Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times

Advertisements

I spent a whirlwind four days in your city, seeing everything and anything I could find to get a sense of Boise. First of all, I don't think I have ever been anywhere as friendly as Boise. Who knew? Everyone I spoke with seemed so relaxed, genuine, eager to help and was so darn nice. Even those from the West Coast who migrated to Boise were incredibly friendly. As for LDS, I couldn't tell who was or who wasn't. I guess it's different if you live there. The areas I liked the most were of course the most expensive. Loved Hyde Park, Warm Springs Ave area, and the Northend. I was impressed with Island Woods in Eagle and Combes Park and Bristol Heights in west Boise (more house for your money, decent schools).

From my research there are some really nice neighborhoods in 83704, but the schools don't rate well. Unfortunately, we have to figure out where to live based on the better rated schools. I saw a lot, but I have a feeling that there was so much more to see.

The downtown/ city of Boise was wonderful. Loved the Farmer's Mkt, and the whole general ambiance/vibe. A great assortment of independant cafes, restaurants and shops. I wouldn't miss NYC in terms of restaurants, and that's saying a lot. A very nice library. Not the fanciest I have seen, but must more than adequate and a huge children's room/selection. Loved the parks I saw. The foothills were very pretty, but smaller than I expected. The city was very green, the foothills were brown. I loved almost everything, except for the sprawl surrounding downtown. Lots of driving, but that's everywhere these days.

I think we could live happily in Boise: great people, clean, pretty, some nice neighborhoods to choose from. great outdoors opportunities, good schools, etc. What I loved the most was that I felt so safe. I don't think I ran into one homeless person, one creepy looking person, one druggie or one psychotic person. Not saying they don't exist, but compared to NYC, I felt like I was in Shangri La. Hope this was helpful. PS- We are democrats, non-practicing protestants, liberal, but not really granola-ish, modern parents, educated and down to earth. I think Boise would be a good fit. I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 PM

88 posts, read 327,465 times
Hey gimmie it! I loved your review and it is oh, so true, especially about the North End and 8th street aera! I am a former NY-er too, currently in El Paso, TX and moving to Boise in only 2 weeks. We are bidding on a place in Eagle (top schools, can walk or bike kids to top rated elem, nice little mainstreet downtown with outdoor unique restaurants and river access). Did you get a chance to look up there?

Good luck with your move!

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post

What I loved the most was that I felt so safe. I don't think I ran into one homeless person, one creepy looking person, one druggie or one psychotic person. .
That's because I haven't moved there Yet

Great review..

Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
glad you liked it...
boise really is a hidden gem...

Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 PM

43 posts, read 133,247 times
Agreed!

My husband and I currently live in the 'burbs of SLC due to his job in the Air Force. We really dislike it here...

We went up to Boise for a few days and LOVED the cute downtown, normal bars, a variety of non-chain stores, and great food.

We also went to a few wineries and loved the scenery.

Sadly, we can't move where we choose to right now, but it's amazing what a great town it was - especially next to any place in Utah!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,902 times
Great review Gimme! Right on the money.

AND JFBD ... welcome to Eagle.
We love it here, too. I hope you got the price you wanted on your house.
Will you be here in time for Eagle Fun Days? It's a great time, so fill up your water gun, wear some shorts and get ready for some fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbd6805 View Post
Hey gimmie it! I loved your review and it is oh, so true, especially about the North End and 8th street aera! I am a former NY-er too, currently in El Paso, TX and moving to Boise in only 2 weeks. We are bidding on a place in Eagle (top schools, can walk or bike kids to top rated elem, nice little mainstreet downtown with outdoor unique restaurants and river access). Did you get a chance to look up there?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbd6805 View Post

Hi,
Yes, I looked around Eagle. It was very upscale, manicured and clean. I loved, Island Woods. What neighborhood did you like best?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Gimmie it - we loved Brookwood. We liked Island Woods, etc. but we didn't like the houses that were in our price range and I really want to be able to walk the kids to school when they are little so Brookwood fit the bill for that.

AlleyTD - looks like we go the house!!! The MLS showed pending last night but we haven't got the official word from our realtor yet. I am sooooo excited! Will have to look up when Eagle Fun Days is! We can't wait!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM

306 posts, read 1,247,902 times
We are in Brookwood!
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Eagle fun days are June 12 and 13

Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Hey neighbor! (Hopefully!). We will miss the Fun Days this year. We arrive end June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: