Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 AM

107 posts, read 278,333 times

Advertisements

So here is the thing, we moved from Oregon in March of 2008 due to lack of work for my hubby, he does HVAC install work. Moved to Texas for a great job opportunity but it's not so great after all... Texas is breaking us and the weather is horrible and the people...no need for bad karma...anyway.
We have been looking back north, the people are great and the weather nicer but there seems to still be a lack of employment. But, I landed in Boise, Idaho Falls as it seemed it has more outdoor activities that we seek.
Actually studying Boise right now, would want to live (rent) on the outskirts of town, and work in Boise or surrounding areas....I have us on carrer builder and my hubby on hvacagent...they have sent some resume's but I fear it's a case of we are here and NOT there....

You would not believe how desperate we are to move from Texas.
We have a 5 year old also and schools are important.
Can anyone help????? Know of anyone hiring for HVAC??
Or I can do office work, admin. billing/collection I have dispatched for an alarm company before and done retail, as well as Vet tech and sales.

What newspaper should I be looking at, perhaps I need to get a subsription.
It's hard as a lot of you know, too broke to move but too broke not too!

Can you help???? Suggestions?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 PM

96 posts, read 619,524 times
Try the Idaho Department of Labor website,there was four HVAC jobs listed in Boise,and two in Caldwell.Overall,though the job market is very tight here(like it is everywhere)Too many people chasing what few jobs there are.The Idaho Statesman is the local newspaper,but not much has been listed in there for a long time.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,677,174 times
Gosh, good luck.

I thought things were getting better, but just had two friends laid off this last week - one in television, the other in construction.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:44 PM

43 posts, read 107,192 times
Idaho Department of Labor > Home
craigslist: boise classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Treasure Valley Jobs - BoiseIdahoJobs.com: Jobs in Treasure Valley and Careers in Treasure Valley -
Job list for the entire Boise Region
Boise Jobs-Boise Local Help Wanted ads-FREE Video Resumes- FREE Job Search Engine for the Boise Area-Free Job Forum This site has some interesting info on Boise. Its a little outdated, but still interesting. The job seekers link is at the bottom of the page.
[MOD CUT]

I hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 08-28-2009 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: Website promotion not allowed

Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM

107 posts, read 278,333 times
that is terrible about the job cuts! thx gwin13, those are very helpful! So is it just because the economy is in a slump? Does Boise usually have a good job structure?

Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,027,076 times
In a pinch you could also try registering with temp services, (Manpower, Volt etc.). Those temp companies saved my butt more than once.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:36 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,677,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage44 View Post
Does Boise usually have a good job structure?
No, it really doesn't, and really never has. Historically Boise has had a specific niche industry beyond the typical services, retail, and manufacturing. It was previously ag and timber related industry, but in the past 15 years it's been centered on tech - Micron, HP, etc., were the leading employers, along with government agencies. Real Estate related industry - realtors, lending, constuction, were also quite strong.

If you weren't in tech or real estate, it's always been hard to find a job unless you knew somebody or were willing to work below your experience level.

But in the past 5 years Micron, HP, and MPC have all but shut down and moved out. Same with Albertsons and Boise Cascade. With the current housing market real estate and construction are impossible to find emplyoment in. Now what's left is a purely retails, manufacturing, and call center industry, with a extremely tight white collar sector (banking, law, etc.). Teaching is also tight.

I have heard that nursing and medical/hr related employment is growing, though I don't know how competitive it is.

Point being, Boise has always been tough, and while we haven't been hit as hard as some places, it's just made it tougher. Expect 100+ applicants for each opening, plus more for online advertised jobs.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM

96 posts, read 619,524 times
The pay scale in Boise has always been very lowball,especially in manufacturing.The argument always was that the lower pay corresponded to a lower cost of living.Don't think that is true anymore,and honestly don't think it ever has been.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:55 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,631,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage44 View Post
that is terrible about the job cuts! thx gwin13, those are very helpful! So is it just because the economy is in a slump? Does Boise usually have a good job structure?
Just trying to help.
Boise did have one of the best job structures in the U.S. a few years back, but it has been hit hard by the current recession,(like a lot of other places). I'm always reading up on the recession, and the reports say that Oklahoma City and Salt Lake City seem to be weathering out the recession better than most cities. But, I would not move anywhere, unless I had a job lined up. I made this mistake.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM

99 posts, read 345,371 times
Hey! Not all of us in Texas are so bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area