Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,098,842 times

Advertisements

I was watching channel 24-7 news last night and meteorologist Rick Lantz gave his final stats on Boise's Summer of 2009, being that yesterday was the official first day of Fall.
His summation may suprise some of you, especially those of you who continually praised the moderate heat, and poo-pooed any idea of a warming trend over the years. His opening statement was: "This summer was way above average in terms of daily highs."
From June 21 to Sept 21 we had 55 days over 90 degrees. We also had 17 days that were within 5 degrees of record highs. We had three record overnight "high-lows." Also: thus far September is on track to be the hottest EVER Sept. since we began keeping records. Today will be near record heat. The past two weeks have boasted temps some 10-14 degrees above average for daily highs. How many of you newcomers know that we should have been in the high to mid-70's for the past two weeks?
Something to ruminate over. I sometimes think we have gotten so used to the higher temps that we forget what they "should" be. Like, if we hit a nice, breezy 80 today, people would say, see. it's not that hot. When in reality it would still be a bit higher than normal.
Of course, there is no normal anymore, with the global warming onset.
Perhaps the most telling moment of the broadcast came when Lantz's co-anchor remarked how he loved the September "nice weather" and lantz just looked down and shook his head--with a sad, knowing smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,613 times
Default why the negativity

Curiously, why do you and Boisefan always discuss or bring up all the negatives you can think of about the very place you call home?? I couldn't even imagine the type of person who would hear something negative and then jump on the computer to write about it.....weird. You guys remind me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh! Seriously guys, be happy and stop being so negative about your own hometown.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,098,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
Curiously, why do you and Boisefan always discuss or bring up all the negatives you can think of about the very place you call home?? I couldn't even imagine the type of person who would hear something negative and then jump on the computer to write about it.....weird. You guys remind me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh! Seriously guys, be happy and stop being so negative about your own hometown.
Who's being negative? I am merely sharing with my fellow city data readers an objective weather report that was on TV the other night. I love Boise, and even embrace its faults. It is one of the best places I have ever lived. We have simply bantered in the past over whether or not it seems like it's hotter here than it used to be, and this post tied into that freindly discussion of past threads. This is hardly scorn for our fair city.
You should put things in context just a bit better before insulting me. And perhaps too, you should do so in a direct email to me, rather than in a public post? Just a thought. Oh, another thought: I think I may have a wee problem with a Boise newcomer telling me how to slant my posts.
Peace.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 09-24-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Who's being negative? I am merely sharing with my fellow city data readers an objective weather report that was on TV the other night. I love Boise, and even embrace its faults. It is one of the best places I have ever lived. We have simply bantered in the past over whether or not it seems like it's hotter here than it used to be, and this post tied into that freindly discussion of past threads. This is hardly scorn for our fair city.
You should put things in context just a bit better before insulting me. And perhaps too, you should do so in a direct email to me, rather than in a public post? Just a thought. Oh, another thought: I think I may have a wee problem with a Boise newcomer telling me how to slant my posts.
Peace.
I never intended to come across like I know more about Boise then you....obviously I don't having come from Maui a couple of months ago. It is just so obvious that whenever you write on here you always bring up the worst about the area. It's like taking a perfectly sunny day and picking out the only cloud in the sky....get my point!? It gets old after awhile unless you really do not like Boise in which case, move. That's what we did. We didn't stay on Maui and just trash the place which does nothing for anyone, we just moved. That simple.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,024,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I was watching channel 24-7 news last night and meteorologist Rick Lantz gave his final stats on Boise's Summer of 2009, being that yesterday was the official first day of Fall.
His summation may suprise some of you, especially those of you who continually praised the moderate heat, and poo-pooed any idea of a warming trend over the years. His opening statement was: "This summer was way above average in terms of daily highs."
From June 21 to Sept 21 we had 55 days over 90 degrees. We also had 17 days that were within 5 degrees of record highs. We had three record overnight "high-lows." Also: thus far September is on track to be the hottest EVER Sept. since we began keeping records. Today will be near record heat. The past two weeks have boasted temps some 10-14 degrees above average for daily highs. How many of you newcomers know that we should have been in the high to mid-70's for the past two weeks?
Something to ruminate over. I sometimes think we have gotten so used to the higher temps that we forget what they "should" be. Like, if we hit a nice, breezy 80 today, people would say, see. it's not that hot. When in reality it would still be a bit higher than normal.
Of course, there is no normal anymore, with the global warming onset.
Perhaps the most telling moment of the broadcast came when Lantz's co-anchor remarked how he loved the September "nice weather" and lantz just looked down and shook his head--with a sad, knowing smile.
It looks like cooler weather is coming next week.

As for Global Warming, the globe has been cooling for the last decade despite all the computer models that predicted the opposite. Hopefully, people will continue to wake up to that scam but movements with such a religious fervor die hard.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 PM

43 posts, read 107,394 times
Its funny, I had this conversation with my 86 year old Grandfather the other day. He was telling me that he can remember in his youth when the temp was higher than normal. The summer would have a string of days and weeks of scorching hot weather. Hoter than "normal". He also said that in the 60's 70's & 80's it was colder than "normal". I can atest to the cold weather in the early 80's temps in the single digets in the day and below 0 at night with deep snow (for the treasure vally). In a Popular Science Mag in the 70's it was talking about "Global Cooling". It is the cycle of the earth for the most part...

Old 09-26-2009, 07:28 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,705,940 times
It does seem like it's never "normal". They say the average is 75, but that's compliled from a whole bunch of 60 and 90 degree tempertures over the years. We may not have had the blazing heat streak this summer but it was consistantly a couple degrees above the "normal" most of the time, and when it was below "normal" it wasn't by much. Oh well, at least the state didn't burn down this summer...I may of spoke to soon with the smoke in the valley yesterday but it's seemed to clear rather quickly.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:06 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,496 times
I thought last summer was much hotter than this summer, fwiw.... This summer was great weather wise.

We *plunge* to 62/37 on Thursday....."the party's over...."

Might be time to give the fall/winter stuff a wash..

Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,024,959 times
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOISE ID
509 AM MDT MON SEP 28 2009

IDZ011>016-028>030-ORZ061>064-282100-
WEST CENTRAL MOUNTAINS-LOWER TREASURE VALLEY ID-BOISE MOUNTAINS-
UPPER TREASURE VALLEY-SOUTHWEST HIGHLANDS-WESTERN MAGIC VALLEY-
CAMAS PRAIRIE-OWYHEE MOUNTAINS-SOUTHERN TWIN FALLS COUNTY-
HARNEY COUNTY-BAKER COUNTY-MALHEUR COUNTY-
LOWER TREASURE VALLEY OR-
509 AM MDT MON SEP 28 2009 /409 AM PDT MON SEP 28 2009/
...STRONG FALL SYSTEM APPROACHING WITH MUCH COOLER...WETTER...AND
WINDIER WEATHER...
THE SUMMER-LIKE WEATHER OVER THE AREA WILL COME TO AN ABRUPT END
AS A COLD PACIFIC STORM HEADS INLAND TOMORROW. HIGH TEMPERATURES
IN THE VALLEY WILL DROP FROM NEAR 90 TODAY DOWN INTO THE UPPER 50S
BY WEDNESDAY. ALSO...THERE WILL BE SCATTERED RAIN SHOWERS IN THE
VALLEYS AND NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MOUNTAINS.
WINDS WILL INCREASE LATER TODAY AND STAY ABOVE NORMAL THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AS THE SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH. GUSTS WILL BE STRONG ALONG
RIDGES. TUESDAY WILL BE A DAY OF TRANSITION...AS A POTENT COLD
FRONT PASSES THROUGH THE AREA. THIS WILL USHER IN THE START OF
THE COLD WEATHER.
TEMPERATURES WILL MODERATE SOMEWHAT BY FRIDAY...BUT ANOTHER PACIFIC
STORM IS HEADED OUR WAY FOR THE UPCOMING WEEKEND. THIS APPEARS TO
BE THE START OF A NEW PATTERN...MUCH MORE FALL-LIKE...AND
APPROPRIATE FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR.

---------------

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the change of season.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:56 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,583 times
Default Slightly OT Gwin

Gwin 13 "Its funny, I had this conversation with my 86 year old Grandfather the other day." How wonderful treasure the moments you get to have conversations like this with your grandfather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: