Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times

Advertisements

I've read here about how your public transport in Boise is sadly lacking. Is public transportation for the disabled readily available? Does it go into outlieing areas like Meridian or Nampa? My daughter uses a wheelchair and I know when she gets older, she'll want to be as independent as possible. :~) D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 12:13 PM

10 posts, read 27,562 times
I am in a similar situation. I have epilepsy and presently can't drive. I am considering moving to either the Meridian area or possibly the Nampa area in the near future. I have a job lined up once I get there already, but may need a second job to meet financial obligations. I used to live in the Boise area several years ago, in the late '80's up to the mid '90's. If I remember right, the bus system in Boise at that time didn't travel out to west Boise but once a day, which wasn't very convenient for those who needed it at different times during the day.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,077 times
Hi Deena.

I am disabled and think I can answer your question. The Boise public transit system has changed little since the 80's when I was a kid and rode the bus. I rely on the bus, but it can easily take me two hours round trip just to go to the Mall... and I am an in and out shopper, quick quick quick.

My ex is disabled also and she used a transportation service that took Medicaid (I think), but she hated the service as they were often late and she missed a few appointments because of this. That and sitting at the doc's office for hours waiting to be picked up.

So sadly the news for public transit for the disabled is bleak here in Boise. They are putting in a light rail system, but will be many years till it is City wide. So till then, we are at the mercy of the bus. And in the winter the buses run late if there is a lot of snow and ice on the road... sigh.

Sorry for the bad news.

Robert

Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 PM

10 posts, read 27,562 times
Thanks for the info. I lived in Great Falls back in the late '70's & early '80's, and it was maybe 20% the size of Boise & vic. It had a good bus system in it then, surprising for a city that was shrinking at that time (and only had Malmstrom AFB there that was keeping its economy going then). Billings, which was only slightly more populated, had an effective bus system there, also. For the most part, the bus in both places ran every hour, or half hour, I think. (Hard to remember that far back.) One would think that with the influx of Californians moving to the Boise area that things would become more advanced more rapidly, transportation included.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 PM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
Hmmm...that's disapointing news. Are there no DART type buses? That's a service in the Seattle and surrounding areas where a small bus will actually come and pick you up from your home and deliver you where you need to be. It can still be a pain to use, but at least it's something for the elderly and disabled who qualify. Especially useful if you have a standing appointment like church to go to every week. We've never used it because my daughter is still young, but I know several people who do. Not sure if it costs anymore then a regular ride.
I guess ISSGOD said something about a service like that, but it sounded more like a private one then one attached to the city buses.
Aside from Californians clamoring for a better bus system, you'd think that a growing elderly population would demand it, too. :~/ D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: