Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 AM

20 posts, read 29,626 times

Advertisements

I had my two day interview in Boise about a month ago. The hiring manager was proud of the fact that his staff routinely work 60 to 80 hours per week. I was undeterred.

I found Boise to be a lovely place, with friendly people. An amazing place to raise a family.

But the haters can take comfort that I will not be moving to Boise. I was offered the job, but at less than half my previous pay, less than I was making in 1996.

@Syringaloid Since you asked, I believe all corporate media spins the news to support their own interests. Fox News is just the most blatant and evil of them all. If you want the truth, you have to rely on independent media. I trust www.democracynow.org Who do you trust?

Last edited by digitb123; 10-07-2011 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: to remove html tags displaying incorrectly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM

674 posts, read 1,453,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
So...in a conversation about living around like-minded individuals you've already managed to interject partisan jabs toward about 70% of the population of Idaho.

This is NOT the live-and-let-live attitude in Idaho. I may not care for your politics or how you vote, but I'm not going to throw it in your face either.
While you might not do this, it is very common place in Idaho, not only though individuals here, but through many of the policies implemented.

However, such is the system we live in... someone is always going to feel like their views are marginalized or ignored.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 PM

44 posts, read 27,436 times
We're glad you're not moving here either.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM

114 posts, read 287,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
This is an old thread but what the OP said about police in Meridian is spot on.."they are watching". I live in Boise but go to Meridian every day. Literally every night when I am driving home between 11pm and 1am I see at least one, maybe two cars pulled over. Mind you I only drive from Cherry Lane at Meridian Road to the free way. I am in constant fear of being pulled over even though I'm not doing anything wrong. But for a city the size of of Meridian with the low crime rate..there are way too many police. I always breath a sigh of relief the second I hit the freeway and am under jurisdiction of the troopers, and an even bigger sigh of relief when I cross Eagle road and am back in Boise. It reminds me of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The second you cross that bridge, their powers end.
A bit off topic, but why would any law abiding citizen fear the police??? Thank God they are not understaffed like most other places!!! News flash, it is the little things that are allowed to fester that ruin a community...and yes, teens of all people need a VERY tight leash! Go MPD !!! P.S. When you hear people make silly comments such as, "Don't they have bigger fish to fry" or "Anything better to do", that just may be an indicator that you live work and play in a safe/nice environment.

Last edited by Cyclingfan; 10-10-2011 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 AM

114 posts, read 287,291 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Agreed.

But at the same time, politics is so funny. I love when people trash everyone else's politicians but continue to vote their person in year after year after year. No wonder we all keep getting the same ol' crap time and time again.

2010 was fascinating because the anti-incumbent fervor was at an all time high, and everyone was convinced a change of power was in the best interest of the nation. What really happened? More of the same.

Elections are like being a Cubs fan: every year is the year; optimism is always renewed. But... what ends up happening is yet another losing season.
Well said...If we always do what we always did, we will always get what we always got!! Apply that to many areas of life and I think things would start to turn around....the biggest component we left out was we must make informed votes and decisions!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:46 PM

405 posts, read 1,276,348 times
I'm a right-wing, freedom loving, religious conservative and I finding that I like Boise, although being Jewish, I am generally not accepted by the bible thumpers or other more "religious right-wing conservatives". Which, makes me somewhat of a freak and therefore somewhat tolerated by the left, but generally only "tolerated", not "accepted".

I do hang out at some of the hipsterish coffeeshops in downtown. One thing that stuck out to me was how the girls in Boise, even the hipsterish ones, actually go out of their way to wear makeup and look nice. The girls in Boise are definitely prettier then in Portland. I'm not thinking this is genetics, but rather they seem to spend a bit more time to enhance their image. Also, I notice a few more suit wearers in downtown Boise than in downtown Portland. I'm not sure if this has to do with being near the Capitol. I'm in love with downtown Boise really. It is so clean, quiet, even during rush hour it is a breeze zooming all around the downtown. ALl the homeless guys are quiet and polite, unlike Portland. Not to mention the smaller number of them. It's amazing how the downtown doesn't smell like urine/human feces and is not infested with gangs, drug dealers, junkies, mentally disturbed people and homeless people on every street corner.

That is not to say downtown Portland is bad compaerd to other cities, but downtown Boise is just so wonderful. In some ways it is not fair to compare downtown Boise to Portland, as Portland's downtown is huge and has its very upscale spots and its very lowly, dingy spots. However, I'm truly impressed by this little city of Boise.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,672,521 times
Boise's population is a fraction of what Portland's is.
Boise's downtown is, really, about 6 blocks big, concentrated in 3 (betweeen 9th and 6th); Portland's is what... 30 or more?

You're right it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Don't pizz off the cops here though. Serious.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times
Downtown Boise is awesome MysticalDream. Good to hear you are enjoying it no matter how large or small it may seem. I think one of downtowns greatest strengths is the walkability and density and what there is to do at streetlevel and the variety of places to hang out and shop. Have you been to the Saturday Market yet?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 AM

405 posts, read 1,276,348 times
I haven't been to the Saturday Market yet Syringaloid, but I would love to go this Saturday. Where is the location of the Saturday Market? Well, I guess I can google it.. I was wondering what I would do this Saturday, but that sounds like a nice event to attend. Also, I am very big into health food, organic veggies and juicing, etc. I was a bit disappointed with the selection at Boise Co-Op, considering that most of their produce is imported from California. I know there is a lot of farming in the Treasure Valley, so if anyone can tell me some good Farmer's Markets where I can obtain good quality, organic/natural local produce, I would really like to know.

However, I will say I have been jonesing to go back up and hike those mighty Sawtooth Mountains. I fell in love with those mountains on my last trip and look forward to doing some trekking again. Also, I am so eager to see what they look like with snow.

BTW.. THe weather is awesome! Back in Portland it is cold and rainy, but Boise has been like 70F and sunny every day I've been here, except for my moving day where it poured rain, of course.

Boisefan, I will say there is a ton of cops in this town. Although I am happy that they help keep the place safe, it is still a bit nervewracking, even for a law-abiding citizen as myself. Basically, I never like police cars following behind my car, as I fear getting a TICKET. I definitely have to watch my speed limit on the roads around here. In Portland you can go for miles without seeing a cop. And, most cops in Portland are too worried about gangbangers, drug-dealers and loonies to care about you. I'm thinking in Boise, they have more time on their hands.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 10-14-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
I haven't been to the Saturday Market yet Syringaloid, but I would love to go this Saturday. Where is the location of the Saturday Market? Well, I guess I can google it.. I was wondering what I would do this Saturday, but that sounds like a nice event to attend. Also, I am very big into health food, organic veggies and juicing, etc. I was a bit disappointed with the selection at Boise Co-Op, considering that most of their produce is imported from California. I know there is a lot of farming in the Treasure Valley, so if anyone can tell me some good Farmer's Markets where I can obtain good quality, organic/natural local produce, I would really like to know.
The market is on 8th Street and Idaho Streets. Here's info:
Capital City Public Market - Boise, ID

I was just in the Co-op the other day and saw a lot of really good quality local produce, it does seem to sell quickly so they must bring out the Calif produce after the local stuff sells.
Here is another organic produce market in the Northend.
Brown Box Organics - Neighborhood Market and Produce & Grocery Delivery in the Greater Boise Area

There are actually several farmers markets/stands throughout the valley, the downtown Boise market is by far the largest.

http://idahopreferred.com/_blog/Local_Goodness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area