Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,642 times

Advertisements

We bought a home in Nampa off 12th & Greenhurst, this will be are first winter coming up in this home. We have 2 Mini Schnauzers do we need to lock the doggy door at night and when were not home, due to any wild life that might be able to get over the wood fence? Or from the large trees that hang over the back fence? Other than common squirrels are they any animals or birds that might be a danger to our small dogs

Please advice,

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
On the same note..
Going to install a doggie door on our home in Emmett,
What's the chances of something coming in Like a skunk or possum??

Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Watch out for racoons.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Watch out for racoons.
Ooooooh yeah, and be especially careful if you, like many pet owners, are easily wooed by interactions with "cute" critters. Many racoons have become bold with human encroachment on their habitats, and will take food right from your hand. As I've seen demonstrated (at a dog/cat door, no less), this is tempting to try since it is indeed adorable... until they bring their gang and become aggressively self-entitled guests on a nightly basis.

You might as well give the time to a bunch of inner-city gang bangers by reading your Rolex.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Also, I don't know what development has done in the last decade, but in my day, the worst pests against small pets in Nampa or Emmett were racoons (as mentioned), coyotes, foxes, and badgers. Only racoons were bold enough to come into a human-smelling abode, though. No other species to really bat an eye at, either. For a small dog, odds are most any night would have no problem, but it would be adviseable to keep them indoors when you can't monitor them. Definitely keep up on shots for likely interactions with squirrels or whistlepigs once they get outside, too.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,642 times
I have not seen ant raccoons, or any of the other animals mention in this subdivision. Do they have a habit to wonder in areas like this? And are more likely to come out a night?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:10 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
Whistle pigs? I had to google that one. I think they are out during the day, but the other animals listed are mainly nocturnal. One good rule to follow is not to have any pet food outside and keep your garbage can lids good and tight--I know, duh, but it's just good common sense which some people lack. Speaking of which also hope you don't have any crazy neighbors who've made it there life's mission to feed them. There's a gal a block away from me that feeds the racoons which, of course, artificially raises their numbers. I know her next door neighbor and apparently it gets pretty loud during mating season! eek. :~/ D

Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
Whistle pigs? I had to google that one.
Oops, I meant groundhogs... my redneck is showing again.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
Now that clears things up. Groundhogs...

Cause around here Whistlepigs are Hookers

Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Now that clears things up. Groundhogs...

Cause around here Whistlepigs are Hookers
Hmmm, funny point... I actually learned that term during jr. high from a friend who grew up in Emmett. I wonder if there's some reason his family or their source adopted that term to describe groundhogs. Good to clear up, in any case, as an area where hookers might give your dog rabies would certainly be no area to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: