Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 PM

18 posts, read 65,188 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot about Boise from this forum but some things you have to see for yourself. I only had 3 days to explore so I had to limit my time to meridian and boise, Here are my observations. 1. Being a Raider fan I have a natural aversion to the colors blue and orange and especially the word Broncos. That being said I have to compliment the folks in the area for their loyalty to there team. BSU fever is everywhere and it's hard not to catch it. 2. A lesson for other infidels. The locals pronounce Boise how it is spelled. It is not BOYZEE as we have been taught. It is BOY-SEE. 3. Most of the pictures I've seen show a lot of greenery but the surrounding areas are very BROWN. yes it is a desert but I was a little suprised. 4. I've read and posted about the supposed poor air quality. Although there is a definite haze to the sky the air seemed just fine to me. 5. yes the people were nice with the exception of one Cali hater (but I can't really blame her). 6. The city and roadways seemed well layed out and nothing was too cramed together. The red lights did seem to last forever though. 7. Meridian was awsome. Overall boise does seem like a good place to live although I hope it gets green,white or any other color once in a while. Also I really wanted to see nampa/caldwell for myself but when most locals tell you not to waste your time you shouldn't. I hope the powers that be can keep Boise a nice place but if Nampa/caldwell could get out of control what's to stop the spread? I have a job offer in twin falls but can't find much info on it can you help, also emmit possibly. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:06 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,213,144 times
Boise is a great place to live. More often than not, most people who come like what they see. Yes the hills are brown in the summer, but the last two years have been covered in snow for a good duration of winter- it's beautiful.

Some will tell you the air is horrible, but I don't think it's that bad. The worse I saw was when several states were having a horrible fire season. We really got socked in with the smoke that summer.....I believe that was three summers ago; CA, OR, WA and ID all had fires going on, so not much anyone could do about it.

Glad you had a great visit; hopefully now it'll make your decision easier.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,244 times
If you want green Boise is not the place to be, unless you stay in the city - it's very verdant, and almost Southern feeling. But the foothills are brownish yellow, and we are surrounded by desert. It's pretty much that color all year long, though the foothills are highlight by a dusting of snow from November to April, and have a slight greenish brown tint in May and June.

However, during the winter all of the trees lose their leaves and the place looks very, very dead. I particularly enjoy Boise's scenery but I do admit that some months winter months are less than spectacular, and sort of bleak.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,212 times
I live in Twin and came here from Sacramento 15 years ago. PM me if you'd like my perspective.

FWIW, after 15 years, I'm considering a relocation to Boise. We had a weekend home there for three years but the back and forth got to be too much and that wasn't considering the cost of gas as it was much lower then.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,639,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERNDAWG View Post
I have read a lot about Boise from this forum but some things you have to see for yourself. I only had 3 days to explore so I had to limit my time to meridian and boise, Here are my observations. 1. Being a Raider fan I have a natural aversion to the colors blue and orange and especially the word Broncos. That being said I have to compliment the folks in the area for their loyalty to there team. BSU fever is everywhere and it's hard not to catch it. 2. A lesson for other infidels. The locals pronounce Boise how it is spelled. It is not BOYZEE as we have been taught. It is BOY-SEE. 3. Most of the pictures I've seen show a lot of greenery but the surrounding areas are very BROWN. yes it is a desert but I was a little suprised. 4. I've read and posted about the supposed poor air quality. Although there is a definite haze to the sky the air seemed just fine to me. 5. yes the people were nice with the exception of one Cali hater (but I can't really blame her). 6. The city and roadways seemed well layed out and nothing was too cramed together. The red lights did seem to last forever though. 7. Meridian was awsome. Overall Boise does seem like a good place to live although I hope it gets green,white or any other color once in a while. Also I really wanted to see nampa/caldwell for myself but when most locals tell you not to waste your time you shouldn't. I hope the powers that be can keep Boise a nice place but if Nampa/caldwell could get out of control what's to stop the spread? I have a job offer in twin falls but can't find much info on it can you help, also emmit possibly. Thanks

I am a big AZ Cardinal fan, yes everywhwere you go you will see blue and orange and people always talking about Boise State Bronco football, but this is the version of Boise's NFL. So I can understand getting so excited about a college team, when you have no NFL team.
Yes, there is a haze.
Yes, traffic red lights take a long time.
People live in Nampa/Caldwell area for lower cost of housing, than Boise/Meridian. Its all about income, and how much you can afford, to live in a better looking area.
Twin Falls is nice for Shoshone falls , the snake river canyon, and you can drive up 80 miles to beautiful Sunvalley/Ketchum.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:32 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,103,431 times
Glad you enjoyed our fair city. If you liked it now you would really dig it in the Fall, which for my money is the best time of year. We get some beautiful autumn leaf colors. But sorry to say, but them thar hills pretty much stay brown all the time, unless they have some snow frosting on them in the winter. The haze you saw wasn't here five years ago, but is now here to stay I'm afraid. And yes, "haze" is a euphenism for plain old smog.
Boise is indeed Bronco crazy, and if you move here you're gonna have to work on you blue-gold aversion; it's everywhere. Most people are pretty friendly, though you will run into the occasional Cali hater and also see the "Don't Californicate Boise" bumperstickers. But it's nothing too agressive or overt. You'll be fine.
And we'll try not to hold it against you that you're a Raiders fan. At least admitting you have aproblem is the first step in recovery! LOL

Old 08-30-2009, 05:30 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,964 times
The Foothills are beautiful and change colors with each season. In Spring and early Summer they are green and carpeted in wildflowers. If you look up a little higher you will see the evergreen forests which cap the entire length of the foothills where they meet the Boise Ridge above the city of Boise. The Native American Indians who used to call the Boise Valley home thought of the foothills as sacred and there are many sacred burial sites scattered throughout the foothills. There are also ancient human sites and caves and such that date back thousands of years. There is some truly amazing history of human life in the hills above Boise.
The foothills are a unique aspect of the natural surroundings of Boise. If you take the time to explore the foothills you will find a lot of gulches with creeks, some flow year round, some in the Spring and Summer, and all of those gulches have thick coniferous tree cover too. There are certain species of plants and herbs that grow naturally in the Foothills that are not found anywhere else in the world. Amazing numbers of wildlife depend on the foothills for their winter home.

The Boise Foothills are intimate and expansive at the same time. You need to get to know them and not just look at them and make judgements. They are the gateway to some of the most heavily forested areas of the entire Western US. Boise has great access to grand desert scenery and alpine scenery. People who love and appreciate both types of ecosystems will find Boise offers some of the best of both worlds.

Boise is proabably the greenest city in the arid Mountain West/Rocky Mountain states. I guess to fully appreciate it you have to become part of the city and enjoy Boise for what sets it apart: the thick tree coverage, the river, the enviable greenbelt, downtown, the acres upon acres of lush city parks, the trees, and by the way did I mention the trees?

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 08-30-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The Foothills are beautiful and change colors with each season. In Spring and early Summer they are green and carpeted in wildflowers. If you look up a little higher you will see the evergreen forests which cap the entire length of the foothills where they meet the Boise Ridge above the city of Boise. The Native American Indians who used to call the Boise Valley home thought of the foothills as sacred and there are many sacred burial sites scattered throughout the foothills. There are also ancient human sites and caves and such that date back thousands of years. There is some truly amazing history of human life in the hills above Boise.
The foothills are a unique aspect of the natural surroundings of Boise. If you take the time to explore the foothills you will find a lot of gulches with creeks, some flow year round, some in the Spring and Summer, and all of those gulches have thick coniferous tree cover too. There are certain species of plants and herbs that grow naturally in the Foothills that are not found anywhere else in the world. Amazing numbers of wildlife depend on the foothills for their winter home.

The Boise Foothills are intimate and expansive at the same time. You need to get to know them and not just look at them and make judgements. They are the gateway to some of the most heavily forested areas of the entire Western US. Boise has great access to grand desert scenery and alpine scenery. People who love and appreciate both types of ecosystems will find Boise offers some of the best of both worlds.

I agree wholeheartedly. Great description.

The foothills and the surrounding desert have an absolutely amazing history and beauty, and thankfully so many people are just initially turned off by how scarce and empty it looks.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM

18 posts, read 65,188 times
Default part 2

I had to cut my thread short last time so I may have came off as a little negative about the scenery. Yes I was a little taken back but I understand it is summer. Someone metioned "alpine setting" and gateway to a forest, how close and how would one get there. One thing that stood out to us was the cleanliness of the city especially the parks. Also it semmed that most people we saw were leading an active healthy lifestyle. There weren't a lot of cig butts on the ground or grafiti in the restrooms. I did have another question though. Is there a place to get to the water in the park downtown. We went to the zoo, rode the paddleboats and hit the playground but couldn't find river access.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,639,402 times
For a close drive from Boise try Bogus Basin.
Bogus is accessed by Bogus Basin Road from Harrison Blvd., which twists 16 miles from the Boise city limits to the ski area, only 10 miles NNE as the crow flies.
The two-lane road turns 172 times, and gains 3400 feet in elevation, as the terrain changes from dry sagebrush foothills to mountain forest.
Farther up and more alpine looking, drive 130 miles up to Stanley (on state 21) to view the Sawtooth Mountain Range. Nicknamed the "American Alps". They are my favorite mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area