Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 12:29 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,451 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere - that there is now 600,000 people in Boise -
what is the land area? is it really crowded there - I come from Az and in Gilbert and Mesa AZ combined we are close to 700,000 and it is really crowded. line ups at traffic lights, what should take 15 minutes in the car takes twice the time....
Please help because my mind was so set on moving to Boise or Meridian area this summer
Also - I am reading on some of these threads - that you have gangs and meth, drug problems - I know these are everywhere - would you say - they a re prevalent? Am I going to be afraid to be out at night? send my son on his bike at 13 to the store? Take a walk in the park or ride our bikes in the bike paths?
Don't mean to sound so paranoid - but here - it is any every day occurance of seeing drugs, guns going off, robberies and home breakins, molesters, - trying to find some peace for my family and myself - before I am a pile of dust in 30 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 12:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
There are about 562,000 in Boise and the Metro area, not just Boise alone. There have been some gang issues in parts of Nampa and Caldwell. You will feel quite safe here. I don't know what it is about Boise, but it is very family oriented and you will have no fear taking your kids to the park or on a bike ride down many of the beautiful bike paths. You're going to have crime anywhere you go, don't let that scare you off.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:59 PM

140 posts, read 491,342 times
No, there are'nt that may people in Boise. Being from Northern California, I am not an expert on the subject, but like you, We plan to move up there this summer.
We visited the Boise area last summer and this spring. I was very impressed. My 13 year old daughter really liked it too. We were all over Boise, Meridian, Eagle and Star. We even drove out to Kuna and up to McCall.
If you look around these threads, many of you're questions will be answered. I have been doing my research for over a year now and hope to be up there soon. (I just got an offer on my house. it took 6 months to sell)
As far as the population of the area, I believe Ada and Canyon county combined is around 550,000 people. Boise itself is over 200,00. I also believe that area contains nearly half the state poulation. You can also find info by just googling Idaho or Boise. I look at the Idaho Statesman website frequently. (thats their paper)
There was a little traffic but compared to where we live, it was'nt too bad. They are doing lots of road work right now. I live in the North Bay and my sister lives in Tempe AZ. The traffic in Boise could not hold a candle to either spot although it was kinda busy during rush hour.
I think crime is a lot lower than either CA or AZ but, like anyplace else, they have problems. The Treasure Valley is growing fast. Overall, it seems like a great place and I can't wait to get there. You should definately go visit first and see what you think for yourself.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:55 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
The greater Boise Metro area is over 600,000 and growing, and the city is over 200,000. Boise is a really pleasant city and is, a very safe city. There is crime of course but Boise's crime is pretty low for a city this size. Issues like gangs and meth make big news here because the area is so mellow that any bad news makes big news because it is so unexpected here. In a nutshell, Boise and the area do have some issues with crime, drugs, but what city large or small does not? But I guarantee that the crime rate here is low and does not even compare to other similar sized cities. I did a lot of research about this issue before moving here.

Like mentioned in another post, the area is very family oriented, very clean and tidy, and a lot of people really respect and watch out for each other.
I feel perfectly safe walking around downtown Boise at night and If I had children that were teens, I would not have any issues either with them hanging out downtown. The current mayor is on a mission to make Boise the most livable city in the nation and it is already there in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:50 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,451 times
Default az to boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Carl View Post
No, there are'nt that may people in Boise. Being from Northern California, I am not an expert on the subject, but like you, We plan to move up there this summer.
We visited the Boise area last summer and this spring. I was very impressed. My 13 year old daughter really liked it too. We were all over Boise, Meridian, Eagle and Star. We even drove out to Kuna and up to McCall.
If you look around these threads, many of you're questions will be answered. I have been doing my research for over a year now and hope to be up there soon. (I just got an offer on my house. it took 6 months to sell)
As far as the population of the area, I believe Ada and Canyon county combined is around 550,000 people. Boise itself is over 200,00. I also believe that area contains nearly half the state poulation. You can also find info by just googling Idaho or Boise. I look at the Idaho Statesman website frequently. (thats their paper)
There was a little traffic but compared to where we live, it was'nt too bad. They are doing lots of road work right now. I live in the North Bay and my sister lives in Tempe AZ. The traffic in Boise could not hold a candle to either spot although it was kinda busy during rush hour.
I think crime is a lot lower than either CA or AZ but, like anyplace else, they have problems. The Treasure Valley is growing fast. Overall, it seems like a great place and I can't wait to get there. You should definately go visit first and see what you think for yourself.
CAlifornia CArl - thanks so much - my wife and son are a bit nervous - we live real close to Tempe and just have had it with all the population and not much to do outside and the heat - need to see some green, relax a bit GLad to hear you liked it when you visited - we are hoping to visit for about a week and it sounds like do what you did = travel around to all the outlining areas - Meridian and West and SW Boise (from reading) seem to attract me the most
I understand Meridan has a small town atmosphere with a downtown
We have been on the market here for 4 mos - congratulations on selling
hope to see you in Boise?
Couple of questions though - even though it was desert like did you feel like it was cleaner air, a bit of farmland, greener pastures!! a few trees

Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM

140 posts, read 491,342 times
Default Leaving Arizona

Yah, I would say that it had a bit of a high desert feel to it and the valley itself is pretty flat. Although, there were some farms left scattered around the outskirts and there were some trees.
We were up there in August and got to feel the heat (nothing for a sun devil fan) and again in February and it snowed (we went skiing at Bogus Basin) The area is really nice. We liked all the places I mentioned they all have something to offer. The parks were very clean and well cared for, we did'nt see any graffiti and never heard a siren or saw a wreck.
You can see the mountains from all over the valley and the air was ok. We were up there during some very bad fires and the smoke was everwhere. That was a bummer but a little unusual I think. I think you will like it, but go check it out! Good Luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 35,540 times
Quote:
There are about 562,000 in Boise and the Metro area, not just Boise alone.
Funny, considering if you add up the numbers from the idaho page of this website, the Treasure Valley houses about 350,000 people. About 200k short of what you stated. Is it crowded? no, is it like when I was a kid? NO. There are alot worse places to live thats for sure.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:28 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candkr View Post
Funny, considering if you add up the numbers from the idaho page of this website, the Treasure Valley houses about 350,000 people. About 200k short of what you stated. Is it crowded? no, is it like when I was a kid? NO. There are alot worse places to live thats for sure.
Boise Metro area to me includes Ada and Canyon County combined. If you look at the stats from Chamber of Commerce and add the population of both counties together, according to Boise Chamber of Commerce the population total is 559,095. These were the stats for 2006 to be exact so I'm sure it is more than that by now, which makes the 562,000 more of a reality. These are the stats they have listed in their 2007 Relocation packages.

If you want to be technically correct, Chamber of Commerce considers the Boise Metro area to include Ada, Boise, Canyon, Gem and Owyhee Counties for a population total of 593,418 for 2006!

Ada County alone, which covers Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Garden City and Other as the Chamber classifies it, totals 383,314 for 2006.

Hope that clears the totals a bit better for you.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:08 AM

4 posts, read 67,081 times
Yeah, about a half million people live in the metro area...I've been in Boise my entire life, and yeah it is safe, safer than most cities I've experienced first hand. Traffic is bad during rush hours, but fairly smooth otherwise, Nampa and Caldwell have an emerging gang problem the last several years, and sometimes spills over into the Boise area a bit, which I have experienced personally, being that I am a 20-something white male. Overall, Boise is a great city, albeit experiencing its share of growing pains. Feel free to move here, everyone does!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,425 times
I live in Nampa idaho and I wouldn't change that for anything my daughter school is right down the road and I live in a pretty safe neibor hood in idaho everybody know everyone and it doesn't matter what neibor hood live in idaho every one looks out for each other and there so friendly here people you don't even know will say hi to and I would say a lot of people live in idaho
But it doesn't see like it because there is so much open land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area