Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
^^^^^
So Portland has worse unemployment...so that means Boise is in a great situation? Besides we're talking less than one percantage point now between Boise and Portland.

The post just noted the unemployment rate in Boise. It never started out as, "Boise is better" or "Boise is worse." Looking at numbers for unemployment AND foreclosures the Boise Area has much worse numbers that are still likely to grow. MAJOR layoffs would have to occur in SLC for the rate to get anywhere near Boise's. SLC is much larger than Boise so a Micron-size company shutting down will be bad but not like it would be in Boise. Maybe I'm wrong and the church will shut down and SLC unemployment will be 15%. I don't like SLC and I wouldn't live there so this isn't a "Boise sucks" thread. Just reality.
boi2socal, you read way too much into certain posts.
Washington unemployment rates were brought up previously by the moderator so I thought I would include other Northwest cities and Oregon in the stats. Also, major layoffs would not have to happen in SLC to reach the level we are at currently because several smaller and medium size companies in SLC area are scaling back and laying off and cutting hours. Several friends of mine who work for what was thought as stable companies down there have lost their jobs. I don't think anyone was making this a we are better than you thread until you made your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:49 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
^^^^^

Ummm....he didn't say "Boise is better than Portland"...I thought we were all just discussing the rates in the area. However, if a person lives in Portland and is thinking of relocating to Boise, THEN IT IS PERTINENT DATA to that person (either positive or negative). So let's keep that in mind folks...

He didn’t say that explicitly, but at the same time, this thread had nothing to do with the unemployment rates of anywhere else but Boise, Idaho. No other comments, no other comparisons. It would be assumed that someone looking from elsewhere would be aware of their respective unemployment rate.

If we wanted to follow this logic, should we not include an unemployment figure for EVERY place that a person may be potentially relocating from? Why just Portland, Spokane, and Washington state?

Also, the poster referenced Portland in what seems to be an obvious comparison: “check out Portland…” and then noted the higher unemployment rates. As if the compare those with Boise's.

And when another poster cited Salt Lake City's (another “northwest city”) much lower rate, the poster responded rather harshly saying “why don’t you move there then” and then tried to build a case as to why SLC’s economy is going to somehow fall down the tubes overnight.

While “we are better than X” wasn’t explicitly articulated, I certainly read into that way, as did at least two other posters. Otherwise, why the need to inject selective comparison in disregard to the simple message of the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Washington unemployment rates were brought up previously by the moderator so I thought I would include other Northwest cities and Oregon in the stats...I don't think anyone was making this a we are better than you thread until you made your statement.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:02 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Washington unemployment rates were brought up previously by the moderator so I thought I would include other Northwest cities and Oregon in the stats. Also, major layoffs would not have to happen in SLC to reach the level we are at currently because several smaller and medium size companies in SLC area are scaling back and laying off and cutting hours. Several friends of mine who work for what was thought as stable companies down there have lost their jobs. I don't think anyone was making this a we are better than you thread until you made your statement.
I'm not going to argue or speculate what is happening or will happen in SLC.

Lets say John is 300 pounds and Joe is 350 pounds...someone says, "John is 300 pounds." And I reply, "Well, look at Joe! He's 350 pounds." Sort of sounds like I'm saying John is better, right? Guess it doesn't matter. They're both overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area