Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 AM
am2 am2 started this thread

413 posts, read 856,517 times

Advertisements

I am doing research on the growth and change of ameirca. I noted that Boise's population has broken two hundred thousand. Is it the next western hotspot like Phoenix and Vegas was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
I sure hope not...yikes. Right now I still enjoy visiting Boise. I enjoy neither of those towns you mentioned...

Old 10-02-2009, 03:22 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Boise has kind of been a hot spot on a smaller scale for the past decade meaning that the city has started to be discovered and has received a lot of media attention for various reasons ranging from business, quality of life, the outdoors and the mountain biking culture here among other things.
I really hope we never get as large as Phoenix or Vegas and do not think we ever will. A lot of people think that when the economy turns around that Boise along with other smaller western cities like Salt Lake will become the "en vogue" cities.

Besides, Boise already has a much more intact, pedestrian friendly, and dense downtown than either of the two cities you mentioned.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Yes, if it can get its economy back on track. Boise is great at building companies, but even better at selling them off to out-of-state interests

Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Boise is indeed on the fast track to become another example of once-nice towns becoming ruined by a huge influx of Californians, as evidenced by the fact that we've been continually listed in may publications' "Top 10 Fastest Growing Cities" for the past 10 years or so. But the recent economic Depression (I refuse to euphemistically call it a mere recession) has tempered this unbridled sprawl somewhat, and indeed is in my opinion one of the two good things that the depression has spawned--the other being a slight down-tick in home prices, which were absurdly inflated do to the aforementioned growth period.
But Boise is still a pretty nice place to live, though much of its initial charm has been homogenized to the point where it could easily pass as any ol' Northern California town. (Boise, Idafornia?) The air quality, traffic, driving behavior, property taxes, and social politeness have all worsened, but despite these facts I doubt we will ever reach the Armageddon-like proportions of Vegas, Phoenix, or Denver. Geographic boundaries, if nothing else, will help us avoid that, thank God. Too, I believe the major migration trend in the country will always pretty much be a "to the south & west" pattern.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 10-03-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 03:37 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,196 times
Boise has a loooooooong way to go before it is in the same sentence with Vegas or Phoenix. The kind of job losses that Boise experienced are the kinds of jobs that grow communities. I have no idea how/when we'll get them back. There are a lot of *empty* stores and homes all over this town.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
[quote=Jarndyce;11043912]Boise has a loooooooong way to go before it is in the same sentence with Vegas or Phoenix. The kind of job losses that Boise experienced are the kinds of jobs that grow communities. I have no idea how/when we'll get them back. There are a lot of *empty* stores and homes all over this town.[/QUOTE]

There is a lot of what I bolded in almost any city in any state considering the crummy national economy.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
[quote=Syringaloid;11051929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Boise has a loooooooong way to go before it is in the same sentence with Vegas or Phoenix. The kind of job losses that Boise experienced are the kinds of jobs that grow communities. I have no idea how/when we'll get them back. There are a lot of *empty* stores and homes all over this town.[/QUOTE]

There is a lot of what I bolded in almost any city in any state considering the crummy national economy.

About covers it,folks.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise has kind of been a hot spot on a smaller scale for the past decade meaning that the city has started to be discovered and has received a lot of media attention for various reasons ranging from business, quality of life, the outdoors and the mountain biking culture here among other things.
That's amazing! You could almost have also been describing my home, Greenville, SC... Believe it or not. I've heard some folks say that Greenville is like a Souteastern, Appalachian version of Boise... Nearly everything you said about Boise can also apply to Greenville (except we've become more a center of "classic" cycling, hosting the USA Cycling Professional Championship the past few years). I MUST visit soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: