U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:38 AM

16 posts, read 86,025 times

Advertisements

I know, I know all over the place but those are the choices and we have to choose just one! Kinda hard as we have never been to ANY of them.

Here is a little background. Our family, that includes two children ages 4 and 2, live in San Diego right now and can't wait to move just based on home prices and cost of living alone. On the positive side, we love the outdoors and the cultural diversity of San Diego.

We don't mind urban living as long as it is safe and has easy access to a park(s). Nothing too rural as we don't like the feeling of being so isolated but a house on the water would be a dream come true. Schools are very important because of the kids.

What do you think?? Are they all about the same or is there a real choice to be made? Help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,582,830 times
They aren't about the same. If you love cultural diversity most, go for Portland. Choose Boise if you love the outdoors most. Actually, both cities have a fairly good mix of both qualities; and both have great parks. My $.02

Bud

Old 03-20-2007, 03:13 PM

61 posts, read 291,729 times
Well, the most striking thing about your choices is the range of weather. Obviously, Portland gets far more rain than does Boise. But Boise gets more snow. Portland is green and beautiful, and Boise is..well...different.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,012,389 times
I lived in both Portland and Boise. Portland has a lot more rain, but it is so green, that's the payoff. Portland does seem to get ice storms which are impossible to drive in. As far as snow goes, comparing Portland to Boise, Portland actually has had more as of recently, though statistically I believe Boise is suppose to have more. Boise is less expensive to live in than Portland and I would guess to say Boise is cheaper than Colorado Springs. I have only been there once before, not lived there, and I noticed the prices seemed to be creeping up compared to other areas. I have lived in Colorado before, Boulder, and it was beautiful, but expensive. I live in Boise now and I have to say it has been my most favorite place to live. It's the package deal/ good quality of life, change of seasons, wonderful outdoor recreation, great people, driving access to several states nearby(Utah, Oregon, WA, Wyoming, and Canada), affordable living, great neighborhoods, and a sense of community. Couldn't tell you about the other two cities, haven't been to either one.

Oh and don't be too drawn to water living when you starting heading towards the NW. It seems glamorous but it also attracts geese and ducks. As much as I love watching them, it's not so great to step out onto your lawn and have duck doo doo everywhere especially when you have kids! Also with West Nile Virus becoming more of a threat, still bodies of water attract lots of mosquitos! A water feature that moves would be a much safer bet! Hope this helps

Old 03-21-2007, 04:36 PM
DSS

6 posts, read 60,227 times
I've lived in or near Portland for 17 years. It has changed dramatically in the last few years. The city itself has everything to offer---from the arts/theatre/night life/shopping/population diversity---and a 1 hr drive to snow-capped mountains or the great ocean beaches----but the infrastructure of the city and surrounding 40 mile radius is struggling to keep up with the population/construction explosion. I've traveled all over the world---and Portland can hold it's own as one of the most charming/beautiful. But #1 you have to embrace rainy/cloudy days ---and lots of them.
So far Boise is # 1 on my list of choices.
Good luck
dss

Old 03-21-2007, 11:19 PM

7 posts, read 33,495 times
Hi, just curious if boise has good health care and hospitals? Also what about jobs?

Does Portland rain like Seattle, are they about the same kind of weather?

Trying to look at different states, I am from Hawaii. THE ISLANDS getting way way overcrowded and we have one of the highest cost of living.
Family's are living on the beaches as I write, cos the cost for housing is so high, Its a shame but I guess thats what happens when rentals are in short supply for the amount of people living here. And state politicians in my opininon is not DOING enough to curb the cost of living and the outrages rents. Wanted to stay in the Islands but the only other place that is not so crowded any more is the Big Island where the standard of life is not the norm.
Its beautiful and land can still be bought reasonably but your also living on an active Volcanoe. But still people live there because they love the Island simplicity of life. A way of life I love but not on a Volcanoe.

Well I hope by reading about different states on City-data I can find someplace that will be comfortable for me and my MOOPUNAS, ( CHILDREN) IN HAWAIIN. Your input since youve lived in both places would be very invaluable and appreciated, Mahalo and Aloha.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,012,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAPA View Post
Hi, just curious if boise has good health care and hospitals? Also what about jobs?

Does Portland rain like Seattle, are they about the same kind of weather?

Trying to look at different states, I am from Hawaii. THE ISLANDS getting way way overcrowded and we have one of the highest cost of living.
Family's are living on the beaches as I write, cos the cost for housing is so high, Its a shame but I guess thats what happens when rentals are in short supply for the amount of people living here. And state politicians in my opininon is not DOING enough to curb the cost of living and the outrages rents. Wanted to stay in the Islands but the only other place that is not so crowded any more is the Big Island where the standard of life is not the norm.
Its beautiful and land can still be bought reasonably but your also living on an active Volcanoe. But still people live there because they love the Island simplicity of life. A way of life I love but not on a Volcanoe.

Well I hope by reading about different states on City-data I can find someplace that will be comfortable for me and my MOOPUNAS, ( CHILDREN) IN HAWAIIN. Your input since youve lived in both places would be very invaluable and appreciated, Mahalo and Aloha.
Hello, I think you are talking to me. Both places are really nice to live. Portland is more green and since you are use to that you might find that more like home. On the other hand it does rain a lot in the winter and spring which mean less sun. It doesn't rain as much as Seattle but I think if my memory serves me correct average rainfall for Portland was around 36 inches. Boise on the other hand is dry heat, rarely humidity and not as many trees. You still have lots of trees along the river and it is pretty. One of the best parts of Boise is that we have longer days than most. Late spring, early summer it is light out until 10pm. But the sunsets remind me of Hawaii, maybe it's the heat that creates such beauty, they're amazing.

The hospitals in both areas are good, I would say Portland is probably a little more advanced as they have a larger population to take care of.

Property is more expensive in Portland but compared to Hawaii I'm sure it's a bargain. I do feel more of a sense of community in Boise than I did in Portland. Maybe it's just because the city is a bit smaller, somewhere a little over 500,000 people if you count the suburbs. Portland/Metro area is more spread out so you loose a bit of that community feel.

Boise does have a low unemployment rate right now so finding a job could be tough. Try boiseidahojobs.com and see what you can find. I am not sure about the Portland market.

If you can take a vacation at either one of the places to get a feel for the area. Both regions have lots of interesting places to visit. Boise will be the most affordable to live but it has to be right for you family lifestyle. If you need ideas for places to stay, let me know and I will be happy to get you some information. Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:53 PM

114 posts, read 557,556 times
Default With Respect for your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
They aren't about the same. If you love cultural diversity most, go for Portland. Choose Boise if you love the outdoors most. Actually, both cities have a fairly good mix of both qualities; and both have great parks. My $.02

Bud
My wife and I lived in California 12 years and arizona 12 years - 4 years in San Diego and we'd still be there if not for the dangers. After being chased quite a number of times by illegals and barely outrunning them (we were joggers) we left the southwest which we love and are now in missouri. We love the open west and are looking to move back there before too long.

We've never go back to San Diego or Arizona - and that is the only reason. The redding area has a lot of talk of very wealthy people leaving san diego and san jose, sanfran, fresno for the same reason and they bring too much money to other states - running up the local property values and taxes. There's a lot of discussions on that. Our main consideration is getting to safer areas and far from the dangers of california and arizona.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,650,534 times
There's a whole lot more crime in Portland, Boise is safe

Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM

178 posts, read 777,080 times
I'd pick greenesboro,nc or Warwick, RI. No income tax in NC and there is a univ. there so you'll have culture. Warwick, RI has been rated as a best place for family and is on really beautiful town, w/ lots of culture, history and is on the coast. Plus, you'd be close to so many other wonderful places. for that reason, I think Warwick would most resemble San Deigo in terms of coastline, culture, history and things to do. cost of living i'm not sure about, but think it's reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: