Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 15,331 times

Advertisements

I would like to move back to Boise this summer, but from what i have read it doesn't look promising as far as the job market goes. Can anybody tell me what the unemployment rate is like? Are the jobs getting hard to find there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
There is no job market in Boise right now.

It was difficult enough before the current crisis, unless you brought an impressive resume and were willing to "work down" in trade for living here. There were, of course, jobs to be had in construction, real estate, and it wasn't entirely difficult to start your own business.

Those days are gone. Micron has laid off most of its work force (I forget the percentage since it's peak employment days a few years ago, but I think they've laid off something like 75 percent of their work force since then), as has HP. MPC is dead and gone. A few other tech companies have went belly up. Real estate and education have had massive layoffs. Boise State is starting their round of layoffs. Construction is dead.

Honestly, there are some call center jobs, and that's about it. Everyone is clinging tight to the jobs they have (and that are still available), and there isn't a lot of movement going on.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:41 PM

I guess I should be thankful to have a job right now and I will rethink my move until next year. Hopefully things will be better then. I am saddened to have to wait, I truly miss beautiful Boise and all it has to offer. thanks for the good information!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:58 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
There is still a job market in Boise during this national crisis...about as much of a market as most other cities.
1--Micron has not laid off most of it's work force. Correct, a lot of employees have been layed off recently but Micron will still, unless things change, emply 5000 people. Micron is also working at trying to attract other companies to the valley to use some of their buildings, and according to a news release last week one company is considering the move here soon.

2--A few other high tech companies have closed, but there are a lot more high tech companies in Boise holding their own and doing well. There is a large number of high tech companies in Boise, both large and small.

3--Boise State is not laying off anyone yet, but according to the press release they are not renewing contracts for aides, nurses, etc... just in case they cannot afford them in the next school year. The president of BSU said that the announcement does not mean anyone is losing their jobs for sure, but there is a chance some contracts may not be renewed because of the budget.
Everyone here is clinging just as tightly to their jobs as anyone else in this country is.

yes, it is a difficult time everywhere and Boise has had its share of layoffs, and the local job market is tight, very tight right now, but this city always pulls out of a recession flying high so lets all keep our fingers crossed.
A good sign is home sales are up in the valley, much higher than the national average, and the values are starting to stabilize. There is a link to this in the local press outlets.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2boisesoon View Post
I guess I should be thankful to have a job right now and I will rethink my move until next year. Hopefully things will be better then. I am saddened to have to wait, I truly miss beautiful Boise and all it has to offer. thanks for the good information!
If you're interested in moving back...just look. Because someone says there is no job market doesn't meant you can't get a job and because someone says things aren't so bad doesn't mean you will get a job. So just take a look and apply and see where it leads you.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,138 times
There are jobs out there in Boise. Idaho Dept. of Labor is full of jobs. Its just that most people do not have the training, education, or skill level to get these jobs. Competition is fierce. You need to have the best resume, expect hundreds of applicants for one job, and go through multiple interviews to get the job. Employers can be picky in this tite job market. But the best advise is always have a job before you move, or a lot of cash to keep you going until you find employment.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 AM

This is such a great forum and very informative. I don't think I would have a problem so much with getting a job, it's my husband that I worry about. He works in the lumber business, and has for most of his adult life. He has a job right now but it is starting to affect his hours lately. He has never even seen Boise as of yet but we will be coming out there in May so he can see all that Boise has to offer and the beauty of it. As for me, I have 20 years of working in an office environment (acctg, clerical and such) so I can pretty much work anywhere that includes office work. The hard part of it all is getting a job there while living here and there is NO WAY I would move without one. I guess it couldn't hurt to start putting some resumes out anyways. I just am so ready to move out of California and come back home to Boise it's all I think about. Thanks again for all your help and informatiom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area