Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 8,556 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm new to this site. My wife and I are thinking about moving to Boise...I was wanting some information regarding the tone of political and religious views around Boise. Also if there is anything else you could add about the area that would also be nice (i.e. outdoor activities, tax information, good place for dogs?...things like that). Thank you for any helpful information you can give me.

regds, Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Hi Matt,

I'd suggest using the search feature, as you'll find quite a bit of info that will be relevant to your questions.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:47 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Boise metro is very conservative and fairly religious (as is most of Idaho). It's not like SLC, but things are definitely quieter on Sundays. There are a mix of religion but Mormon is far and away the dominant presence.

Some say the actual city of Boise is liberal, but that's only if you contrast it with the rest of Idaho. With that said, people don't seem too pushy with their values and beliefs, although it does happen occasionally.

Quite a bit of outdoor recreation, however, many are suprised to learn that Boise is in a desert. There are virtually no trees outside of town and gets very hot for a stretch in the summer.

It's not a good city for dogs in my opinion. There are a few off leash areas but only one dog park and it's a dive.

Taxes are reasonable, however, sales tax is charged on all food items.

Boise is an okay town but very overrated. Of course, that's just my opinion and your view may be quite different.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:07 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKC View Post
Hey, I'm new to this site. My wife and I are thinking about moving to Boise...I was wanting some information regarding the tone of political and religious views around Boise. Also if there is anything else you could add about the area that would also be nice (i.e. outdoor activities, tax information, good place for dogs?...things like that). Thank you for any helpful information you can give me.

regds, Matt

As Sage of Sagle said most of these questions have been answered in this forum but here is a quick answer to your questions.

Political and Religious---Boise is a mix of conservative and liberal, there have been many transplants move here from CA, WA, OR to name a few and the ones I have met are liberal and laid back. Boise is pretty low key but there are areas of town that are just as liberal as you would find in Seattle and some areas are pretty conservative too, mainly towards the Western edge of the city into Meridian because that is where most of the LDS/Mormons live. The LDS religion is not the dominant religion in Boise, I think it competes with the Roman Catholic faith. The further West into Meridian,Nampa,Caldwell you travel you will notice more LDS churches, but there are also just as many church buildings for other faiths. Most stores and restaurants are open on Sunday's, and downtown is the best place to spend a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

Outdoor activities are all around and Boise is a great base to enjoy the desert and the forests. Some people will gripe about the desert which I find strange because most Western cities are in the desert except for the Coast. The city has a lot of trees and if you want forest some of the most expansive forests anywhere are a quick drive into the mountains up out of Boise. A person can drive out of the city and be in beautiful mountainland and forests and it is a really quick drive to get there, or drive South of the city to the desert if you want that kind of solitude. If you are into the outdoors Boise is probably one of the best cities to live in, the diversity is amazing.

Dogs Dogs are like mountain bikes in Boise, nearly everyone has one.
There are a lot of off leash areas in the Foothills and if you enjoy using a leash the opportunities are endless between the foothills, parks, greenbelt, and walking the pooch around downtown. Trust me, Boise is an excellent dog city.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
My suggestion is to visit a couple times and for at least a week each. As you can see, different people can have quite different opinions of the same area. It just depends on what you're looking for and your basis of comparison.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM

93 posts, read 473,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Boise metro is very conservative and fairly religious (as is most of Idaho).....

Some say the actual city of Boise is liberal, but that's only if you contrast it with the rest of Idaho. With that said, people don't seem too pushy with their values and beliefs, although it does happen occasionally.

I agree.

I love Boise, but the social and political status quo, or even fringey pockets, are all relative. I grew up in D.C., and have lived all over the place, including NM, WA (seattle), CA, and along the east coast. In my experience, short of New Jersey, Boise is the most politically and socially conservative place I've lived in. Any time I ventured outside my little bubble of a community I felt a huge oppressive shift in the larger culture. But that's me! To others I know Boise feels very leftist, green, socially conscious, etc. Compared to the rest of Idaho, yes, compared to Seattle, or other Western cities I'd say not so much.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:29 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
There is a big influx of Californians, so I think you will find more liberal people than you would have years ago.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
Based on my perception--for every 1 liberal ex-Californian, there are 2 ex-wacko californians. Most Liberal ex-Californians head to Oregon or Washington.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:48 AM

10 posts, read 28,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Based on my perception--for every 1 liberal ex-Californian, there are 2 ex-wacko californians. Most Liberal ex-Californians head to Oregon or Washington.
What do you mean by ex-wacko californian?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:09 PM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMANFZ1 View Post
What do you mean by ex-wacko californian?
Maybe Jarndyce meant ex-Waco Californians, but I reckon they'd move to Montana. Otherwise, I'd take it to mean that the liberals are the sane ones and the rest of us are crazy. It's all how you look at it. :~) D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area