U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 PM

92 posts, read 385,324 times

Advertisements

Just when I thought we had our list of places to consider retiring to we have added yet another and decided to also check into Boise.

We are much interested in fishing in our retirement. Is there a lot of fishing areas in or near Boise? If so, can anyone suggest some areas to check out?

Also, since we were originally seriously considering Northern Idaho and still are to a large extent, we are also concerned about the amount of snow that we would have to deal with up there. My next question is does Boise have less snow and how much can one anticipate during an average winter?

I've read so many posts about Boise and it sounds as though it is a nice place to retire. We are trying to be practical about where we move to as we won't be getting any younger and yet still be in an area that doesn't get too hot in the summer and has the type of recreational activities we enjoy as well as of course good medical and shopping nearby. The cost of living is also of paramount importance.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,925,637 times
Boise was voted one of the best places to retire in Oct 2006 by the Where to Retire magazine. I can get you a copy of the article if you would like. Average snowfall for Boise is 21 inches though I will say the four years we have lived here we have only hit that number once. Most of the time the snow only sticks around for a few days. Just make sure if you buy here, that you by a home that faces south. That way when it snow your driveway will melt quicker and you won't be sliding down your walkway when you go to get the mail. I know there are a lot of places to fish around here. You can actually fish in town at the Boise River at various spots. There are so many places outside of Boise that you can go to that are a reasonable driving distance. The summers can we warm, but it is dry heat. Usually it is the last two weeks of July, first week of August where we have our warmest temperatures. Cost of living is very reasonable and it is a family oriented community.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Definitely Will Check Boise Out

Thanks for your information Torre. I actually subscribe to Where To Retire and usually read every word of it. For some reason I do not recall that article and yet I'm sure I received the magazine. I have read and heard a lot about Boise and all of it good. I think we will have to go there and really research the area in person. I just feel that we need to be practical about where we retire, we only want to make one more move and be done with it. While Boise gets a bit warmer during part of the summer it surely couldn't get as hot, not warm, as it does here in Las Vegas.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:11 AM

If you want I can send you a relocation packet that gives you more info on the area. It's from the chamber of commerce. I am going there on Monday to pick some up for someone else so I can get one for you if you'd like. I'd be happy to send along a copy of that article on Boise from the Where to Retire magazine too. Just let me know. Definitely come and visit, sounds like you are close by and could make the trip. That is the best way to see if this place fits you're lifestyle.
Torrie

Old 03-23-2007, 03:32 PM

1,154 posts, read 4,278,466 times
Boise gets a lot less snow than Northern Idaho. Most of Northern Idaho gets between 50 and 100 inches of snow per year, with more in the mountains. That's not so much because N. ID is colder, but it gets a lot more precip in general. The benefit is that all the precip makes things nice and green up there, so it's a trade off.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 PM

445 posts, read 1,251,345 times
Hello to wanttoretire,

You sound like me. I retired from Las Vegas and moved to Idaho.

After 35 years in LV, I'd grown accustomed to the heat, but I was tired of the many problems associated with population growth. Too many people, too much traffic, too much crime, and too little infrastructure improvements to keep up with it. I wanted peace and quiet.

I chose Idaho's panhandle and opted to live away from cities up here, so I bought a 10-acre spread in the country about 10 miles east of Sandpoint. I heard all the terrible snow stories when I looked the area over and when I finally made the move. I've just completed my third winter and it has been a breeze! Real cold occasionally, little snow to contend with.

From a weather standpoint, Boise is a good choice for you. If you like to fish, Boise has it downtown and all around the area. Boise is pushing 200,000 population and growing quickly. Lots of traffic. Crowds at functions. Lots of fellow fishermen when you angle. I like to fish and, when I do, I rarely see another fisherman up here. Boise is a nice town and area, but too many folks for my taste.

I don't know where you live in LV, but I lived fairly close to the Strip off West Flamingo. Counting all emergency vehicles, I probably heard 50 or more sirens wailing every day!

Been here 3 years.....I've heard one siren! For some reason, that means a lot to me!

Best wishes in your retirement.

Bob (pimit2)

Old 03-23-2007, 08:34 PM

Smile Thank You For Your Kindness

Torre, if everyone was as nice as you are I think we would be very happy in the Boise area. That is a very nice gesture you have offered to do for us, however, after reading these posts and doing more research on the internet I think we are all set to come to Boise and really check it out as well as the fishing areas around Boise. Again, Torre, thank you so much for offering.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 PM

You are very welcome! Enjoy you're visit! I think you will like it here very much!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Panhandle Questions for Pimit2

Thanks for your input, Bob. You're probably just the person to ask questions of regarding Northern Idaho. That actually is our first choice. We've been reading their papers for 3 years and have been there twice for 2 weeks each time. I was very concerned about the snow. There was another person that posted that was from Northern Idaho saying how much trouble the snow is up there and how you have to shovel snow off your roof, etc. I think he posted under WarningVoice.

Anyhow he made me stop and think that if the weather was so treacherous up there perhaps I should consider areas with milder temperatures which is why I started looking at Boise.

From reading your post you say the winters aren't really as bad as that?

If you have the time, I would like to hear more especially since you come from the same area as we do.

By the way, we live in Henderson. The heat is way too intense for me, not necessarily my husband, and the crime and traffic, etc., well, you know the story.

We too, want peace and quiet without too much traffic and just want to garden and fish. That's it. That's why we originally selected the beautiful area you are in but then as I previously mentioned I got concerned over the winter weather and how it would affect us.

Last edited by wanttoretire; 03-24-2007 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Too much space between paragraphs

Old 03-25-2007, 07:45 PM

445 posts, read 1,251,345 times
Smile The Panhandle

Hi WANTTORETIRE,

When I made the decision to leave Las Vegas and to retire in the Idaho Panhandle, locals warned me about the winters. First of all, I was born and raised in Klamath Falls, Oregon, so - believe me - I had no fear of tough winters!

I've now experienced 3 winters in the Panhandle and, I am told, these easy winters have been over the past 6 or so years. Something has changed, the locals tell me. Maybe Al Gore is right about global warming!

Whatever the season, I stock up pretty well when I shop in Sandpoint and Ponderay, both about 10 miles from my place. So, once every two weeks is my shopping schedule. I am a Webmaster, so otherwise, I am at home where I sit at my computer managing my personal websites and other people's websites. I go out everyday in the winter to feed my dogs and horses, but that is a breeze with a warm coat and good boots.

No place I have found in my travels is perfect. Each location has many good points, and some bad points. This ain't Utopia but, then, what is?

My best wishes,

Bob (pimit2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area