Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,086 times

Advertisements

As others have said I am a bit confused about the whole thing about being looked down on for buying chocolate ice cream. If you have ever been to an LDS activity I think you will find Chocolate of any kind to be prevalent as a form of refreshment. As far as the excluding thing goes, if it does happen 99% of the time, IT IS NOT INTENTIONAL!!!!!!!!! Fact of the matter is that LDS families are very busy. Between regular secular activities (ie work, school, sports, etc.) and then Church related things (meetings, activities, service projects) it gets busy and sometimes other folks can feel left out, even though they aren't actively going out of their way to exclude non-LDS folks from their lives, sometimes it does take a reminder to break them out and realize that not all people they associate with are part of their busy schedule in every respect. So honestly I chalk it up to absent-mindedness and a busy schedule more than intentional exclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:23 AM

101 posts, read 451,866 times
lol, then maybe it's the pepsi?

idk, but no matter HOW nice i try to be to the female checkers at WinCo, i SWEAR they'll be nice at first, and then look at my groceries, and completely clam up and stop speaking. it's the weirdest thing i've ever experienced at a grocery store, and it happens every time i go there and get a middle-aged female checker. the younger ones are nice, and the male checkers never seem odd, either.

that's funny about the chocolate misunderstanding though....because that same person who tried to recruit me the moment we met is the one who told me about the chocolate, and she has been LDS since birth. perhaps there are different rules for different people of the LDS faith?

to whomever said i was "angry"....i'm not angry at all, lol. i just ignore it anymore. boise still seems quite "stepford-ish" to me, but it does seem to be getting slightly better all the time.

i'm hardly paranoid OR cynical, LMAO!!! hahahahahahaha! that's hilarious! just annoyed by people who treat others badly with no cause. it's commonly heard by people here who will admit to being from california, that idahoans often dislike them simply for being from our homestate. what a stupid reason to dislike somebody! lol, that's the kind of stuff i'm talking about. it's narrow-mindedness, and all the lovely attributes that seem to accompany it.

but whatever, you're not affecting me. like i said, i ignore it anymore. i treat others well, regardless of their religious affilliation (or absence of), and that won't change.

have a nice life!!

ETA: i just re-read and saw the comment suggesting that LDS parents at the school might have been picking up on my assumed "keep your mormon cooties away" attitude (not verbatim). lol, in my defense, that's impossible, as when i moved here, i sincerely knew NOTHING about the LDS church. in fact, i still know very little aside from personal experiences that we've had. i had no idea what the Twilight-Zone-ish behavior was all about, until a teacher explained it to me. so, i wasn't reading anything into any of it, because i didn't know about any of it.

you know, i can understand why LDS wouldn't want a lot of non-LDS in their "space". truly, i can. it's a clean city with low crime, and they want to keep it that way. who can blame anyone for wanting that? i just wish more would be willing to be kind and/or friendly to non LDS who move into the area, when said non LDS'rs are law abiding, kind, respectful people who have kind, friendly, law abiding children. it's really hurtful for a kid to be told "you're not the right kind of kid to be friends with" simply for being non LDS, when that kid happens to be an exceptionally kind-hearted person who wouldn't hurt a fly and always includes everyone. i'm just saying....it's those kinds of things that leave non-LDS with these negative impressions.

as i said though, we homeschool now (for lots of reasons, not just because of the LDS thing at school), and are very fortunate to live in a neighborhood with lots of down to earth people and several families from other countries, even, so our experience for the most part is really decent these days, as long as we ignore the silliness when it crops up (and as long as we don't buy chocolate at WinCo, LOL!!!)

Last edited by Pippi333; 07-11-2009 at 12:36 AM..

Old 07-11-2009, 04:22 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,938,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I keep reading more and more about mormons in Boise....what if you aren't religious and have no intention of ever becoming religous? I've had mormon friends in CA who didn't look down upon me for caffeine, etc..... I keep my beliefs to myself and think others should do the same. Is this kind of stuff an issue in Idaho?
We aren't religious and it wasn't an issue. But, we do not have school aged kids either. If you have children, it might be a small problem since most of the kids activities are ward based.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:27 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
lol, then maybe it's the pepsi?

idk, but no matter HOW nice i try to be to the female checkers at WinCo, i SWEAR they'll be nice at first, and then look at my groceries, and completely clam up and stop speaking. it's the weirdest thing i've ever experienced at a grocery store, and it happens every time i go there and get a middle-aged female checker. the younger ones are nice, and the male checkers never seem odd, either.

that's funny about the chocolate misunderstanding though....because that same person who tried to recruit me the moment we met is the one who told me about the chocolate, and she has been LDS since birth. perhaps there are different rules for different people of the LDS faith?

to whomever said i was "angry"....i'm not angry at all, lol. i just ignore it anymore. boise still seems quite "stepford-ish" to me, but it does seem to be getting slightly better all the time.

i'm hardly paranoid OR cynical, LMAO!!! hahahahahahaha! that's hilarious! just annoyed by people who treat others badly with no cause. it's commonly heard by people here who will admit to being from california, that idahoans often dislike them simply for being from our homestate. what a stupid reason to dislike somebody! lol, that's the kind of stuff i'm talking about. it's narrow-mindedness, and all the lovely attributes that seem to accompany it.

but whatever, you're not affecting me. like i said, i ignore it anymore. i treat others well, regardless of their religious affilliation (or absence of), and that won't change.

have a nice life!!

ETA: i just re-read and saw the comment suggesting that LDS parents at the school might have been picking up on my assumed "keep your mormon cooties away" attitude (not verbatim). lol, in my defense, that's impossible, as when i moved here, i sincerely knew NOTHING about the LDS church. in fact, i still know very little aside from personal experiences that we've had. i had no idea what the Twilight-Zone-ish behavior was all about, until a teacher explained it to me. so, i wasn't reading anything into any of it, because i didn't know about any of it.

you know, i can understand why LDS wouldn't want a lot of non-LDS in their "space". truly, i can. it's a clean city with low crime, and they want to keep it that way. who can blame anyone for wanting that? i just wish more would be willing to be kind and/or friendly to non LDS who move into the area, when said non LDS'rs are law abiding, kind, respectful people who have kind, friendly, law abiding children. it's really hurtful for a kid to be told "you're not the right kind of kid to be friends with" simply for being non LDS, when that kid happens to be an exceptionally kind-hearted person who wouldn't hurt a fly and always includes everyone. i'm just saying....it's those kinds of things that leave non-LDS with these negative impressions.

as i said though, we homeschool now (for lots of reasons, not just because of the LDS thing at school), and are very fortunate to live in a neighborhood with lots of down to earth people and several families from other countries, even, so our experience for the most part is really decent these days, as long as we ignore the silliness when it crops up (and as long as we don't buy chocolate at WinCo, LOL!!!)
hmm.. my advice would be to quit caring what other people think about you or your family.. f- them...
last time I cared what someone thought of what I buy or how I live my life.. I felt the same way as you describe.... it's making you a bit oversensitive I would say.. and no matter where you live there will always be something you'll tune into because you're busy looking for it subconsciously perhaps...
I have to admit, sometimes I'm the person that's quiet and short with people when they're trying to be friendly and conversational with me.. and Its not because I'm judging them or think less, it's usually because I'm a space case, and I get distracted and caught up in a thought..
Perhaps the lady's checking out your groceries are doing the same thing.. as they're ringing your stuff up it's distracting them to their list in their mind of what they need to pick up before they go home.. dunno.. just a thought...
the fact that you have initially connected the lady's ringing you up at winco to mormons says quite a bit.. because it's really quite a stretch.. I'd venture to say maybe one or two of them AT THE MOST would actually be mormon...

Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM

21 posts, read 79,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
i'm tired of the checkers at WinCo being nice until they see i have chocolate ice cream in my groceries, and then refusing to say another word to me. .
Ah, so I'm not the only one to be on the receiving end of this sort of treatment by WinCo checkers. I have noticed that, at least here in Twin Falls, nothing triggers the surly, silent service faster than Diet Coke (or Diet Pepsi). This judgemental treatment (usually from other customers as well) is one of the main reasons why I don't shop at WinCo any more.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,206 times
I think I am looking forward to the checkers reaction of my weekend shopping.
KY jelly, Diet Coke, cheese puffs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area