Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,139 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am thinking about taking a job in Boise, and I need some advice to convince my wife to agree to it. We are a non-LDS family with two small children who are just starting in public school, and my wife is a stay-at-home parent. Are there any other families like ours who can comment on the quality of life for a non-LDS stay-at-home mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,705,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshxdr View Post
Hello all. I am thinking about taking a job in Boise, and I need some advice to convince my wife to agree to it. We are a non-LDS family with two small children who are just starting in public school, and my wife is a stay-at-home parent. Are there any other families like ours who can comment on the quality of life for a non-LDS stay-at-home mom?
I would say it's pretty good. It's a very family oriented city and the LDS influence is not a big deal in most areas. Check out Boise Northend and Southeast Boise and you will likely find the kind of community you're looking for. Also, Meridian may be an option along with Eage, but there is a stonger LDS pressence in the burbs' if that's a concern.

*I'm a married non-LDS Boise transplant and its been an easy move.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:49 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,098,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshxdr View Post
I love it how you voice your concern of being a "non-LDS family" in Boise, as if we were as Mormon-controlled as Salt Lake or Provo. (Err, wait a minute, I almost forgot, per capita, we ARE!) Sounds like you've been the beneficiary of some good inside info on Boise's hidden secret as to the covert power of the LDS church here. Good for you.
In reality, though, the fact that you already have employment lined-up is key. The job market is at a 26-year low already, and if one were to factor-in non-LDS discrimination on top of that, well, woe betide his chances at obtaining a living wage job. But you'll be fine; on a social level the LDS influence is not that percpetable here, unless you sort of go looking for it, or be the first to strike-up the conversation.
As far as the kids and schools: while there have been some disturbing trends of the LDSers smearing the boundaries of church-and-state separation--in the form on curricular ministry programs--the kids don't care about religious preferences, and so many teachers are liberal Californians that you won't find any discrimination from them either.
Bottom Line: don't worry about being non-LDS. You can see and feel their influence in Boise if you look for it, but otherwise the town is pretty friendly, and so full of recent emigres you'll fit right in like a duck to BSU's blue turf.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:19 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I.... on a social level the LDS influence is not that percpetable here, unless you sort of go looking for it, or be the first to strike-up the conversation ... Bottom Line: don't worry about being non-LDS. You can see and feel their influence in Boise if you look for it, but otherwise the town is pretty friendly, and so full of recent emigres you'll fit right in like a duck to BSU's blue turf.
ditto on all the above.
I live in Eagle and their are lots of us Stay-at home Mom's ... non-LDS and LDS ... it's a non- issue.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM

93 posts, read 473,208 times
I used to be a midwife in Boise and knew many many families with moms working/mothering at home. Boise is an incredibly family oriented place your wife will meet countless other moms of all kinds from uber liberal, homeschooling, unschooling, "crunchy", conventional, fundamentalist, transplants, etc. Feel free to PM me if I can help more, and she may also want to check out the forums on mothering.com where there are regional sections in which to connect with area mothers.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM

21 posts, read 65,657 times
i'm an LDS SAHM and not sure what difference it makes. i have lived here 16 months, not a big fan, only go places with my husband and child. it depends more on your wifes personality IMO. i dont go out of my way to be nice and i dont fake it, so having ZERO social life is my own fault.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,225,789 times
Dish TV, Direct TV, and cable are available...best of luck.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 16,658 times
I guess I don't understand the question??? The quality of life she makes at home is totally up to her. As far as when she wanders out of the house, that quality of life will be totally up to her, also.

Signed:
A Non-LDS(whatever the heck that matters) stay-at-home wife and parent for the past twenty-six years...and all of those years have been in Boise!! SHOCK!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM

12 posts, read 48,765 times
I have been a stay at home mom for most of my children's lives and my youngest in 16. I moved here when he was ten so I always had school hours alone in the home. There are quite a few activity centers where you can take smaller children during school hours for an outing on occasion. There is a learning museum downtown, a small theater, things like play places with bumper boats in the summer, there is a water park which has quite a few small children slides and pools. The river is always a great place to ride or walk on the adjacent walking paths. As for her, if she is interested in the gym or yoga there are plenty of places all over town which shouldn't be too far away no matter where you choose to live in town. I live in Meridian in and upscale middle class neighborhood which looks lovely and I would probably appreciate more were my children younger. Good luck on you home search!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,793 times
i am born and raised here, have an 18 month old and my mom was a stay at homer while we were young as well. I work two days a week to get some spending cash for the family and I love it here. I do get bored when it gets cold, so you have to go look for places to meet up. That is what we are currently doing now. You will love it if you come ) The northend is the best by the way, IMO. Oh, I am a catholic with lots of mormon friends. They all really help each other out a lot. Wish more people were like that. Religion only influences the person though, we make ourselves what we are each day. Take care!

Last edited by mamahaas; 10-27-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: spekking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area