Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 PM

46 posts, read 198,330 times

Advertisements

I have posted on here a few times because I was moving to Boise from another state and I needed some input from the current residents of Boise and Meridian. Just to update you, I am no longer moving to Boise. We actually came out to visit and rented a house and before we could move in my husband was hit by the lay offs. Needless to say, we are waiting to find renters for that house but we are staying put for now and not moving.

I just wanted to let all of you know that I post on the Boise forum and in the forum for the area I live in now and I also go under alot of miscellaneous forums and I must say the Boise people are very nice. I rarely see any bickering or harsh comments posted on your forum and everybody is very helpful. For the most part all of the forums I have been on have very nice people ,with the exception of my own state, but Boise has exceptionally nice people. I noticed this when I came to your state to visit as well.

Thank you all for your input and comments and I hope someday we can call Boise home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 AM

215 posts, read 789,065 times
Hi Charmed, sorry to hear about your husband's work..its happening a lot everywhere..some of our best friends have worked at the same job for 20+ years and then were laid off. You and your family are in my thoughts and I wish you well..thanks for the kind words about Boise area, I agree we have some of the nicest people here. Take care!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 PM

23 posts, read 65,884 times
I have to agree about the civility of the posters. I posted on my local (SF Bay Area) site requesting input from any possible California locals having relocated to Boise and moved back = the moderator told me that I should post on the Boise forum - DUH. I was just trying to reach out to any locals who had input on moving from CA to ID. I was fully admonished.

In any event, the Boise posters are THE most polite and courteous, helpful, and willing to re-visit the same questions, over and over and over and over and over and over again. You guys are fabulous and restore my faith that there are people out there willing to help others.

Thank you to all of you posters in Boise. This is why we "normal people" stuck in California are so drawn to the Boise area.

I CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE THERE!!!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM

46 posts, read 198,330 times
I used to live in California and surprisingly I would take CA any day over the state I live in now. The people here are nasty and mean all the time. They attack you for no reason at all. Not just in postings but in everyday life. It amazes me. And this is the Hoosier Hospitality state.

I hope you have a great move to Boise. (I got the impression that you plan to move there) And I hope I can join you someday. Thanks for your response.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 13,984 times
I was surprised also by how polite and nice everyone is on the Boise board! We have been looking at relocating recently and have been looking at the PNW. The threads I have been reading are so informative and polite and welcoming that Boise is quickly moving to the top of our list of possible places to move! I was amazed at how horrible the people on the Oregon board were to each other and Washington was better but still very negative which is exactly what we're trying to get away from in Florida!

Old 05-23-2009, 02:01 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,332 times
That's easily explained, the folks over in Oregon and Washington (at least the most populated areas) never see the sun. I took a trip over to the Oregon Coast with my wife at the end of April and you should've seen how excited they got when the sun came out and every shop we went to they would always say "enjoy the sun". To us it seemed comical since the sun shines in Boise for about 60% of the year.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:01 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmedlife357 View Post
I have posted on here a few times because I was moving to Boise from another state and I needed some input from the current residents of Boise and Meridian. Just to update you, I am no longer moving to Boise. We actually came out to visit and rented a house and before we could move in my husband was hit by the lay offs. Needless to say, we are waiting to find renters for that house but we are staying put for now and not moving.

I just wanted to let all of you know that I post on the Boise forum and in the forum for the area I live in now and I also go under alot of miscellaneous forums and I must say the Boise people are very nice. I rarely see any bickering or harsh comments posted on your forum and everybody is very helpful. For the most part all of the forums I have been on have very nice people ,with the exception of my own state, but Boise has exceptionally nice people. I noticed this when I came to your state to visit as well.

Thank you all for your input and comments and I hope someday we can call Boise home.
So sorry that you hit a stroke of bad luck. Let's just call it a hiccup; hopefully your move can be postponed and you can move at a later date. I've had several clients who intended to move, but because of the economy have had to push their plans back to a later date. Maybe in time you can re-vist the move as things stabilize. Best of luck and keep the faith!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,373 times
Lived in Meridian for 16 months and it was mostly just OK. Loved the mountains, sunshine, BODO, the market on the Grove, Six-one-Six, and Banbury. People were friendly, almost to the point of being catatonic. Do they put something in the water to sedate the population? Funniest thing I found in the area was most found it rude to honk their car horn. Now I live in a mid-Atlantic state with people wizzing by me at 15-20 mph over the speed limit and I fear for my life!
Downside was/is the housing market. The home I sold in Meridian went for $87,000 less than what I paid for it. Fortunately my company covered me when I relocated away from ID.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:14 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
I wouldn't take the forum as any indication of a place's civility.

In my opinion Boise and Idaho are far friendlier places than most places in the western US, but doesn't come close to places I've visited extensively in South Dakota/Iowa.

Although the drive home from the mountains today resembled the Friday evening drive from Los Angeles to Vegas. Bumper to bumper, people riding your butt, middle fingers waving. It was sheer madness.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:35 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Funniest thing I found in the area was most found it rude to honk their car horn.
I grew up in Boise and I hate honking. I become enraged when people honk and they really have no idea what they're honking at (I.E. making a right turn and waiting for a pedestrian while the taxi driver behind you honks the horn). Living in Hollywood and traversing urban LA I've become more apt to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area