Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,672,521 times

Advertisements

For Dental Assistant's I'd guess somewhere between 30k to 45k at best. I could be off but I seem to remember a family friend working with a dentist and not making too much. Not sure what she did exactly, though.

Wages for the most part will be substantially lower here than California. Them's just the facts. You could get lucky, however.

Our air quality is nothing to brag about, however. While it is probably better than most of Southern and Central California, we are in an inversion pocket, which traps smog, summer haze, smoke from farming or summer fires, and winter inversions. Our air quality is pretty bad even by national standards, and I think we're in the process of being sanctioned by the EPA for going over allowable standards for air quality.

We're high desert too. There's a misconception that Boise is in the mountains - it's not. Yeah, they're just right there, but we're brown, dusty, and absolutely high desert. Also, fires are nothing to ignore. Boise had a severe fire in 1996 which burned most of the foothills by 8th street, and just last year the Oregon Trail fire destroyed many homes and killed a Boise State professor.

Summers get hot. Seems it gets hotter earlier every year. Expect low to mid 90's for most of the summer, which a two or three week stretch in the high 90's - low 100's in late July / August. Don't underestimate the elevation factor in the heat. It really makes the sun bear down on you. This is also the reason an 80 degree day in the mountains feels extremely hot. At least it isn't humid.

Winters get cold but they are comfortable. Cabin fever is what gets me. It gets dark early in the winter - at 4:30-5:00 for a few weeks stretch around Christmas. That, the cloudiness at times, and just the long winter/spring (late Nov to late April) makes for restlessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 02:20 PM

879 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post

We're high desert too. There's a misconception that Boise is in the mountains - it's not. Yeah, they're just right there, but we're brown, dusty, and absolutely high desert. Also, fires are nothing to ignore. Boise had a severe fire in 1996 which burned most of the foothills by 8th street, and just last year the Oregon Trail fire destroyed many homes and killed a Boise State professor.

Winters get cold but they are comfortable. Cabin fever is what gets me. It gets dark early in the winter - at 4:30-5:00 for a few weeks stretch around Christmas. That, the cloudiness at times, and just the long winter/spring (late Nov to late April) makes for restlessness.
Just for comparison sake a lot of the recent fires in California sometimes burn 100s of homes at each fire. I don't believe there has been a fire in Boise that has burned that amount of homes.

It gets dark here at the same time in winter...although the sunrises earlier than it does in Boise. But I'm not a morning person so, for me a California winter day seems as short.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:41 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,347,128 times
The Oregon Trail fire last year was started by an Idaho Power line that sparked; not by natural conditions. It was a completely freak accident that caused a sad situation.
The 8th Street Fire in 1996 was started by a police officer who fired a gun somewhere off of 8th street and caused the fire, again not started by nature.

The last time I looked around I saw plenty of green foilage and trees and grass. Boise is not brown, it is a green oasis in the high desert and the mountains and foothills directly above the city are green during much of Spring and early Summer, but the forests on top of the moutains you see from the city are evergreen all year long. During growing months the Treasure Valley from Boise to Ontario is a lush green cornucopia of diverse agricultural crops, vineyards, orchards, and mint. This valley surrounded by mountains is an amazing breadbasket and if I remember correctly Canyon County is ranked as one of the top 10 producing ag counties in the nation.

Most locations I am aware of in the Western USA get dark around 5pm in the Winter. On the other hand during the Summer months there is magnificent daylight almost until 10pm and the sun set in the Treasure Valley is an event almost every night.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 05-31-2009 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: spelling:)

Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Just for comparison sake a lot of the recent fires in California sometimes burn 100s of homes at each fire. I don't believe there has been a fire in Boise that has burned that amount of homes.

It gets dark here at the same time in winter...although the sunrises earlier than it does in Boise. But I'm not a morning person so, for me a California winter day seems as short.
Well, there's also a lot more homes down there to burn, too.

Fact is almost all of the arid west suffers from this rest - some more than others. But you'd be completely fooling yourself if you don't think that Boise has a significant fire risk - the place is completely surrounded by fire-prone cheatgrass, sage, or timber. Many a nights I've driven through fires on I-84 to Mountain Home. At least 6 or 7 times a summer (that I know about) the Fire Dept and/or BLM responds to a lightning blaze that starts in the desert or foothills just outside of Boise.

I deal a lot with fire policy stuff with work, or rather, with BLM firefighters who deal with fire policy. Let me tell you, it's an absolutely ridiculous situation they are put into to try and put out fires almost SIMPLY because idiot people decide to build homes in or near forested land that is prone to fire. Honestly, we should just evacuate and let these places burn. There is no reason to put people's lives in danger just because of the stupid places people build.

Reminds me of the dope that decided to build his subdivision out of city limits, and then when his house caught fire who came and saved him? That's right - BFD. I'm glad they sent him the big fat bill.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The Oregon Trail fire last year was started by an Idaho Power line that sparked; not by natural conditions. It was a completely freak accident that caused a sad situation.
The 8th Street Fire in 1996 was started by a police officer who fired a gun somewhere off of 8th street and caused the fire, again not started by nature.
Absolutely correct. Sadly, many fires are started by people instead of nature. Point is, the area we live in - full of cheat grass, sage, timber, and high temperatures and winds - is ripe for major fires be it a cigarette, lightning, a campfire, or whatever.

Quote:
The last time I looked around I saw plenty of green foilage and trees and grass. Boise is not brown, it is a green oasis in the high desert and the mountains and foothills directly above the city are green during much of Spring and early Summer, but the forests on top of the moutains you see from the city are evergreen all year long. During growing months the Treasure Valley from Boise to Ontario is a lush green cornucopia of diverse agricultural crops, vineyards, orchards, and mint. This valley surrounded by mountains is an amazing breadbasket and if I remember correctly Canyon County is ranked as one of the top 10 producing ag counties in the nation.
The city itself is full of trees and green, yeah. But come on - we are absolutely high desert here and it is very much yellow/brown for most of the year. The foothills stay green from March to mid June. From then to first snow they stay yellow. During winter they're a yellowish-brown. Yeah, there's forest to the north and up to elevation, but Boise itself is desert.

I'm well aware of the surprisingly rich agriculture in the area, mostly along the Snake river, but with some pockets along other minor rivers and canals. I've not heard that stat about Canyon County - in fact, I'd really doubt it. I would think a great many more counties in Idaho alone produce more agriculture than Canyon County (which is a very tiny county). I could be wrong, but I would think Twin Falls, Cassia, Minidoka, and Bannock counties all produce more agriculture. Ah well, not a point to quibble over.

My point, again, is simply that Boise is in high desert. The area, for the most part, is brown, dusty, and desert. The city itself is tree filled and green, and there are forests just north. We do have a good number of water to recreate in, but there is a water shortage in the area (indeed, in the West as a whole) and it will only get worse. That's fairly indisputable.

Quote:
Most locations I am aware of in the Western USA get dark around 5pm in the Winter. On the other hand during the Summer months there is magnificent daylight almost until 10pm and the sun set in the Treasure Valley is an event almost every night.
I think we benefit from being near the Western edge of the Mountain time zone. It keeps our summer days extremely long, and our winter days relatively short.

I don't mean to suggest that it is any worse here than elsewhere. Obviously the more north you go the more your daylight is impacted. I was only suggesting that, for me, the winter cold doesn't get wearisome for me, but rather the lack of light and (at times) cloudiness and inversions. Indeed, compared to say, Seattle, it's nothing. But it is something that can wear on some people.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 AM

879 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Well, there's also a lot more homes down there to burn, too.
That is why I said each fire. Santa Barbara is smaller than Boise but has had serious fires that damaged many, many homes in the last year. Damaging fires are possible in Boise but far, far less likely than in SoCal. The OP is looking for a comparison between Boise and SoCal. Here in SoCal we have Santa Ana winds that bring bone dry, hot winds with gusts 80+ mph in some locations that last for days. I've never seen anything like that in Boise. Just no comparison when comparing property damage threats.

BTW, I'm just referring to property damage threats. Obviously, Idaho's neverending and increasingly dry, unhealthy forests are prone to weather related fires. The State of Idaho just about burns down every year.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:47 AM

I think the primary difference is Boise has maintained a more distinct urban-wildland interface than many cities in CA, that have home infesting the hills, canyons, and mountains. That sort of development is more limited here (not for long, though).

I am in total agreement that many areas in SoCal are at more risk for fire than Boise.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:40 PM

112 posts, read 228,962 times
I have not been up to boise as of yet, but am planning to drive up within the next couple weeks. My Girlfriend is getting fed up with things here in CA so both her and I want to explore the area before making a decision. With the economic hardships that are affecting many communities now, how is boise holding up? It looks like the Unemployment Rate in Boise is much lower than Los Angeles I like the housing prices in Boise compared to CA, is there any light/insight one cans shed on this aspect for us...

Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 PM

As been repeated many, many times - you shouldn't move without having a job first.

Most jobs I've heard about receive anywhere from 100-300 apps per position. Our firm recently opened a sort of specialized reception position and received about 150 apps. Normal when the position opens, I'm told, is about 25 or so over a month.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,084,727 times
Sorry, the city of Boise surpoassed it's annual allotment of California exiles in May of this year; the city is now officially closed to them.
Maybe try Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area