making sure plants aren't planted right up against the house. Ivy is a popular haven for spiders, so I would avoid having any of that planted along the foundation.

Are bugs swarming everywhere.....no, lol. If they were, I can tell you I probably wouldn't be living here. I'd be more worried about the bugs where you're at than here in Boise. If you're really concerned about it, you can spray 4 times a year, the pest control companies will gladly take your money....but honestly I don't think it's necessary, twice a year has been ample for us.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 39,605 times
I have lived here for four years and moved here from Florida. Yes, there are the bugs you mentioned however they are not bothersome at all. The spiders are usually small, and the wasps or hornets are in the spots where they are building nests - not just everywhere. Believe me, being from Florida - Idaho is a piece of cake.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM

993 posts, read 3,252,585 times
Have you ever seen the movie " Eight Legged Freaks " ??

It's a true story filmed right there in Boise

Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 PM

238 posts, read 863,379 times
The bugs aren't bad, as has been mentioned they are cyclical though. I just use the diy bug killer stuff when nescisary, it works fine... if you get a bee's nest somewhere, spray it - problem solved. Also remember much of the land in the treasure valley was once dry desert full of anthills. When we grated it, paved it, and built houses the ants didn't go away, It seems every house I've had here will get ants around the foundation, and any other concrete every couple years... the Raid ant granuals do a fine job on them though.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,961 times
I live in an apartment west of Downtown Boise...the bug sitch was nothing to cause concern last summer. Idaho is rural and farming so you have to be realistic. There will be bugs. I like washing my car and I've had to hack off a few giant grasshopper type beasties from grille, from time to time. But around my apartment..nothing. No complaints.

I thought there would be more of a mosquito problem around the Greenbelt...but I was shocked and HAPPY to report not a single mosquito bite and I floated the river...ran...walked..sweated my butt off last summer around there.

Montana is the most buggy state I've ever been to. The Bakersfield--Sacramento farm belt of California is worse than Boise. But, I suspect the more rural you go in Idaho, the more bugs you'll have to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area