Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times

Advertisements

Alright, So i'm moving in mid January to the Boise or Mountain Home area as I am in the Air Force and will be stationed there.
I am originally from Arizona, but currently reside in the Bay area California. My experience in driving in snow is somewhat minimal only really from going to tahoe a few times last winter and being caught in a sudden storm that closed down the highway.

It seems like january is the month with the highest average snowfall for boise. Should i run into any issues with a midsized uhaul? I am actually going to drop off all my belongings about a week before christmas and then will be in arizona until late january. So I will be making the trip from ca to boise in late december.

Secondly, how is kuna? A few people have told me to consider it as the housing is decent and fairly cheap as well. Also the location could prevent me from dealing with a lot of boise traffic on my daily commute, while not too far from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Alright, So i'm moving in mid January to the Boise or Mountain Home area as I am in the Air Force and will be stationed there.
I am originally from Arizona, but currently reside in the Bay area California. My experience in driving in snow is somewhat minimal only really from going to tahoe a few times last winter and being caught in a sudden storm that closed down the highway.

It seems like january is the month with the highest average snowfall for boise. Should i run into any issues with a midsized uhaul? I am actually going to drop off all my belongings about a week before christmas and then will be in arizona until late january. So I will be making the trip from ca to boise in late december.

Secondly, how is kuna? A few people have told me to consider it as the housing is decent and fairly cheap as well. Also the location could prevent me from dealing with a lot of boise traffic on my daily commute, while not too far from the city.
There are two ways to get to Boise from California, you can go through Vegas and up through Utah, which puts you on Interstate pretty much the entire way. Or, you can go through Nevada and Oregon, which puts you on two lane road a large portion of the way, in the absolute middle of nowhere. Coming from the SF area, I would guess you are going to do the 2nd of those, as it is much shorter, but I'll address both.

Option 1, the freeway. Two things to be aware of driving a moving van on I-84. If it is snowing, the freeway may be closed, so if you are on a timetable, have an alternate route planned if the weather is bad. Better yet, don't be in a hurry. Watch the weather and time your drive for NOT during a winter storm. The reason they close the road in winter storms also makes up item #2, which is the wind. That stretch of road is one of the worst in the nation for drifting snow because of the wind. Even if it isn't snowing, be prepared for possible windy conditions, especially driving a van, with that broad side to catch the gusts. If you see a sign that says "Trucks use left lane" it is there for that reason, and you should comply if there is wind.

Option 2, the Highways. Actually, I've never driven that road in the winter, so I can't comment on that direction, although that would put you probably coming over Donner's Pass, which is bad enough to drive in the summer. Hope they have the construction done by winter or that will be a bear. Other than that, DO NOT drive the section from Winnemucca to Boise at night. Its about 3.5-4 hours for that stretch and it is the blackest black you will ever drive in. There is pretty much nowhere to stop, and you probably wont even have cell service for an emergency.

As for Kuna, housing is cheaper there than in Boise, but as for dealing with traffic, living in Kuna will put you commuting all the way through Boise's freeway to get to Mountain Home. How long of a commute are you looking for? I would guess that would put you at around an hour and half each way during traffic hours, maybe half that at other times of day.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:55 PM

52 posts, read 167,041 times
Why not do base housing? They have TONS of really nice new base housing. Don't know the waiting lists, but really nice housing. No commuting then.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
There are two ways to get to Boise from

As for Kuna, housing is cheaper there than in Boise, but as for dealing with traffic, living in Kuna will put you commuting all the way through Boise's freeway to get to Mountain Home. How long of a commute are you looking for? I would guess that would put you at around an hour and half each way during traffic hours, maybe half that at other times of day.

kuna mora rd goes east straight from kuna to the 84, it keeps me from dealing with boise completely on my drive to work. So i wouldn't be going north to boise then back down.

Am i missing something? It was just a suggestion made by someone i've been in contact with at mountain home.

oh and in response to americanamomma. I live on base now and i am truly not a fan of it. I would prefer to not live on base again. Nor live in a small town if possible. Not crossing it out completely but just kind of looking for other options right now

Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Ooh, I had no idea that Kuna Mora went all the way to the freeway...I just google mapped it and I see that it does. Ok, that's pretty slick then. No idea how heavy that traffic is during rush hour, but I wouldn't think it would be too bad.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:24 PM

You do realize that Kuna's population is only about 1,000 more than mountain home town right? I would consider Kuna a small town.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:59 PM

yes, but it is also say like 40 miles closer to boise than mountain home...thats a big difference

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM

True, can't argue w/ you there

Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 PM

thanks for the ideas though...like i said. I may end up just living on base. But i've still got a few months so who knows really what could happen. I'm trying to explore all options right now. I was doing a lot of research on meridian and boise before and then i got the suggestions of going to kuna

Old 10-02-2009, 09:07 PM

I haven't seen anyone mention the commuter vans. I know they go from Boise to Mtn home AFB. You might want to check into that. It is very cost efficient. A lot of people do those. They have other routes, but unsure what they are. I'm not sure if they have a Kuna route, but was told if you can get 5 people together they will establish one for you. Here is a website: Ada County Highway District ~ Commuteride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area