Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:02 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times

Advertisements

When you get out of the lame football hype, Boise State is stepping it up with academics and research and new academic buildings on campus. Here is some info:
Boise State University’s Mid-Year Total for Research and Grant Awards Hits Another Record High – Communications & Marketing (http://news.boisestate.edu/blog/2010/02/02/boise-state-research-and-grant-awards/ - broken link)

“Boise State is driving the advancement and application of knowledge that addresses some of the major challenges facing society in health, the environment, technology and many other fields,” said Boise State President Bob Kustra. “As we mark these milestones of the present, we remain focused on future growth and achievement as a metropolitan research university of distinction.”

Vice President for Research Mark Rudin said the number of new grant proposals by faculty has increased more than 70 percent over the last two years.

“Our faculty continue to raise the bar on Boise State’s competitiveness as an innovative research institution,” Rudin said, “and the current year numbers indicate that Boise State will continue to have the fastest growing research program in Idaho.”

Another promising trend is the rise in awards from the National Science Foundation and National Institutes of Health. Mid-year totals far exceed previous watermarks, with $4.7 million from the NSF and $4.6 million from the NIH. Highlights include:

• Janet Callahan, professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering and associate dean for academic affairs in the College of Engineering, was principal investigator on a $590,753 NSF grant to fund the Idaho Science Talent Expansion Program (STEP). STEP seeks to increase the number of students receiving associate or baccalaureate degrees in established or emerging fields within science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

• Julia Oxford, professor in the Department of Biological Sciences and director of the Biomolecular Research Center in the College of Arts and Sciences, was principal investigator on a $211,500 NIH grant to fund her research on cell signaling in collagen as it relates to birth defects such as cleft palate and congenital hearing and vision problems.

And more info here:
Research at Boise State University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
They ranked 465 on Forbes top 500 rated schools. Just FYI.
I guess it's safe to assume that their MBA is outside the top 100. It sounds like they're heading in the right direction at least.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:45 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
You didn't say what your price range is, but this one looks decent.
1100 S Owyhee, Boise, ID 83705 - Boise Real Estate

Here's one just a few minutes from BSU that's bank owned, you may be able to get it quite cheap. It's just one house off Rose Hill if that's a problem. It looks decent but not updated at all.
http://www.coldwellbankertg.com/Defa...20Results.htm;

Old 02-12-2010, 12:56 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,101 times
Re: Boise State, while I didn't attend and don't know anything about their academics first hand, I can say with some authority that college is what you make of it. Unless you go to a top ivy league or similar college it almost doesn't matter where you go IMO.

I went to a state college in California, got good grades, and learned what I needed and wanted to learn. I went to work as a stockbroker after college and my career went forward from there. I retired at 43. Life, careers, college, etc. is what you decide to make of it.

I'd have no problem with my kids going to Boise State and I hope they go to CSI for the first two years here in Twin. I have little desire for them to go to a top tier school unless they want it and get scholarships.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 35,117 times
Thank you for the input on Boise State. I agree that you get out of college what you put in. I was not trying to knock BSU, and am excited to be attending, I just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience/advice about the particular depts we are interested in (communications and art).

As for the housing, our price range is 160,000 to 180,000...leaning more towards the 160 side. We compiled our list today, with 11 homes making the cut, and are excited to physically walk into homes the first week of March. I really tried to stay in the Bench and SE, without going too far South. I think the furthest South we went is the Breckenridge Sub.

I think it will really help actually driving around Boise, and seeing the proximity of things to campus and I-84. I will be sure and let you know where we finally settled :-).

Thanks again for all the advice.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 35,117 times
Just an update for anyone planning on moving to Boise. My husband and I arrived in March, and immediately felt at home. The mountains, the North End (NOBO!), the greenbelt, the friendly people...I can go on...but I won't. You will have to see for yourself if Boise is for you, but we feel lucky to be relocated here. As for the house hunt, we found our perfect house in SE, just off of Bergeson. I can run to the greenbelt in 5 minutes, I can see tablerock from my backyard, I have already met all of my neighbors, they even invited us out to dinner the first night we moved in! I really do feel like I stumbled on a great secret. Maybe I should keep it quiet, incase too many people move up here and make it like the city I grew up in, Sherwood Oregon. If you lived there 15 years ago you would not even recognize it today.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,405 times
That area that you moved into is a great location. Not the closest to the Freeway, but it definitely has alot of amenities that are very desirable (to say nothing of the great resale value).

Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Bergeson is fairly close to the Freeway. Just head up Federal Way and then up Broadway. Takes about 5 minutes or less.

Not so close to the Connector, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area