U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 97,345 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. We are thinking about moving to Boise from Tampa, FL depending on a job outcome. Now before you jump to any conclusions about our winter experience let me explain. My wife is from Chicago and hates extreme winters. We lived in the Indianapolis, IN area 2007-2008 and had a very hard time coping with the winter there. We lived in Albany, Oregon for 2 years and did just fine there. Albany, OR had like 1" max of snow the 2 years we were there and I believe the coldest it ever got was 18 deg. Indiana however was sub zero for the majority of the time and we received around 10" total of snowfall with tons of ice. I've made it through Connecticut and Rhode Island winters as well with no major complaints but I don't want to ever be in a mid-west winter again!

So I know it snows in Boise and gets cold but what do you the experts say? Are we talking 20 degrees and 4-5" of snow or -10 with blizzards?

I'm hoping if we do get to come out it will be like when we moved to OR and there were so much anti-Californiaism that no one noticed a couple of Floridians sneaking in.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM

25 posts, read 115,797 times
Born and raised in Wisconsin. Lived in Boise for a couple of years and it was much better than a Wisconsin winter. The dry climate makes a huge difference. On the coldest days, even though it may dip into the teens at night, the majority of the daytime highs were near 30 degrees.
Coming from the extreme cold of the midwest, Boise's winter was piece of cake for this midwesterner.

I never owned a shovel in Boise, I would just sweep the snow with my broom. Much better than the pounding we take in the in Wisconsin.

The summer is much hotter in Boise than the midwest. Sure it is much drier, but hot is hot. 100+ degree days are not uncommon for much of July and August.

Although I would probably chose a Wisconsin summer over a Boise summer, I would definitely take a Boise winter anyday over a Wisconsin winter. Overall I take Boise's climate over Wisconsin's climate.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks BOItoMSN. That's the kind of answers I'm hoping for!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 PM

8,047 posts, read 27,212,121 times
I've lived in Boise for over 30 years (read: all my life) and most years we don't get much snow. Most of the time, I also just use a push broom to "shovel" (and I do about a half acre of concrete). Some years I've had to actually shovel as many as a half dozen times, but just small amounts. This last year was the worst in a while, I had to shovel I think 13 times, some of which was heavy and wet. Driveways and sidewalks aren't bad though, since you usually don't have to shovel more than 2 inches at a time. Blizzards are very rare. I don't remember ever having anything I would classify as a blizzard actually in Boise. Most of the time, when we do get snow, it is just very pretty, softly falling snow.

As for temperature, as BOItoMSN said, it is pretty dry, so it doesn't feel as cold as some places would. The all time record low temperature was either -25 or -26, can't remember for sure, back in 1990. Got a TON of snow that year too. But usually, it doesn't go below 0.

The worst thing about Boise winters is that if we don't get a storm for a while, we get an inversion. So I always hope for a storm to come through every few weeks and clear the air. If we do get an inversion, it will be pretty cold, like in the teens, and any snow that is on the ground gets ugly and dirty.

As for the summers, BOItoMSN is right there too, lately 100+ for many days has been common. We seem to have gone through a climate shifting, whether because of global warming or not, our summers have definitely been hotter in recent years. Before the last 5 years, I would have said that 10 days over 100 would be max, but we had 17 (? I think) in a row a couple years ago and way more than 10 is normal now. But it is dry, so I don't think it really is that bad.

Boise really does usually get 4 full seasons, all of which are pretty nice.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,844,767 times
Not as bad as the Midwest (that biting cold only happens in January in N. Idaho) but a great deal colder than Tampa, as you could probably easily figure. Albany, OR is a close comparable bet, but think more eastward of Mt. Hood as it becomes more sage and less fern, if you will.

Boise's winter temperature will tend to be around 20s and 30s with a few freak teens here and there, all with ample warning as they'll come with the Arctic fronts that make everywhere in the West a lot colder than usual.

All in all, only fools hate those who relocate from out-of-state just for moving in. The justifiable animosity is really directed toward people who try to enact radical changes, whine about the general local disposition/politics, or violate what should be leave-no-trace wilderness. If you aren't a whiner (and if you "snuck" into Oregon, you probably aren't), you'll be just fine and the type of people who give you grief wouldn't be good friends to a native, either.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM

Lacerta= Thanks a lot for the response. The full 4 seasons is what attracts me to the NW, not to mention the scenery. I'm not to worried about the summer temps. as my screen name implies I'm sure I can handle it. Here in Tampa it has been in the 90's since May and with the humidity the heat index usually goes past 100.

Stingray = Thank you as well for the response. We would still be in Albany if the company I worked for didn't go down for the count. With the exception of the rain I thought the weather there was great. I agree with you about people hating relocators. I remember reading editorials in the Albany, OR news back in '06 and being thankful I wasn't from CA. Still to this day in FL I rarely meet anyone who is "from" here. The term melting pot is an understatement here.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:59 PM

2,755 posts, read 5,865,575 times
Most likely your experience in Albany, OR will most pretty closely mimick what you can expect from Boise winters. A lt of old-timers will swear to you that it used to snow a heckuva lot more than it does nowadays, but Boise weather is so schizophrenic one can never be sure what to expect. Witness today, and the past week or so: we went from a record-hot September, with temps in the final two weeks of the month staying 10-15 degrees above average, to temps NOW 12-20 BELOW average. LOL. From a/c to the heater in a few days. That's Boise.
Still, even with our goofy weather swings, you can rest assured we won't get Indy-like cold and snow. But since you're coming from FLA what I think will bug youmost about our winters is how bleak and gray they can get, and you're probably not gonna dig the inversons none too much either: that's what we get when a lo pressure systes sits on top of the Treasure Valley here and acts like a lid to trap in all the woodsmoke and car fumes.
For some reason they always smell like a big ol' nasty stockyard to me.
As far as anti-Californianism? Well, I always tell recently-arrived Calis to get those plates off their cars as soon as they can, since there is a fairly strong "Don't Californicate Boise" coalition here, and I must admit I am a card-carrying member, but hell, you'll be fine, coming from OR. Besides, there are so many ex-calis here now that they are damn near a majority.
Peace.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks Drummerboy. I'm really hoping the job situation will work out and we will get to come out to Boise. Not only would the weather be better but it is so crowded here I'm starting to feel claustrophobic! Would be so nice to be able to hunt something bigger than 100 lbs. too!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,077,576 times
Boise is a great place 8 mos out of the year. I hate the winters. But if you are good with cold dreary overcast days for 3 mos, you should be good. I'm pretty sure your Wifey can get a good perscription to get her through till spring.

Best of luck, we are moving southeast in the coming year...we just couldn't take it any longer. Many other reasons besides the weather...and as far as a melting pot...not so much here. Most family trees look like a telephone pole. Culture consists of the one mall and Cabela's.

Best of luck.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 AM

221 posts, read 821,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
As far as anti-Californianism? Well, I always tell recently-arrived Calis to get those plates off their cars as soon as they can, since there is a fairly strong "Don't Californicate Boise" coalition here <...>
That might have been true a decade or two ago, but hasn't been
like that for the past several years especially here in Boise. We
purchased an older Camry from my wife's sister in CA this past
summer, and drove it around with the CA plates for a couple of
months ... no problems whatsoever.

Actually, there was *one* guy, a biker wearing Road Brother colors,
who passed me on Maple Grove btw Franklin and Emerald with his
loud pipes, and kept checking me/car out in his mirrors at the stop-
light, but that was it.

Besides, it's WHO you are rather than WHERE you're from that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: