Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,602 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Mountain Home, Idaho and wondered if someone could tell me about employment opportunities (how to gain employment at Mountain Home Air Force Base)
and rentals available. Would also like to know about crime rate and annual weather (snow amounts, rain, etc).
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 PM

215 posts, read 789,124 times
you might want to try militaryavenue.com they have information for people relocating to different air force bases, also try the mountain home city website. Its a small town mainly air force people and their families, about 40 minutes from Boise. They get lots more snow there than in Boise. As for rentals, you might actually look into buying as the housing market there is extremely slow and home prices are at a point where its cheaper to buy.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 16,693 times
I am originally from Idaho and lived in Mountain Home for five years. I commuted to Boise daily for my job and although the miles were long, the commute time was comparable with those who lived in Eagle/Nampa and worked in Boise.

As for obtaining employment on the base, you will need to go to USA jobs, or you can contact the Idaho department of labor to see if they have any contacts with contractors in the area. Mountain Home is a great place, I, again, was raised in Idaho, lived in other places and prefer this area over my home roots of Northern Idaho.

The strectch of I-84 from Mountain Home to Boise is one of the most dangerous stretches in the US, the winter months plan on unpredictable snow fall, ice and up to three hours to commute. Because it is locked in and snow comes in and out easily, one day you will have a clear day the next day you will wake to snow.

Housing is relatively cheap- again, many people choose Mountain Home to live in, and commute to Boise for work due to housing prices. We sold our home in Mountain Home with having only 60 days on the market once we moved- it is a busy place due to the base, and you will find that people are very friendly.

Crime is low. Schools are better in Boise, but they are not bad in comparison to other places- Mountain Home has its challenges with schools mainly because of a military town- lots of kids coming and going, but you do have locals and longevity of those who have been born and raised there and are now raising their children. population of the city is about 12,000 and there are many newer neighborhoods.

A good real estate company is First Class Real Estate- they are local and have rentals, and available homes to view for buying.

You'll find the area quite nice if you are able to withstand the weather.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Be prepared for wind.

And lots of it.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforcewifefromidaho View Post

The strectch of I-84 from Mountain Home to Boise is one of the most dangerous stretches in the US, the winter months plan on unpredictable snow fall, ice and up to three hours to commute. Because it is locked in and snow comes in and out easily, one day you will have a clear day the next day you will wake to snow.
I'm glad someone else realizes this - it really is, and nobody says anything!

Remember last year when the eastbound right side lane had ruts almost two feet deep? The trucks wouldn't drive in them, so you had everyone driving in the left lane, except for out of state drivers who didn't know any better, and were tossed around because of the ruts?

What a nightmare.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,496 times
I have been driving I84 from mountain home to boise it takes me 40 minutes from my house to work which I think is an easy drive. I have lived in LA and think that the drive here is quite easy. For the snow it is very bad and the ice is scary, you get used to it and drive extremely slow. I84 right now only has 1 lane each way for 13 miles because they are fixing the terrible ruts in the road so that does slow the traffic down they are suppose to be done in October. I am so grateful to be out of California that the drive on I84 is heaven and my life in Mountain Home is the same. If you want to live in a quiet place Mountain home is it. If you want to alot of entertainment, restaurants etc., don't move to mountain home you will not find it. IF you wnat low crime well this is the place. And the wind well I have seen it alot worse in the Mojave desert than here. What they say is windy here I think it is a breeze. You know that everything is relative to where you came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area