Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 AM

7 posts, read 17,015 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for relocation advice please! I'm a 30, newly divorced professional woman looking to relocate to Boise from Missoula, MT. I love the outdoors, being a trailrunner and mountain biker. But, I'm concerned that Boise's social scene may be limited. Is Boise a welcoming place for someone like me: young, liberal, single, working professional? Is it fairly easy to make friends with like-minded people? I have no qualms with religion or family-focused communities, but I'm looking for a place that's welcoming for singles and liberals. I'm not huge on the bar/party scene, but I appreciate live music, good restaurants and cultural events. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Nah, we're all old conservative cranks who hate the outdoors, trail running, and especially mountain bikers, don't even get me started.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Why would you choose to move to one of those most conservative and strongly Christian (of one faction or another) states in the country if you're a non-religious liberal? Don't you think you'd be happier moving someplace packed with like minded people? Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Boston...any number of other cities would seem to be a much better fit.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Sometimes there are maps of areas that show how people voted, right down to the street level.

That might help. But I agree, it is tough to move into an area where people don't understand your viewpoint. At all.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why would you choose to move to one of those most conservative and strongly Christian (of one faction or another) states in the country if you're a non-religious liberal? Don't you think you'd be happier moving someplace packed with like minded people? Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Boston...any number of other cities would seem to be a much better fit.
Isnt the Northern Idaho one of the least religious places in the country (conservatives and all)?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 AM

12 posts, read 70,864 times
You would certainly have better luck in the Northend of Boise. It is a lot of young, professional, liberal folk and it is historic and beautiful! It would still be easy to get disheartened with the way this state is, but there is no better place for you in Boise if you would like to easily meet like-minded people!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 17,015 times
Thanks for your feedback - it is much appreciated! I have no problem with others of different viewpoints, but it's nice to live in an area where a person can also feel comfortable with their own lifestyle and connect to like-minded people. I'm sure Boise is a wonderful city - and it fits my need for an outdoor lifestyle - I'm just not sure that it's socially the right place for me right now.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM

93 posts, read 313,454 times
As a single, liberal, young-ish working professional, I don't think that Boise is on the same level as Seattle or Portland. I am originally from Seattle, and lived in Atlanta and New York. I really like being active in this great summer weather and all the things there are to do around here year-round. But I don't feel the same connection with the people I've met here as I did when I lived in any of the other cities I lived in. I love the cost of living, access to fresh fruits and veggies, the 'niceness' of the people, and the weather, and I don't think I would trade that for living in a bigger city with rude people and a higher cost of living just so I could work with people who vote Democrat.

HowellMorgan: Not saying that this is what you said, this is just my viewpoint and the things I've been thinking about since I moved here. Since I'm relatively new (coming up on a year), I am giving myself time to be more social and meet more people who have the same liberal views that I do. I have to say, I miss my friends from all the places that I've lived, but I really enjoy where I'm at right now.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:07 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newspud View Post
As a single, liberal, young-ish working professional, I don't think that Boise is on the same level as Seattle or Portland. I am originally from Seattle, and lived in Atlanta and New York. I really like being active in this great summer weather and all the things there are to do around here year-round. But I don't feel the same connection with the people I've met here as I did when I lived in any of the other cities I lived in. I love the cost of living, access to fresh fruits and veggies, the 'niceness' of the people, and the weather, and I don't think I would trade that for living in a bigger city with rude people and a higher cost of living just so I could work with people who vote Democrat.

HowellMorgan: Not saying that this is what you said, this is just my viewpoint and the things I've been thinking about since I moved here. Since I'm relatively new (coming up on a year), I am giving myself time to be more social and meet more people who have the same liberal views that I do. I have to say, I miss my friends from all the places that I've lived, but I really enjoy where I'm at right now.
This is the common complaint with Boise - it's hard to meet people because of the infamous Northwest "reserve." Its mostly that a) people like being left alone, often because they move here to "get away" from people, b) people are usually active doing their own thing, or c) there is at least the perception of the above, real or not.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellMorgan View Post
Hi, I'm looking for relocation advice please! I'm a 30, newly divorced professional woman looking to relocate to Boise from Missoula, MT. I love the outdoors, being a trailrunner and mountain biker. But, I'm concerned that Boise's social scene may be limited. Is Boise a welcoming place for someone like me: young, liberal, single, working professional? Is it fairly easy to make friends with like-minded people? I have no qualms with religion or family-focused communities, but I'm looking for a place that's welcoming for singles and liberals. I'm not huge on the bar/party scene, but I appreciate live music, good restaurants and cultural events. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
PM me if you wish HowellMorgan.
I can give you some great insight on the scene in Boise and an opinion about and where to meet like minded people in the city of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: