Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 08:52 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear your opinions regarding the quality of education. If you are from somewhere else how does it compare? If you were raised in Boise do you feel satisfied with your education? The more responses the better, as my husband was concerned regarding student expenditures and some comments he read on another site. Right now, I'm pro Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:06 PM

I sure wish someone could help.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
I went to high school in Boise. It is superior to inner city schools but I feel subpar to similar demographic areas lets say in California. But these communities often have measures and bonds that wouldn't pass as easily in Idaho. Overall, I would say Boise schools are "good."

I had a lot of teachers that made it obvious they hated teaching. I had two teachers my senior year count down on the board the number of days till retirement and several others tell me they became teachers for vacation and/or they didn't know what else to do. I'm sure this isn't isolated to Boise but that is my experience.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:58 PM

Just wondering why there were so few responses to my question? The dentist post got a lot more. Are there any Boise parents here? Is it because I am writing from NYC? I am genuinely curious. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,417 times
That question you ask is kind of ambiguous.
The quality of education has a lot to do with what imput the children get from parents at home.
The poorest of school districts have children with high quality education because they have parents at home that participate in their education.
I imagine that Boise has both over and under achievers like any school district. The kids get out of it what the family puts in.
If New York is telling you it's time for a change then go west young man.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,625 times
Hi Gimme It, I live in Idaho and am employed in education. I have to agree with DESERTRYDER so much of what a child gets out of the education he is receiving depends on the investment of the family. I work primarily with the overachieving and underachieving populations and I have observed that our students are greatly impacted by many variables other than demographics and/or public or private education. Sometimes I am amazed at how much credit we get or do not get regarding student's success and/or failure. I have worked with parents who are convinced that their student's needs cannot be met in mere public school (although I have tested many who come from private or charter schools who are not nearly as advanced as their parents have believed them to be) and I have worked with parents who are barely aware that their child even goes to school. We have students roughly 6 hours of the day. They sleep (or should sleep) about 10 (I know, teenagers do it all on the weekends!). That leaves 8 hours unaccounted for by us. What parents choose to do, or choose not to do can significantly enhance or destroy what we do in our 6 hours. Actually....I discovered this strain while I was searching for another post by DESERTRYDER regarding a campground by the City of Rocks. He mentioned that it was outside the entrance. I have a small camp trailer and would love to be able to "hook up." I have searched the internet, but have had no luck finding anything that fits the description. The post was last summer but if DESERTRYDER would feel so inclines to let me know if he remembers the name or has any contact information, I would sure appreciate it. Back to Gimme It, if you have any specific questions, I would try to address them. If I don't know the answers, I probably know someone who does. I work with people who have been in education in Idaho for over 20 years compared to my 7. They are very knowledgeable.

Last edited by ologistgyrlsyk; 04-26-2009 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Emphasis on section addressing another topic

Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ologistgyrlsyk View Post
Hi Gimme It, I live in Idaho and am employed in education. I have to agree with DESERTRYDER so much of what a child gets out of the education he is receiving depends on the investment of the family. I work primarily with the overachieving and underachieving populations and I have observed that our students are greatly impacted by many variables other than demographics and/or public or private education. Sometimes I am amazed at how much credit we get or do not get regarding student's success and/or failure. I have worked with parents who are convinced that their student's needs cannot be met in mere public school (although I have tested many who come from private or charter schools who are not nearly as advanced as their parents have believed them to be) and I have worked with parents who are barely aware that their child even goes to school. We have students roughly 6 hours of the day. They sleep (or should sleep) about 10 (I know, teenagers do it all on the weekends!). That leaves 8 hours unaccounted for by us. What parents choose to do, or choose not to do can significantly enhance or destroy what we do in our 6 hours. Actually....I discovered this strain while I was searching for another post by DESERTRYDER regarding a campground by the City of Rocks. He mentioned that it was outside the entrance. I have a small camp trailer and would love to be able to "hook up." I have searched the internet, but have had no luck finding anything that fits the description. The post was last summer but if DESERTRYDER would feel so inclines to let me know if he remembers the name or has any contact information, I would sure appreciate it. Back to Gimme It, if you have any specific questions, I would try to address them. If I don't know the answers, I probably know someone who does. I work with people who have been in education in Idaho for over 20 years compared to my 7. They are very knowledgeable.

Thanks so much. I guess what I'm looking for is to hear about the education climate in Boise. Are most of the parents pro-education? Are most of the kids going on to college? Are there enough honors classes and AP classes for those inclined? Do the kids feel prepared when they get to college? Overall is there a lot of hands on learning or do the teachers lecture? Is there a big focus on testing? From my research it looks like Timerberline and Boise High have the best reps. Is this true? Do you have a favorite middle school? Thanks again

Old 04-27-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,625 times
Wow! Give me some time and I will work on those.

I am actually NOT in Boise so I don't know about specifics in that area. I know that in Idaho, Boise is the most diversified area. Overall, Idaho does focus on testing but I think the intensity of the focus is waning some. I know in my part of Idaho the main focus is higher education following or concurrent with high school With Boise State right there, I would guess they would have concurrent enrollment available there as well. Have you gone on-line and viewed each of the school's web pages? You may also want to look in outlying areas i.e. Meridian. The Meridian school district has typically been a leader here in Idaho as far as education practices and test scores. I still believe that in answer to all of your questions, regardless of the reputation or practices of an individual school district or school, if a student is motivated, they can do anything anywhere.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,367 times
The legislature recently announced they were trimming $4million from the textbook budget. That probably isn't a good thing for Boise or Idaho students. There are a lot of home schooled children, maybe not in Boise, but in Idaho.

Boise State appears to be a commuter school. I believe most of the undergrad students have jobs and go to school. My assumption is that most students who go to U of I are "traditional" fully enrolled, 4 or 5 year plan students.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I would like to hear your opinions regarding the quality of education. If you are from somewhere else how does it compare? If you were raised in Boise do you feel satisfied with your education? The more responses the better, as my husband was concerned regarding student expenditures and some comments he read on another site. Right now, I'm pro Boise.
To be honest I think that all but the most elite of schools in the country aren't quite adequate when you compare our educational standards to those of the rest of the world. That being said, I believe that it is a decent education and I certainly wouldn't feel as if my kids would be ignorant if they went to school here. So I would rate it as about middle grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area