Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,156 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the various builders in Boise? My husband and I moved here a couple of months ago and have heard negative things about several. I am mostly interested in the quality of the important things, ie insulation, siding, plumbing, wiring, roofing, etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 03:32 PM

171 posts, read 1,052,024 times
What type of builder are you looking for? Custom, semi-custom, spec house?

Old 04-06-2007, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,156 times
This is our first home so we are looking for something under $250K. Obviously custom would be nice, but mostly my concern is there seem to be so many new developments going in. I don't want to buy in development that looks good now, but will be falling apart in 2 years!

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 29,536 times
Corey Barton Homes are cheaply built. They are also a hassle to deal with. Avoid them at all cost.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:29 PM

24 posts, read 74,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by may0506 View Post
Can anyone tell me about the various builders in Boise? My husband and I moved here a couple of months ago and have heard negative things about several. I am mostly interested in the quality of the important things, ie insulation, siding, plumbing, wiring, roofing, etc.

Thanks so much!
hi. i live in emmett and bought a Haun home... I have not had much luck in getting things fixed... I think the quality is one step up from corey barton and hubble, but that's not saying much... I don't know of anyone to recommend but I would keep researching because the laws here aren't the greatest on forcing builders to finish what they start... and get everything in writing i didn't and am paying for it now..keep in mind they just were required to get a license last year. oh is called Haun Group Homes to be exact.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 35,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by may0506 View Post

Thanks so much!
Try D.R. Horton. They have houses in your price range, from 1950 to 2300 sq ft. Message me if you want more info. And they are definatly way above CBH standards of craftsmanship

Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 AM

306 posts, read 1,247,592 times
We are looking to relocate to Boise, too. We've been up there twice house hunting. Two different Realtors echoed what dooleythecat said above regarding Hubble Homes. They start out nice enough but quickly becomes very slum like. I found it interesting that they even have a little saying "Hubble equals Trouble"

Old 04-23-2007, 02:31 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,592 times
I know exactly the south Boise Hubble developement you are talking about. They even built a new elementary school there. Its sad to know that happens because right now that developement (off Lake Hazel Rd) is so shiny and new with the "illusion" of beautiful promise.

My friends have a custom home just north of there ... do the crime stats usually end up seeping into the immediate area or does it seem to remain with the housing complex?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,556 times
so many people are talking about there building falling aparts, which makes me
such a shame for those builders.
As a general contractor,almost 10 years,I built a few new houses and repaired hundreds problem houses,in my experience,there are three major things would cause house damaged or falling aparts.
1. filling land would easily cause foundation sancken or cracked .
2. manufactury made home would very easy fall aparts, because pannels weren't build together very well.
3.heavy snow would cause major structures lossing or disconnecting.

currently, i am going to finish last house in seattle in one month,then i would move to boise and start my business there .
anybody has any question,please drop a line here ,i would be glad to answer whatever I could.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:47 PM

19 posts, read 84,820 times
Default residential building in ID

I have been doing a fair amount of research into this myself over the last year or so. The problem is that ID doesn't have the strict licensing and skill requirements that some neighboring states have.
Now before I get flamed, I realize that ID is a small govt minded state, and people should have opportunity, etc. I'm not hating on anyone, just stating my observation...
The issue is, everyone and their brother is a homebuilder and I would bet most couldn't pass the CA or NV licensing tests, let alone build to the expectations of the average consumer. Quality homebuilding comes with a price that many people balk at. No matter what state I have built in, (4 so far), I find that to be the case.
The only companies you can hope to have consistency with are prominent national builders who, up until recently, haven't graced ID or UT much with their presence; but that requires living in a neighborhood on a postage stamp lot.
Ultimately, it all comes down to your expectations of your builder.
I would ask any potential custom builder for a list of their clients over the duration of their career. I'd also deliberately ask for dissatisfied as well as satisfied clients. (yeah, they probably won't want to tell you that--but why?)
I would look at various ages of homes they've built, and in various price ranges. I would try to speak with the homeowners and ask what the pros and cons are. Also check with the Chamber and the BBB for complaints.
Lastly, I'd talk to realtors who don't have an agenda (to promote one over another). They see alot of homes and may have insights others don't.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: