Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times

Advertisements

BKtoBoisesoon this is for you! This just came out and confirms what many of us have been saying on the forum. Read this article first so you understand the criteria for the placement of each city.

We're No. 9! Forbes says so. | Business | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/business/story/711933.html - broken link)

This is the actual break down of how Boise shakes out.

The Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com.

Boise has a very strong Creative Class which is why we will probably recover quicker from the downturn than most places. I posted a thread about the Creative Class a while back on the forum, we also fell in 9th position for that.

//www.city-data.com/forum/boise...ass-boise.html

Here's a recent article by Richard Florida, a leader in demographic trends, who explains the creative class and why areas who have it will rebound quicker from the national recession.

"Just as I explained in my Atlantic Monthly piece, regions and communities that have built creative economies will recover from the economic downturn faster than those who have not. As the economy recovers, we will see an even greater concentration of creative talent. Regions and communities that successfully compete for creative talent and positive economic growth will be those that provide creative works with a complete authentic community--a good job market/economy, thick amenities (restaurants, arts, parks, etc.), appealing aesthetics, safe neighborhoods, viable public transportation or connectivity, etc. "

You Are Where You Live - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:42 PM

150 posts, read 580,295 times
Thats a relief!!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Absolutely amazing how these lists are utter nonsense when they say something negative about a city, yet when it's a positive endorsement...

Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Absolutely amazing how these lists are utter nonsense when they say something negative about a city, yet when it's a positive endorsement...
I agree.

And if these Chamber of Commerce paid plugs really mean anything when people can't get jobs anyway. But whatever gets the people moving in, I suppose...

Old 03-28-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I agree.

And if these Chamber of Commerce paid plugs really mean anything when people can't get jobs anyway. But whatever gets the people moving in, I suppose...

Despite what you think, people are getting jobs. Has it slowed down, you bet, no different than the rest of the country.

I'm sorry you're anit-growth and that these positive plugs bother you, but for some people they do offer insite. I think we all get that you don't like these lists as you post negative comments everytime one is posted. If Boise is so awful, than maybe you should move? Otherwise, if you don't have anything nice to say maybe you shouldn't post, as I don't see your comment adding any benefits to this conversation.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I find it amazing that when the truth is listed, people still complain... now that's utter nonsense if you ask me.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:56 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I find it amazing that when the truth is listed, people still complain... now that's utter nonsense if you ask me.
What truth? You posted an opinion-oriented article that is quite well known for being all of the map and using preferential statistical analysis.

Here's one link. ‘Best places’ lists land all over the map - Best places- msnbc.com

I get that you enjoy these lists because they offer vindication for your job and point of view. That's fine.

But that doesn't mean these lists really mean anything. If someone reads these lists thinking "hey, Boise is in the top ten for best places for a career - let's move there" then they're going to find themselves in quite the bind when they come here without a job in hand.

The idea that some of us can't post in a thread like this because we don't quite buy how the statistics are spun is just silly. Even more so with the idea that if we're critical of Boise - a place some of us have been all of our lives - that we should leave.

We're offering our opinions so people reading these threads can get a fuller idea of what people who actually live here - rather than a magazine that is paid to make these rankings (which change every year anyway) - have to say.

Yesterday I saw an old truck on Veteran's Parkway with a bumper sticker that said "Idaho: The Slave Wage State." Should we tell this guy he should leave too?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:47 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thumbs up Good post and I agree Boisefan88!

I've been on this forum for 3 yrs and find that if you disagree with various posters, you get mean spirited replies . Please keep posting ! I've enjoyed ALL your comments and found you to be one of the few assets on here and quite accurate (imho) in your assessments .

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
What truth? You posted an opinion-oriented article that is quite well known for being all of the map and using preferential statistical analysis.

Here's one link. ‘Best places’ lists land all over the map - Best places- msnbc.com

I get that you enjoy these lists because they offer vindication for your job and point of view. That's fine.

But that doesn't mean these lists really mean anything. If someone reads these lists thinking "hey, Boise is in the top ten for best places for a career - let's move there" then they're going to find themselves in quite the bind when they come here without a job in hand.

The idea that some of us can't post in a thread like this because we don't quite buy how the statistics are spun is just silly. Even more so with the idea that if we're critical of Boise - a place some of us have been all of our lives - that we should leave.

We're offering our opinions so people reading these threads can get a fuller idea of what people who actually live here - rather than a magazine that is paid to make these rankings (which change every year anyway) - have to say.

Yesterday I saw an old truck on Veteran's Parkway with a bumper sticker that said "Idaho: The Slave Wage State." Should we tell this guy he should leave too?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Ummm...sort of funny...but MSNBC ranks Boise #2 best place to live. The link is within the article linked above. lol

Top 10 best places to live in the U.S. - Best places- msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area